Any way to get rust off a bathroom light fixture?

Disneefun

DIS Veteran
I have a bathroom light fixture that is "brush nickel looking." It's got the brushed nickel plating, but I think underneath it's just a basic metal. Anyway, it's starting to rust in places. It's only two years old and I like it, so I really don't want to replace it if I don't have to.

Any ideas on how to remove rush from a bathroom fixture? I'm open to anything from commercial products to homemade solutions.

TIA!:)

I would try Naval Jelly. You might be able to find it a a smaller hardware store, or a boat supply place. I've used it for taking rust off shiny metal, don't know how it would affect the brushed finish though.

I've never used it for rust, but Barkeepers Friend is great for so many things. Just make a paste and leave it on before buffing with a cloth. Supposedly it originated as a cleaner for the brass used on bars, so it's worth a shot. It's usually by the comet or other powder cleaners.

I don't know how handy you are, but you can repaint the fixture with Rustoleum paints. Just remove the fixture, cover the receptacles with painters tape, sand lightly and paint with your favorite color. We were moving and our old fixtures were gold. So I updated them to a more modern color. The paint costs about $6 at Home Depot.

You can coat it with lemon juice and then scrub it with the shiny side of aluminum foil. This works like a dream on chrome. I'm not sure how it would work on your finish, but you could test it out on an unobtrusive area to check the results.

You might try gently scrubbing it with a Mr. Clean Magic eraser. I used it on a toilet paper holder. But I'd try it on a hidden area first ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter