Anyone doing the Disneyworld 5k in less than two weeks?

goofeygirl

DIS Veteran
I signed up for that race...the whole family is doing it...plus in laws ect.
I am looking forward to it.
Noticed they don't have a 'results' page for it. My father is doing the 5k race for the first time since high school I think. He is in his mid seventies and will walk it. He wants to do something with his grandkids. In truth, I think it will take him over an hour to do it.
Looking forward to it!

goofeygirl said:
Noticed they don't have a 'results' page for it. My father is doing the 5k race for the first time since high school I think. He is in his mid seventies and will walk it. He wants to do something with his grandkids. In truth, I think it will take him over an hour to do it.
Looking forward to it!

I am! My first Disney 5K. :) Since it is a fun run they don't time it..hence no results page.

Have a great race!

Definitely a fun run with no timing. For your FiL, no worries on being swept as long as he is moving and having a great time. I see photos and videos in the 1:10 range often.

goofeygirl said:
Looking forward to it!

I'm doing it!

Thanks! I was actually worried that one of those imfamous white vans that are used for the half and full might be in on the 5k and would hate to think he was too slow for a 5k.
He bought new sneakers and gear for this race!
I am looking forward to it because it is a family race and I am taking my camera with me.
Does anyone know how many people are in this race? I know the half last year had somewhere around 23 - 25000 runners.
I am like a kid! Geeze just over a week away!

DD (17 yrs) and I are doing it! This is our first Disney race. I am also doing the 1/2 on Saturday, so I am hoping the 5k will be a good "warm-up".

Does anyone know if there are lots of characters out for photo ops during the 5k?

So excited! I am going to start packing today!:cool1:

Thanks! I was actually worried that one of those imfamous white vans that are used for the half and full might be in on the 5k and would hate to think he was too slow for a 5k.
He bought new sneakers and gear for this race!
I am looking forward to it because it is a family race and I am taking my camera with me.
Does anyone know how many people are in this race? I know the half last year had somewhere around 23 - 25000 runners.
I am like a kid! Geeze just over a week away!

Make sure the shoes are broken in. I did the half marathon, with new shoes (bought them 2 days before) and my feet were really sore after the 3rd mile, making the last 10 really painful.

DD (17 yrs) and I are doing it! This is our first Disney race. I am also doing the 1/2 on Saturday, so I am hoping the 5k will be a good "warm-up".

Does anyone know if there are lots of characters out for photo ops during the 5k?

There are quite a few....

There will not be any on the Chuckster 5k at OKW... we start at 0500 on Firday so we can clear out, clean up and get to Goofy at 0700. Well maybe one character :)

There are quite a few....

There will not be any on the Chuckster 5k at OKW... we start at 0500 on Firday so we can clear out, clean up and get to Goofy at 0700. Well maybe one character :)

What do you mean you start at 5am friday, clear out and get to Goofy at 7am...

Make sure the shoes are broken in. I did the half marathon, with new shoes (bought them 2 days before) and my feet were really sore after the 3rd mile, making the last 10 really painful.

No he has worn his for a few weeks now and since day one they feel great. I once tried out a pair of $30.00 sneakers and walked the treadmil for a half marathon and geeze louise my feet ached which caused my knees to ache which went to my hips...I was like a 90 year old by the end. It taught me this: thank goodness I tested the shoes beforehand and invest in good shoes or your WHOLE body will pay the price not just your feet!

Lol. I know what you mean. To be honest, I have already put my costumes in the suitcase!:yay:

What do you mean you start at 5am friday, clear out and get to Goofy at 7am...

Sorry, I have a breakfast ressie at Cape May (with Goofy). I started running 3-5 miles on Friday before the Goofy Challenge to loosen up and find pace.

I am doing the 5K - will be my first. DH is doing the half and DD is doing the full marathon. Stupid question - for pictures with the characters along the way do they have photopass or do you run with your own camera. DD was wondering the same thing for the marathon - she will keep her time?with her running watch and just stop it when she stops for pics. I have been doing a lot of running on the treadmill (so boring!!) but know that I will probably be doing a little bit of walking along the way. Looking forward to it.

Sorry, I have a breakfast ressie at Cape May (with Goofy). I started running 3-5 miles on Friday before the Goofy Challenge to loosen up and find pace.

Okay got it...I had to google where in Disney Cape May was...found it okay...didn't realize Goofy would be there but I hope y'all have a great breakfast!

I am doing the 5K - will be my first. DH is doing the half and DD is doing the full marathon. Stupid question - for pictures with the characters along the way do they have photopass or do you run with your own camera. DD was wondering the same thing for the marathon - she will keep her time?with her running watch and just stop it when she stops for pics. I have been doing a lot of running on the treadmill (so boring!!) but know that I will probably be doing a little bit of walking along the way. Looking forward to it.

Good for you on your first 5k! Great that its a family thing too with everyone engaged in their own race!
I know from the half last year there were both professional photographers and personal cameras around. The pros were all over...but I don't recall if they were at EVERY stop where there were charactors...a lot of runners have their own cameras built into their little devices.
However the 5k I don't know. This is my first Disney 5k..I am taking my own camera though, even though its a pita.

Good for you on your first 5k! Great that its a family thing too with everyone engaged in their own race!
I know from the half last year there were both professional photographers and personal cameras around. The pros were all over...but I don't recall if they were at EVERY stop where there were charactors...a lot of runners have their own cameras built into their little devices.
However the 5k I don't know. This is my first Disney 5k..I am taking my own camera though, even though its a pita.

+1 on the great job running your first 5k

First, they will NOT have photo pass, at any of the races. What has occurred on the larger races and I would think the 5k is that Brightroom will send out folks to many of the character spots. Brightroom is the official photograph of the race weekend. In the 5k they will shoot an action photo with Spaceship Earth in the background and then one or two other locations.

What I would do is bring a small camera or phone and toss the camera to the character handler. Brightroom will snap a photo also while you are with the character. The reason for splitting the photo is that Brightroom's may not turn out, or even more common, your bib may not fully show. IF that is the case, your Brightroom photo heads to the orphaned pile. Also, Brightroom can be pricy. They have a digital package that works for me, as long as I find a few photos I like. In the event you do not like their pricing or you do not take a photo where they are located, having your camera is a great back up.

francie57 said:

If there are professional photographers at the 5K (not sure if there are since this will be my first time running it) they are NOT Photopass...they are brightroom, a company that Disney hires to do sports photography. Just an FYI, there is a Goofy package available so you may be able to buy the photos from your husband's half and daughter's full as a combined package for $150 (instead of buying them separately for $100 apiece). On that note...much cheaper to bring your own camera rather than buy the photos.

I bring my own small point-and-shoot camera camera and it's really not a big deal to just carry it with me.

ETA: Oops, didn't realize that Coach already answered this one. :) Congrats on your first 5K, francie57!

I'll be doing the 5K, half and full marathon. Typically my friends and I wear costumes and nearly walk the entire race, however this year because of our race schedule we decided not to wear any costumes. If you decide to walk the race that is fine as long as you meet the require pace requirements.

I'll be doing the 5K, half and full marathon. Typically my friends and I wear costumes and nearly walk the entire race, however this year because of our race schedule we decided not to wear any costumes. If you decide to walk the race that is fine as long as you meet the require pace requirements.

So what was your time...for the half and the full?

My goal is to cross the finish line...I can only pray the balloon ladies don't take me away!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter