Anybody offsite by choice?

Although we love DXL (POR) and have stayed there 7x's, DH is now an employee of the Radisson Hotel Corp and with his employee discount Disney can't even come close to the rate we get. We'll be staying at the Radisson Lake Buena Vista in October. The Radisson Parkway is beautiful but a bit out of the way without a car.

So what are the "best" offsite resorts? Criteria: large rooms (we're a family of 5); great pool; pretty grounds; at least a micorwave and fridge in room; close to Disney.

I prefer offsite, not because of price but because we go to Orlando for everything - not just Disney. Have checked out the GF but it seemed very crowded and busy. (full of people like me checking it out!)

You could try the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress as mentioned above. Currently #1 Orlando resort on tripadvisor.com based on user reviews.

It has everything you mention above apart from the fridge and micro (which I generally dont think you tend to get in a deluxe hotel property of this type).

I am planning to take a look at the Gaylord Palms and the Ritz-Carlton Grande Lakes when we visit in August.

:cool:

I read an interesting article in Orlando magazine where they listed the top hotels that the "celebrities" stay. Of them only two were onsite Disney, The Grand Floridian and the Boardwalk Villas, one was the Swan (NOT an onsite for the committed Disneyites!) the rest were OFF. The Westin Grand Bohemian, the Grand Cypress Villas, the Portofino Bay and the Hard Rock came in on top for people who don't CARE how much it costs.

I have to agree with C.Ann, the "magic" I don't get. I sat in my onsite hotels just WAITING for the magic to hit me! I guess in my case it was expectation that led to disappointment. Imagine being a moderator on a Disney site and NOT liking staying onsite Disney!! :earseek: The HORRRRRRRRORS!!! That's why I moderate HERE! :teeth:

With everything there is preferance. I wouldn't stay onsite for any price. I like my freedom and I like Orlando. My sister was shocked how I navigate the place, I know it better than my own hometown. I like to try the OTHER places, I like walking up and down Intl Drive, I like visiting the New York Pizza places, I like talking to the locals. Shocking as it seems, I like talking to people OTHER than other tourists!

Good Lord, I think I just agreed with FLeisure.... :p

Originally posted by C.Ann
If Mickey Mouse came and slept in the room WITH me, it STILL wouldn't be enough "magic" to justify the cost!!

Now maybe if it was Esmerelda from Hunchback...LOL.

As for the fridges, you can BUY a cube fridge for under $100, so paying $70 to rent one for a week is ridiculous. Just one more reason to stay offsite where I can get a fridge and microwave, or even a full kitchen, for under $100/nite.

Steve

I've only stayed off-site once, this past April. The end of next week, we'll be going to disney and will be staying both on-site (GF) and off site, MOWC. Its not a matter of being brainwashed to stay on-site, its just what some people prefer. It's really to each his own.

I've never been so take this for what it's worth;) . I am planning our first trip for DD and I in December. When I thought my parents and sister were going, I knew a house would be it. But now they probably won't be able to go so I am looking for a place just for DD and I.

I don't feel the urge to stay at a Disney resort. I am probably going to try PL to see about an inexpensive DTD or somewhere close. If money were no object, I would be staying as close to MK as possible for this trip. DD is going to be focusing on that. since we aren't going anywhere but Disney for this first trip, I don't need access to the world at large. I just cannot justify the expense of a nicer Disney. I can get a great hotel (like the dolphin for about the same as a moderate during my stay in December).

I also stay off site. That's where my memories are. I can drive down 192 and remember each trip I took. Our very first trip, the trips with both my parents, the trips with my father. They're gone now but I can recall each place we stayed. In the early days there were so many things to do off site, we would go to Circus World, Mystery Fun House, Sea World, Busch Gardens, Cypress Gardens and the Magic Kingdom.
I still go about once a year. I could afford to stay onsite but I always stay off site. I like to see the tourist traps, the souvenier shops, the fruit stands (oops, I think most of them are gone). The magic is in my heart and mind not in a hotel room.

Originally posted by BonnieA
The magic is in my heart and mind not in a hotel room.
---------------------------------------

Bingo! We have a winner!!! ;)

I too enjoy exploring Orlando as a whole.. So many interesting things to do and see - interesting people to talk to.. I'm amazed at the number of people who go to Orlando and never have the opportunity to enjoy anything other than Disney because they're trapped on-site.. Sometimes it's a blast just to drive around and look at the houses - certainly nothing like the houses you see up here in the northeast!

I just LOVE staying off-site - in nice big roomy accomodations - and having 14 days to explore every little nook and cranny of the area.. And of course the huge savings allows us to take in US/IOA and Sea World as well - a MUST for every trip!! ;)

I have stayed onsite and offsite and I will stay onsite every time I can swing it. Yes, it's the "Disney Magic" for me. I really like being surrounded by The Mouse 24/7. I remember the first trip that really cemented it for me. I stayed at All Star Sports for 4 days, then we moved to the Hilton for 4 days (on my DH's business) and then back to the All Stars for another 3 days. I was soooo much happier when I returned to the tiny All Stars room. The Hilton was nicer: the hotel had internal hallways, the room was bigger, the hotel restaurant was better, the pool had a great hot tub, I could walk to Downtown Disney, yadda, yadda, yadda. And yet ... I only tolerated the Hilton and I loved the All Stars.

I can understand where some people like to save money. Others like to have "more bang for their buck". Me, I like to be surrounded by The Mouse. I feel a let down when I exit the purple gates into a traffic jam back to my off-site hotel. When I stay onsite I find it an extension of my Park experience and I'm still in that Disney frame of mind relaxing at my hotel or sleeping in my tiny All Stars room.

My reasons are the same as many of you,I can afford to stay onsite but choose to stay offsite.
For many people it seems Orlando is Disney and nothing else.I'm sure many peoole who stay onsite at Disney never even venture out of their parks.

For me Disney is only a small part of my reckoning that Orlando is the place for the perfect, complete and unmatched family holiday!

When we have had a PS in a Disney resort eg Ohanas, that is long enough to know I could NEVER stay in a hotel like that for my holiday.It felt as far from magic to me as anything I could think of,it was hot,very noisy and crowded everwhere I could see.

Originally posted by robinb
I have stayed onsite and offsite and I will stay onsite every time I can swing it. Yes, it's the "Disney Magic" for me. I really like being surrounded by The Mouse 24/7. I remember the first trip that really cemented it for me. I stayed at All Star Sports for 4 days, then we moved to the Hilton for 4 days (on my DH's business) and then back to the All Stars for another 3 days. I was soooo much happier when I returned to the tiny All Stars room. The Hilton was nicer: the hotel had internal hallways, the room was bigger, the hotel restaurant was better, the pool had a great hot tub, I could walk to Downtown Disney, yadda, yadda, yadda. And yet ... I only tolerated the Hilton and I loved the All Stars.

I can understand where some people like to save money. Others like to have "more bang for their buck". Me, I like to be surrounded by The Mouse. I feel a let down when I exit the purple gates into a traffic jam back to my off-site hotel. When I stay onsite I find it an extension of my Park experience and I'm still in that Disney frame of mind relaxing at my hotel or sleeping in my tiny All Stars room.
Oh, so nicely said.... :cool:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter