Any vegetarians at 'Ohana lately?

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by cheryterese, Nov 18, 2012.

1. cheryterese

cheryterese DIS Veteran

The kids and I are vegetarian but dh will enjoy the posted menu. Just wondering if we'd eat all but the meat/seafood or if they'd bring us something different in its place? Thanks!

2. Dalamara

Dalamara Mouseketeer

I've heard they will also offer some sort of veggie option as well. I haven't experienced it myself though, so I can't be positive. :)

3. everythingALICE

everythingALICE I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, Sir, because I

I haven't been super recently (will be returning to Ohana in January), but here is what I received the last couple of times I went:

Hummus and baba ganoush with pita chips for an app
    Tofu and vegetable stir-fry with rice and tempura vegetables in sauce

I believe this is what is still being offered to vegetarians - you can probably find pictures on the Vegetarian/Vegan Dining thread. Then the salad, noodles, broccoli, and (obviously) dessert are all vegetarian as well.

You definitely won't leave hungry!

4. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  5. DeborahA

DeborahA DIS Veteran

my MIL is a veggie. She was included in all the parts of the meal except the shrimp and meats. They brought her a bowl of stir-fry with tofu. She loved it.

6. CaliforniaDreaming

CaliforniaDreaming #1 Grand Floridian Fan/Expert

I have a vegetarian that won't eat hummus or tofu, I would imagine they could just leave those out of the vegetarian dishes? Hopefully this won't cause much of a problem, it has been 12 years since I've been to 'Ohana so I'm really looking forward to returning. All I remember from the last time was the fantastic wings and spring rolls (which haven't been offered in many, many years).

7. jgplimdesign

jgplimdesign Tiki Room Traveler

I ate at 'Ohana November 1st!

My entree was a little different than it was last fall. . .

In both instances an appetizer of hummus, red pepper hummus and baba ganoush was served with pita points. The baba ganoush was delicious---though I dipped broccoli or the bread service-----only cause the pita was really, really hard and didn't appeal to me personally.

My entree was stir fried veggies-----lots of red peppers, onions, some broccoli---roasted potato wedges and tofu. As with last year, by the time I've had some bread, the salad, noodles, broccoli/snow peas. . .I'm pretty set. . .sadly, barely made a dent in the entree but did eat all the tofu. . .

Last year the entree was a stir fry of veggies and tofu as well---though it was served over rice instead of being accompanied by potato wedges.

I didn't speak to a chef during either visit. I let the server know I desired a vegetarian entree-----they said, ok. . .and that is where the conversation ended. I was fine with that. I had read in the disboards what people were offered in the past and knew I'd be fine. . .

Word of warning. . .I thought the hummus plate was sort of a SIGN to the servers. . .but I guess not, cause they continually tried to serve me meat?! I just politely declined and figured they'd eventually realize. . .but it took one guy three times before he gave up. I was glad when my entree arrived! ;)

8. cheryterese

cheryterese DIS Veteran

All of those options sound great, thanks! How odd about the servers!

9. BigEeyore

BigEeyore DIS Veteran

I used to love Ohana when chef TJ was there - he would really put something special together for vegetarians. The veggie/tofu stirfry they brought me last time was decent, but I feel like for the price it should be better. Wish they gave vegetarians a discount!

10. meggiebeth

meggiebeth Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow

I disliked the vegetarian meal with tofu, hummous and rice. Just wasn't very nice. But then I hate the texture of tofu- just YUCK!!! :rolleyes:

I don't think 'Ohana is a good choice for vegetarians personally. It seems to be a very meat orientated meal. :3dglasses

11. everythingALICE

everythingALICE I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, Sir, because I

I can't imagine it would be a problem to leave the tofu out of the stir-fry. I would just let your server know as early in the meal as possible.

As far as hummus, it's really just pita chips with hummus and baba ganoush (which is a similar consistency), so the vegetarian in your party may just opt to not get that at all. Personally, I think there is more than enough food between the salad, noodles, broccoli, entree, and dessert.