Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by alicecr, Feb 4, 2005.
Just wondering now that payments are coming up soon for West Coast cruises if anyone is cancelling.
Log in or Sign up to hide this advert.
there have obviously been cancellations on the repo cruises with all the cabins that have recently become available.....
I transferred our 6/4/05 reservation back to a western caribbean cruise sailing this fall. While I'm encouraged that DCL is experimenting with a ship out here, I think this trial run by the Magic is mostly a shameless cash grab (the Disney stockholder in me is OK with this). For what I was quoted for a category 7 room on the first day they took reservations, I can fly the 3 of us to Florida and go on a cruise this fall and still save about $1500. For that same cat. 7 DCL price, I could have booked the best suite on the Carnival ship (Glory?) which leaves the next day and sails the same itinerary. A similar cabin would have been a bit less than half the DCL price. I'm OK with paying a bit more for the Disney product, but not double the price.
In the end, the novelty of the west coast DCL cruise didn't hold up to what it would cost. I suspect that if and when a third DCL ship is in service and based out here, the prices will be more in line with what the other lines charge for a 7-night Mexican Riviera cruise. I'm willing to wait until then.
That's why we passed on booking a Mexican Riviera cruise and booked the repo cruise instead ... what we consider truly a once in a lifetime opportunity (yeah, yeah we could do it on another cruise line, but why?? )
The repo cruises, if ressies were secured that first day, are really a great value.....I plan on travelling with 2 of my friends, no family this time and I figured my cost alone is under $2,000 for my R/T air, pre night hotel and 2 week cruise (including tips!!!). That is for a Cat 9 O/V...I can't imagine how much cheaper it would have been if I was able to call earlier in the day. I did not book until 6 pm the day ressies opened up!
No not us. Also, a note on DCL's pricing. Their pricing for the West Coast sailings really isn't all much more than the 2006 summer sailings. We're looking at sailing in July 2006, and that Eastern is currently only pricing out only $700 less than our West Coast sailing is currently pricing at. Now, that is also about 17 months in advance, whereas our West Coast sailing is leaving in 5 months. Really not a HUGE increase for DCL for their summer sailings. Their summer sailings are always MUCH more expensive than late fall sailings, trust me, we've taken two late fall sailings. With our kids getting older and it being harder to take them out of school, summers are really becoming the only time we can go.
No...Not cancelling either. You have to remember this is the 50th birthday celebration and they will have lots of special things going on this cruise. You only turn 50 once!
Our family cancelled 2 of the 3 staterooms we'd booked...DH, DD, DS and I are still going, but due to health reasons and a likely divorce (SIL & hubby), they all are not.
I even found the same cabin SIL was suppose to have on Expedia for only a few hundred dollars more than originally booked 6 months earlier for!
I gotta think these cruises (West Coast) will refill up fast...this area is such an untapped market for DCL!
How are you able to tell how many cabins have recently become available? I'd sure like to be able to see how much space is unsold on my cruise, so I could gauge whether to wait on booking a second stateroom.
If you go to the DCL web site (disneycruise.com) and go "through the motions" of booking a cruise, they will show you what categories are available. If there are enough cabins available in a particular category, they will allow you to select your cabin #, otherwise they show up as GTY (guarantee).
Separate names with a comma.