Anyone else get the DVC survey re: DVC 'elite' club?

Disney recently allowed buy-ins of 100 points. Those buyers should be considered "Full members." I understand what you are saying about the owners of only 25 points. I still feel "special" owning and staying in DVC villas, I feel very lucky. I do not want to be a salesperson for DVC and in fact, I do routinely throw out those flyers that encourage me to sell to friends. I have a DF who went to a presentation and gave my name on her own. She's on their list now and gets all sorts of mail, including most that we get as members, usually a little later than we do.

It's things like this that I remember when I fill out surveys that ask " Is WDW where dreams come true." I always reply "no" and wish to write in that it's a business, but I do like and use its product.

Bobbi:goodvibes

It would be nice if we could opt not to get the referral mailers, don't want them and don't use them.

I see the logic behind what they are doing, if they do, and as long as it doesn't impact our basic rights as members, we really can't complain. The perks we get are not just to keep us happy because Disney has an altruistic view on life. You get what they think you need to keep the $$ flowing in their direction. It's a business and if they create an elite club that generates revenue, can you blame them. You want the perks, pay the price to enjoy them. Otherwise enjoy the perks you get for the price you pay now. They are, and have been, subject to change on a moments notice.

When the perks we get now, get shifted to an elite club, and those shifts violate our POS, we have the standing to complain.
Just my $.02

I REALLY HATE the idea of an elitist attitude with DVC!!!!! Now, if they limited it to all members who had the minimum contract it wouldn't bother me too much, since I'm one of those who think the minimum contracts shouldn't change either. I don't understand how they can bounce around the minimum from 230 to 150, to 160, to 100...ARGH!!! Just make a limit for complete membership and be done with it!

I suspect the high number of resales of 25-50 point contracts might actually be driving this boat. I think it's why they are again raising the minimum purchase at BLT. If they don't want people to be members with just 25 points, than make THAT the rule, not all this other "Mickey Mouse" stuff!

That's right. If there were no allowed memberships below the minimum required by Disney, they wouldn't need to have any "elite" club.

Well, DVC changed the booking dates from check out date to check in date. They changed banking deadlines to 100% at 8 months. Why not change the reservation advantage?

I think anything they offer to elite DVC members would to be cost free to DVC, so banking deadlines, booking deadlines, fastpasses, etc. are the first that come to my mind.

Add to that list, location requests, I have feeling that would be at the top of the "elite" list.

As to referrals, when DVC starts listening to my complaints and from other members and actually taking action; I will be glad to sell their product, until then they can sell it themselves.

Thanks to several posters who correctly noted that the word 'elite' was mine, and not DVC's. I should have used a different word, but that's the word that came to mind at the time.

We certainly have to wait to see what, if anything, comes of this. But I don't think some perks that DO NOT detract from other members ownership would be so bad. I definitely do not think they should (or will) have different booking windows for this group of members. But when you compare a 1000 point owner (paying $5000+ yearly maintenance fees) with a 25 point owner (paying $125 yearly maintenance fees), what would be so terrible about a free cookie and glass of punch at a social hour?

btw, this is not unusual. Marriott and Hilton timeshares have special benefits for multiple week/large points ownership. Every hotel chain and airline has some sort of loyalty program. I get free breakfast at Hilton and Marriott hotels because of my status. But I don't get any special privileges with any airline, and I certainly don't resent those who do because they fly 20 or 30 times a year and I don't. They've earned it. I didn't.

Even Disney has a number of benefits for targeted groups. They frequently have special offer mailings for specific geographic areas. Florida residents get a lot of special perks. UK and Canadian residents often get special treatment, especially if the exchange rate is not good for them.

Even DVC has special incentives for larger purchases. X$ off a purchase of 100 points or more. Double developer points if you purchase while on a cruise. California purchasers getting first crack at Grand Californian points. Nobody complains about those.

I think we need to cool off a bit and not jump to conclusions.

This concerns me. One of the things I really like about DVC is that they treat all members equally. It doesn't matter if you bought resale, it doesn't matter that you only own 25 points, every member gets the same perks, and the use of there membership. In many other timeshare points programs they have different levels of membership. If you only buy a few points, or buy resale, you become second class citizens, not entitled to the same benefits as the VIP owners.

Another way to dump on us "sub-prime" points owners. First they switch to RCI and now we'll end up with ownership levels. Just another way to make our ownership "more valuable"?
Just Great!:confused:

Most of the other timeshare systems that have similar programs offer several "nice" but extremely inexpensive perks---a newspaper delivered daily, early check-in, that sort of thing. A few offer discounted access to distress inventory, but that would likely end up in breakage anyway. A few offer some limited early-booking privileges to non-home resorts. In the grand scheme of things, they are very minor, and don't really impact any of the other owners in a material way. But, they do make those who qualify feel special, and that is their purpose.

Another way to dump on us "sub-prime" points owners. First they switch to RCI and now we'll end up with ownership levels. Just another way to make our ownership "more valuable"?
Just Great!:confused:
You forgot to add, "What's next?" to which I'm thinking, "... differentiation between retail and resale ownership ..."

Most of the other timeshare systems that have similar programs offer several "nice" but extremely inexpensive perks---a newspaper delivered daily, early check-in, that sort of thing. A few offer discounted access to distress inventory, but that would likely end up in breakage anyway. A few offer some limited early-booking privileges to non-home resorts. In the grand scheme of things, they are very minor, and don't really impact any of the other owners in a material way. But, they do make those who qualify feel special, and that is their purpose.

That sounds a bit like ME, where the guests taking ME have the first shot a vacant room, even if I'm standing there already, checking in and I drove so I have to wait for a room to be available.

I agree....sounds like they will be treating us according to our number of points. No longer will we all be part of the same club. I don't like it.

I totally agree!!! I think everyone should be treated the same.

You know what the perk for owning a large number of points should be....? You get to go on vacation more often. That is it!!!!JMHO

That sounds a bit like ME
The difference being an ME guest is merely a captive audience member who might spend a few extra dollars on bottled water, whereas a big-point DVC owner has measurably contributed to the company's bottom line. The latter is a lot more understandable.

I don't mind if they give some additional perks to members at higher point levels, but I certainly wouldn't want them to get earlier booking rights. I think I would be resentful if they took away perks from those of us at lower levels, but not if they simply gave new perks. I might be a little envious, but it wouldn't sour my experience with DVC. (We're not likely to ever have enough DVC points to be in any high point owner club; we like to vacation other places too much.)

I wouldn't think it a terrible thing to have one set of perks for those with under 100 points, another set for owners with 100 - 500, and a third set for owners with more than 500 points (or more than 1000, or whatever they set.) That said, I don't really want to see something that specifically discriminates against resale buyers, although I guess I can see somehow penalizing (or at least not rewarding) people who own fewer points than the minimum buy in from Disney.

"Member Treasures"?

I'm sorry - it just sounds like the title of a DVC "adult video". :banana:

Please no.

We certainly have to wait to see what, if anything, comes of this. But I don't think some perks that DO NOT detract from other members ownership would be so bad. I definitely do not think they should (or will) have different booking windows for this group of members. But when you compare a 1000 point owner (paying $5000+ yearly maintenance fees) with a 25 point owner (paying $125 yearly maintenance fees), what would be so terrible about a free cookie and glass of punch at a social hour?
I do not get the "xxx paid 10x more in MF than YYY" so their entitled to something? XXX gets a 10x better, bigger and/or longer stay! That is quite sufficient!

I certainly would not cry over lost cookies, though.

Not all large points owners are extra low maintaince. someone with 5x points may just do 5 stays, and incur 5x the MS calls and 5x mousekeeping costs.
If DVC wants to reward an efficient behavior, tell us that behavior and reward us for doing so. If all e-mail reservations are cheaper than calls, then give us all an e-mail reservation credit or check-in gift.

If large points buyers should get more sales incentives, then give them more sales incentives. don't feel guilty after you suckered 'em in.

Most other developers don't use these programs to reward just any old purchasers. Most reward only retail purchasers. They are used to encourage current owners to upgrade their holdings. Such sales are much lower in marketing costs, and represent significantly better profit for the developer.

Clubs are always good ideas. I am a Diamond member on Royal Caribbean and I am loyal because of it. I hope its not to punish resale. I bought resale but will buy more points direct in the future. Perks are Perks. It should be by how many points you have. If you are over 500 you deserve to be in a special club. Hey Club 500 sounds good. Gives me a goal to make :rotfl:

Most other developers don't use these programs to reward just any old purchasers. Most reward only retail purchasers. They are used to encourage current owners to upgrade their holdings. Such sales are much lower in marketing costs, and represent significantly better profit for the developer.
R-i-g-h-t ... so shouldn't we be considering the impact this will have on future resale prices?

"Member Treasures"?

I'm sorry - it just sounds like the title of a DVC "adult video". :banana:

Please no.

:rotfl: :lmao: What do you expect from a company who just named their newest resort after a sandwich?!:rotfl2: :rolleyes1

Hmmm, I picture a little card that allows the holder to get into the viewing deck at BLT while the rest of the DVC masses are standing in the hallway, entrance denied.

Since the smaller contracts are only availble through resale (for those who don't already own) it sounds like it could be a way of damping down the resale market. The DVC salespeople will be able to hold up this new status as a perk by buying direct. WDYT???

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter