Anybody do In-Home Medical Transcription?

SuzyQue

Serious Mickey Nut
Trying to make some extra money for my Disney fund. I worked in a general surgeon's office for 13 years before my kids came along (after obtaining an associates degree, medical secretary). Just recently a friend hooked my daughter up with an Occupational Therapist who needs transcription done (10 cents a line) he gets the tapes to her, and she e-mails everything back to him as a Word attachment. When she gets overloaded at school, I do it for her but I'd like to do it all the time. Problem is, all my medical office experience isn't "recent" and I'm having a hard time finding any in-home transcription work. Any suggestions? ~:)~

I do and work for a company out of Boston, though was just laid off for a week or two because of lack of work. I get .04 for editing and .08 for typing and I average $250 a week. With my company there are no tapes I am connected to them via my regular internet service. Do a internet seach in your area of either voice recognition companies, medical transcription, etc and just apply. I've been in the medical field for 18 years but have been gone for two, but once you know the medical terminology it just comes right back. Currently I am doing ER notes and have never worked in the ER field.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the advice! I know what you mean about the medical terminology, it's surprising how much of that sticks with you. How did you get your current transcription job, just applied to the company? Were they looking for help at the time? ~:)~

A friend of a friend, but by the time I handed in my resume it took 9 months for them to call me. My understanding, once people get in, they tend to stay. I have seen adds in the local Sunday paper looking for medical transcriptions. I know sometimes even hospitals, in my area I was told Brigham and Women's will subcontract with people at home.

I have always been curious about how to get into this as well.

I've thought of getting into this myself. I used to do data entry/typing but don't have any medical terminology background. What courses do you have to take to do this? Thanks!

If anyone is interested in medical transcription, check out the website www.mtdesk.com. There is even a discussion board just like here at DIS.

I have being trancribing for over 20 years now. I have been with my present employer for 10 years, working at home.

Feel free to P-mail me with any questions or the name of the company.

Becky

i was curious about this as well. currently i am taking medical transcription at the local vocational college. i hope to be finished by august. :flower:

rebbeca said:
If anyone is interested in medical transcription, check out the website www.mtdesk.com. There is even a discussion board just like here at DIS.

I have being trancribing for over 20 years now. I have been with my present employer for 10 years, working at home.

Feel free to P-mail me with any questions or the name of the company.

Becky
Thanks Becky!! :sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter