Anyone a Freelance writer? Help please!

ShelsGoingToDisney

DIS Veteran
I have been contacted by a publishing company to write a teaching unit to accompany a chapter book series that they publish. I am a former teacher and I have an online business selling teaching units that I have written for popular chapter books. They want me to write something that will be downloaded for free to teachers so there would be no royalty dues owed to me. What they will do is give me a set fee for the work. They want to know my rates. I have never been hired in this way before and I have NO idea where to begin to figure out a fair rate. I estimate the project to take about 35 hours. It wouldn't be a paid by the word type thing. Anybody have any idea what a fair rate would be? I do have a Master's Degree, teaching experience and I have had my business for over 7 years so I do have some experience.

Also the come would retain the copyright when they pay me so I am beign paid for the work and the rights I guess if that makes a difference in price.

Any advice would be appreciated! :confused3

Prices paid for freelance writing vary from dismal to impressive. I would look at this as techical writing, which would bump up the fee some. I'd probably look at least $50 an hour. Don't forget that you will owe self-employment tax and are being paid absolutely no benefits.

I don't know the answer to your question but was wondering if you can PM me if you have a site of your materials?

My husband does freelance content development, marketing communications and technical writing. Depending on the project he charges any where from $35 -- $60 per hour. Straight newsletter work where he is editing content and rewriting goes for $35. Tech writing where he has to do research and develop the content is priced much higher -- $55 -- $60 per hour.

Since you will be researching and developing the content, I would say that your work would be priced on the high side.

Hope this helps!

If you take 35 hours x $60 per hour, that's $2,100.00. Now, you stated that you'd be selling the rights, and would not receive anything else for your work. I think you should be compensated for at least 1-2 years of sales -- as if you were to sell your work yourself. How much would this sell for? How many sales per year could you make? Add that up, and add it to the $2,100.00. I've seen this done many times in freelance jobs when a company wants to also purchase the rights.

Congrats! That sounds like an exciting problem to have, hope it all works out how you want!

Prices paid for freelance writing vary from dismal to impressive. I would look at this as techical writing, which would bump up the fee some. I'd probably look at least $50 an hour. Don't forget that you will owe self-employment tax and are being paid absolutely no benefits.

I already sell teaching units that I have written on Amazon, Ebay, and directly. I also contract with enotes.com and am paid in royalties there. I am well aware of the self employment taxes and lack of benefits! :sad1:

My husband does freelance content development, marketing communications and technical writing. Depending on the project he charges any where from $35 -- $60 per hour. Straight newsletter work where he is editing content and rewriting goes for $35. Tech writing where he has to do research and develop the content is priced much higher -- $55 -- $60 per hour.

Since you will be researching and developing the content, I would say that your work would be priced on the high side.

Hope this helps!

Thank you. There will be lots of research and a lot of creativity needed so I am happy to see these types of rates!

If you take 35 hours x $60 per hour, that's $2,100.00. Now, you stated that you'd be selling the rights, and would not receive anything else for your work. I think you should be compensated for at least 1-2 years of sales -- as if you were to sell your work yourself. How much would this sell for? How many sales per year could you make? Add that up, and add it to the $2,100.00. I've seen this done many times in freelance jobs when a company wants to also purchase the rights.

The company would not be selling the teaching unit. They will be providing it as a free download on their website to accompany the chapter books that they do sell. It will be a selling point to attract teachers and schools. I wondered if I should factor in the giving up the copyright? One consideration is the fact that I will not be able to sell the unit myself. If I wrote the units myself I could sell them at my sites and collect income but by giving them up I am capped at the set price.

Through my research I was leaning towards $60-65 per hour. There is a part of me that feels crazy asking that though. Last time I worked at an hourly rate it was for $5 per hour in college! My dh is a graphic designer and does some freelance. He asks $50-75 and feels no guilt so I guess I need to get over it and see the value in my skills! I did spend a lot of money and time on all my degrees after all!

Congrats! That sounds like an exciting problem to have, hope it all works out how you want!

Thank you it is a nice problem! Of course any proceeds go directly to my vacation savings acct!:banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter