Any vegetarian cuisine on the cruise?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by zakatak, Feb 5, 2005.

1. zakatak

zakatak <font color=deeppink>Cinderella looked at me like

Hi.

Do you have to request vegetarian before the cruise or can you deal with it once you get on the ship? I don't do meat (except salmon occasionally), milk or cheese.

Is there a usual vegetarian option at dinner?

Thanks,

Karen

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. zeldacruiser

zeldacruiser Mouseketeer

There is always a vegetarian option at dinner. I'm not sure, though, if Disney's idea of vegetarian includes eliminating cheese. Anyone else know?

4. westjones

westjones <font color=blue>Mother of Two <font color=deeppin

There are always two vegetarian options on the menu each night. If you eat dairy and eggs (which I see you don't, but maybe someone else who reads this will be a lacto-ovo vegetarian), they sometimes have other options on the menu that do not include meat, but do have dairy and eggs.

At Plutos there is a veggie burger and you can request one at Cookies BBQ at CC.

We did find that at lunch at Tritons, they don't have veggie options on the menu. We also found (3 years ago) that on the 7 night dinner at Topsiders they didn't have a veggie option (that could have changed, we didn't go to Topsiders on our 7 night cruise this past September, so I can't say if it has changed since then).

DJ

5. BabyBird

BabyBird <font color=deeppink>I just don't want my underpan

Yes! It was all very good. I think Disney does a great job in realizing that not all of us want a steak for dinner. :love2:
    I really enjoyed the vegetable curry - though not spicy it was tasty. Also, the hummus we had a lunch at Tritons one day for lunch was quite good.
    No worries. Just enjoy!

6. DVC Mary

DVC Mary <font color="#FF6666">I must have missed the lobst

Talk to your server right away & ask for their suggestions. They can sometimes special order something for you. For example, a pasta dish w/ meat can often be ordered w/o the meat. Something I liked on an earlier night of the cruise was special ordered for me in advance for a future cruise night too. Remember too that you can order as much as you want. They will bring multiple appetizers for examples, which could be a good option. Get to the seating early too, so they'll have time to make it for you while you munch on salad, soup, etc.

They are extremely accomodating. Happy sails. ::MickeyMo :boat:

7. inkkognito

inkkognito <font color=green>I shall call him Mini-Me<br><fon

Our tablemate on our cruise this weekend was a vegetarian as well as diabetic, and she was very pleased with how accommodating DCL was.
    My husband is a meat and potatoes kind of guy, but he once decided to try all the vegetarian entrees and enjoyed some of them so much that he orders them regularly now. The curry is excellent.
    Barb

8. AKB

AKB Mouseketeer

I read in another thread that you need to ask about the base that soups are made from. A vegi sounding soup may be made with a meat stock. The person who posted this said the servers were very accomadating in letting him know if a soup was truely a vegi dish.
    Kathy

9. Tigger&Belle

Tigger&Belle <font color=blue>I'm the good girl on the DIS<br><

How about the kids vegie meals? We're just starting to research cruises and we area vegie family. Three of my kids are good eaters and will eat a variety of food (or at least be open to trying things). My 11yo, however, is a very fussy, picky eater. Pasta works, as does pizza and PB&J. That pretty much sums it up.

I'm hoping that he will become less picky with age and we're not planning on a cruise for a couple of years. However, if he is still picky, how do the meals work with kids (actually, he would be 13yo by then, so a teen)? Do they order from the adult menu or is there a special menu? Anything else a cruise newbie should be aware of?

Thanks, T&B

10. westjones

One of my DDs is very picky and she LOVES the Mac & Cheese on the cruise, so she ordered it almost every night. They have PB&Js too, but the kids are also allowed to order off the adult menu, so my other DD (same age, twins) who isn't so picky would get one of the adult Veggie dishes.

DJ

11. Tigger&Belle

What are some other kids meals? My son doesn't like mac/cheese (I thought all kids were supposed to like it and that it went witht he job description lol). Is pizza available?

Thanks,

T&B

12. macbasset

macbasset Mouseketeer

There are a couple of sites where you can view all the actual menus such as the castawayclub and dave's tribute page.

13. westjones

Ravioli (cheese with tomato sauce), I believe pizza, and mozzarella sticks and sauce. I'm sure there were more things, but my one DD just order mac and cheese and the other always wanted things off the adult menu.
    DJ

14. Tigger&Belle

From looking at the menu it seems that he would do fine. We had some problems at WDW last month because not every restaurant, esp counter serve, had something that he liked and some didn't even have a vegie option. Combine that with me wanting an adult entree that sounded good to me (I'm not picky, but soy burgers get old) and we had some difficulty finding food at times. Glad that wouldn't be an issue on the cruise. With any luck Zachary will get over some of his pickiness by then, anyway (I'm not holding my breathe...).

zakatak, I like your user name. My son plays baseball and we call him Zach-attack.

T&B

15. DCDevil2007

DCDevil2007 Mouseketeer

Disney likes it if you ask in advance for vegitarian or any special dietary needs, but if you want you could deal with it there =)

only 62 more days till my next cruise!!! :hourglass

16. DVC Mary

DVC Mary <font color="#FF6666">I must have missed the lobst

Cheese pizza is on the kids menu every night. My DS ordered it along w/ things from the adult menu. I think they have mac n' cheese and pasta w/ marinara every night too. Just talk to your server. They aim to please.

Sample kid's menus at the castawayclub .com website. The DIS keeps blocking the actual link for some reason.

Here's a link with tips for Vegetarian Dining at WDW:

http://allearsnet.com/din/veg_strat.htm

17. Tigger&Belle

Strange that the DIS blocks the link to the castaway website when they don't block other links.

Seems like Zachary would have an easy time with the food, even if he hasn't improved his eating habits. Thanks!

T&B

18. zakatak

zakatak <font color=deeppink>Cinderella looked at me like

Thanks, everyone. Sounds like it won't be a big issue!

Tigger&Belle: Zakatak is after my Zachary, too.

19. jollytammy

jollytammy Mouseketeer

I'm vegan (no meat, fish, dairy, eggs) and I didn't tell Disney in advance, most times I could find something. The cruise is ten times better than disney world cause there are lots of choices! The only night I had trouble (we were on the 7 day) was when we missed the regular time to eat and ate at topsiders for dinner, I ended up with a salad, then another salad as my main meal. That was Jan. 2004, they may have changed since then.

But if I asked for something to be changed or added, my servers were wonderful about making the changes.