Anyone been to Disneyland the day they tape the Christmas Parade?

Discussion in 'Disneyland (California)' started by summer0407, Aug 29, 2010.

1. summer0407

summer0407 Mouseketeer

We are going to be heading to parks Dec 9-11 I just read they will be taping the Christmas parade on the 11th. Can anyone tell me how the crowds are when they do that taping? Is the parade early in the day? We really can't do much as far as changing the dates but I want to try to have some sort of schedule worked out for the day so maybe we will stay in DCA while they tape it then head over later. I don't have any desire to watch it so I really want to try to stay clear of the area while it is going on. Any info from people that have been at the parks when this has gone on in the past would be great. Thanks so much!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. letitsnow

letitsnow Mouseketeer

Where did you find this information? I'm just asking because it usually happens at the beginning of the holiday season before they put up the garland because some of the floats won't fit?

4. summer0407

summer0407 Mouseketeer

It was on the huge Christmas thread. One poster had a daughter that was going to be participating in it.

5. YellowMickeyPonchos

YellowMickeyPonchos <font color=magenta>Remember when everyone had one

6. summer0407

summer0407 Mouseketeer

Thanks do much for the post the blog was so fun to read. I am hoping I may be wrong with the dates since last year it was taped so early in November. I am going to re read the Christmas thread now. I hope if we stay clear of the taping areas we will be OK if in fact it is during our visit. Thanks so much again!!

7. mariezp

mariezp DIS Veteran

I seem to recall running across the post on the Christmas thread but I was thinking it would be taped in November. YellowMickeyPoncho's blog from last year was in November too. Any one out there know for sure?

8. VictoriaAndMatt

VictoriaAndMatt DIS Veteran

The last time I was there for the Christmas season they were taping the parade while I was there. We were there on December 15, 2004... multiple days, but that one sticks out because that is the day DH proposed :love: Obviously it was a while ago so things may be different now. Crowds weren't bad at all.

9. letthembelittle

letthembelittle Mouseketeer

We were there last year when they taped the parade in early November, it didnt cause much a crowd difference that I noticed plus it was fun to see the floats and taping process as we walked by things they were doing.

10. letitsnow

letitsnow Mouseketeer

A few years ago I got in line at 5am when we found out that Miley Cyrus was performing in front of the castle. We got a great view and even made it on tv! They went over it at least a dozen times sometimes just recording the crowds and having her redo some parts. Dh and ds got bored and left right when they finally focused on our group.

It is a very fun experience but you have to be very patient waiting in line and waiting as they perform. This was when Hannah Montana concert tickets were going for hundreds of dollars. This was even better..free concert at the Happiest Place on Earth!!

If anyone gets some insider information please post..I want to go again!!

11. DLtorgo

DLtorgo waiting for my next Disney fix

I was there last year. I posted this on the Christmas thread, but it is hard to find stuff on there.

Someone posted a while ago that their daughter was going to dance in the parade and that Dec 11th was when the filming was. Nothing official from Disney has come out yet.

12. roobug

roobug Mouseketeer

We've been there a few times when they tape the parade. Main street can be a pain, but the rest of the park was great. We didn't have any issues, and none of the trips stick out in my memory as being bad. I do remember one year being surprised at how easy it was to get on rides, and it was fun because we saw a few of the stars that were hosting. Also for us it added to the holiday spirit.

13. disneyfaninaz

disneyfaninaz It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!

We have been there during taping in the past and have seen Ryan Seacrest and Rascal Flatts perform. We even saw Hannah Montana being interviewed before she became the phenom she is now. We did however, avoid Main Street during actual taping and stayed in Adventureland, NOS, Critter Country, Frontierland, etc. to avoid the crowds.

14. YellowMickeyPonchos

YellowMickeyPonchos <font color=magenta>Remember when everyone had one

I'm almost positive it will be the first full weekend in November this year. It has been that way the last 2 or 3 years. Last year is really the first time they decided to spread it out over multiple days.

The reason - they really lost a lot of time and light for filming. It's supposed to look like this takes place first thing in the morning on Christmas. If they are filming into the late evening - the lighting is a dead giveaway. Sure it can be "fixed" a little, but still - nothing replaces direct sun of the day. The taping of all of the dance students takes the longest. Plus, when they do the actual parade, they have to bring it forward, back it up, reset it, redo the dancing, etc.

Having the "concert" segments filmed on a different day allowed the crew to be able to focus on the filming at hand.