Anyone else get "stinky" Disney luggage?

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by patsal, Jun 21, 2006.

1. patsal

patsal <font color=FF3399>I've discovered I don't need to

My red luggage came today and I was so psyched, until I opened the box--this stuff is STINKY--It really smells bad--kind of like cigarettes and musty. Did anyone have this problem--my hamper under sepatate shipment is also rather stinky in the same way. What do you think would have caused this? Should I try something before I send the items back?

2. java

java <font color=darkorchid>I am embracing the Turkey B

My nemo luggage(for my little guy) came with a strong chemical smell..... kind of gas/plastic combo. But I left them out for a while and once the plastic was off and they got some fresh air they were fine. I was going to Febreeze them but I was happy with the lack of odor after the airing out.

3. Steamboat Marti

Steamboat Marti <marquee><font color=purple>Chick-In-Charge Wannab

My luggage arrived with a smell too -- something in the petroleum family. It aired out well and Febreeze is a godsend!

4. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  5. Redwitch

Redwitch DIS Veteran

Try sticking a fabric softener dryer sheet inside it. Sounds weird, but sometimes it works!

6. justplaingoofy

justplaingoofy DIS Veteran

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: I blamed it on our dog!!!! :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

I opened our box and the dog was breathing in my face :rotfl: I thought the smell was from him!!

Once I threw the box & plastic away I didn't notice it anymore!

7. patsal

patsal <font color=FF3399>I've discovered I don't need to

Thanks, I'll try the febreze and get the boxes out to the trash. :cool1:

8. Mad4Mickey

Mad4Mickey <font color=FF66FF>All SINGLE Firemen have a MARRI

this is so funny I swear when I got mine in April I thought it was just me . I sent it to my in laws so they could use the air purifier ( Alpine rocks I just cant afford one) they had to lock it in the spare room open with the filter for a week and even then it needed Febreeze .

9. DisneyMomx7

DisneyMomx7 DIS Veteran

Oh great - I'm expecting mine today or tomorrow. Thank goodness for Fabreeze and fabric softener sheets!

10. PB'sMOM

PB'sMOM Mouseketeer

JustPlainGoofy-sure blame it on the dog-it's always the animals ;) -good thing you didn't throw the dog away-LOL.
    I should get my luggage this week-I think I'll let it air outside.

Cindy :wave:

11. BoPeep

BoPeep DIS Veteran

We aired ours out and thought that the smell was gone, but once you put your clothes in and they are zipped up in there for a few days, they smell just like that gross smell the luggage had to start with. At least that's what happened to us. So in other words, we were the stinky people at Disney World. :lmao:

12. Disnicole

Disnicole Earning My Ears

Ours came with a strong chemical/plastic smell. But what is far worse is the shower curtain that arrived. I have had my bathroom door closed and the window open for almost a week trying to air it out and the smell still knocks you out when you walk in the bathroom.

13. ktglads

ktglads DIS Veteran

The cigarette smoke would be possible if your delivery person smoked in his/her truck. This could cause the boxes and items in there to smell like smoke as well. It happens to me every so often when there is a temporary mail carrier who smokes in his truck

14. canwegosoon

canwegosoon DIS Veteran

I have the same smell on a blouse I got recently. It has been airing out for 2 weeks plus the time at the store...it is fading, but still a little strong. :guilty:

15. MyZoeJane

MyZoeJane DIS Veteran

FWIW, leaving things out in the sun for several hours really does wonders for killing a smell... Something about the heat of the sun really helps to zap the smell out of something stinky. :thumbsup2

16. Caitsmama

Caitsmama <font color=darkorchid>Closet Hannah Montana Fan!<

oh, man! I am supposed to be getting mine today..lol .. Can't wait! LOL

17. Disneydreaming6

Disneydreaming6 Mouseketeer

I received mine the other day, and didn't open it until just now after reading this post. OMG... I really hope that smell goes away. Why would they need to make or use products that would leave a smell like that on items that people are buying. At least we'll beable to find each other in the world. we'll all have the same smell. :rotfl2:

18. DisneyMomx7

DisneyMomx7 DIS Veteran

I use the ziploc bag method for packing - do you think that would keep the odor off the clothes? I'm going to keep mine out in the sun, use febreeze, and stuff the suitcase with dryer sheets. Hopefully we won't have stinky clothes when we unpack or else we are going to have one heck of a drycleaning bill again. I don't mind doing some laundry in Disney but I know for a fact I don't intend on doing laundry the first day we get there. Wish me luck!

19. Nurse_Mommy4

Nurse_Mommy4 DIS Veteran

You have got to be kidding me.. :rotfl2: I guess that luggage (or at least the sale) was pretty popular!!! I have four sets (red, black, Dash and princess) that should arrive today or tomorrow. Good thing I have plenty of time to try and get the odor out. :goodvibes

20. bartleby1

bartleby1 DIS Veteran

Many things that come from the disney store have that petroleum/plastic smell. My DD opened a gift from my sister on her 5th birthday that was a polly pocket type set of disney princesses. Immediately, she said that it smelled like the disney store! That was the first time I realized it, but she was right. I bought a pair of sandals for my son that stunk so bad I took them back.

As far as a smoke or musty smell though, I would think that was from the UPS truck or warehouse where someone was smoking.

21. shades

shades DIS Veteran

I bought 4 of the black Mickey laptop cases and the box had something spilled on the side when I received it from UPS. The box didn't smell, but - the cases smelled like they had been dipped in gasoline. I let them air out for 4 days and the house was beginning to smell like them - even after I Febreezed them. I called Disneyshopping and they reshipped new ones and sent UPS to pick up the stinky ones for free return shipping. So, I received the new ones and they stink too - but, not as bad and are airing out. I've Febreezed them and the odor is just so strong its a tough one to get rid of. I'll try setting them out in the sun - maybe that will take care of it once and for all! :thumbsup2