Any tips Should know for a holiday cruise?

maxmouse

A Disneyland Kid who grew into a Disneyworld fan.
We sail Dec 1st on the Magic and I am wondering if there is any Holiday themed activities that we should know about. We love the Holiday "Christmas" season and want to make sure we don't miss anything.

Our holiday cruise experience was over Christmas of 2009, so some of the things we did were probably specific to a cruise over the actual holiday. Here are some things I *think* were more seasonal:

1. Gingerbread house - the Magic had an awesome gingerbread house in the Promenade Lounge. We go a ton of photos of it and with it.
2. Gingerbread house making - there was a session in Studio Sea - they gave you a kit and step-by-step instructions on how to put it together, plus candy to decorate with. We didn't take it off the ship with us, but it was a nice decoration for the room!
3. Story time with Mrs. Claus - In the atrium one night (I think Christmas Eve)
4. Hot cocoa and cookies - almost every night!
5. Castaway Cay - beautifully decorated for Christmas! (we were there on Christmas day)
6. Characters in their holiday finest all throughout the cruise

I'm sure there was more. There was a gorgeous tree in the atrium and decorations all over the ship. They did have mass every day and services on Christmas Eve and Christmas, along with Santa in the atrium on Christmas morning and face painting - but those were probably specific to the cruise over the holiday itself.

Enjoy the cruise!

Thanks for the info. I will also be on the 12/1 Magic sailing. Interested in any hints about activities not to miss. Are the characters in holiday attire often throughout the cruise?

Thanks for the info, can we take the gingerbread house home?

Thanks for the info, can we take the gingerbread house home?

No, they told us on the ship that this would be a violation of US Customs regulations. I'm not sure why since there is no "unprocessed" plant or animal product in it....but we were told to enjoy it on the ship as we could not take it off.

This is a ticketed activity. Tickets are free from Guest Services, but get them on day 1. And if you opt to not use them, turn them in! At our session, there was a line of people at the door without tickets--they ALL got in. That just reflects how many families got tickets and then didn't use them, which is not fair to anyone. People without tickets were told to show up at the door, and formed a separate line from those with tickets. They were told they'd be allowed in if space was available.

No, they told us on the ship that this would be a violation of US Customs regulations. I'm not sure why since there is no "unprocessed" plant or animal product in it....but we were told to enjoy it on the ship as we could not take it off.

This is a ticketed activity. Tickets are free from Guest Services, but get them on day 1. And if you opt to not use them, turn them in! At our session, there was a line of people at the door without tickets--they ALL got in. That just reflects how many families got tickets and then didn't use them, which is not fair to anyone. People without tickets were told to show up at the door, and formed a separate line from those with tickets. They were told they'd be allowed in if space was available.

My DW was so looking forward to bringing it home.

Thanks for asking this question. We're on the November 30, 2013 Fantasy sailing (so the same time as you, only a year later) and I've been wondering the same thing. I read about making the gingerbread houses before and plan on doing that. It sounds fun!

It doesn't have to do with "unprocessed" it has to do with open food. Generally only pre-packaged (sealed) food items can be taken off ships.

:cutie:

We just transferred ressies to 12/1 on the Magic! (One day longer than our Feb cruise and 600 bucks cheaper.) I am SOOO excited to know that Christmas decor and themed activities will be happening! I am a wee bit over the top when it comes to Christmas... :rotfl2: Even more excited now! Haul out the Holly!!!:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

We sail Dec 1st on the Magic and I am wondering if there is any Holiday themed activities that we should know about. We love the Holiday "Christmas" season and want to make sure we don't miss anything.
\
On the 1 Dec cruise as well and can't wait to see the ship decorated!

For those also on the 1 Dec cruise, if you haven't yet, stop by our cruise meet on here or our Facebook page and say hi!

Thanks for the info. I will also be on the 12/1 Magic sailing. Interested in any hints about activities not to miss. Are the characters in holiday attire often throughout the cruise?

Judging by past Navigators, I think there is only one day that the characters are in Christmas outfits.

The tree lighting is on the first evening of the cruise.

celebrate the magic of the holiday season November 2012 through early January 2013 onboard the Disney Cruise Line® ships and at Disney's Castaway Cay.

The festive events and activities onboard include:
• A tree-lighting ceremony in the atrium lobby, where "snow" magically falls
• Character "meet and greets" in appropriate holiday attire
• International holiday caroling by Crew members from around the world
• Special family time, when families join together to design and decorate their own gingerbread houses.
• Classic holiday story time

The festive events and activities at Disney's Castaway Cay include:
• Castaway Cay transformed into a Magical Wonderland with “snow” flurries, a Christmas Tree, Mr. and Mrs. Snowman (with shell noses and tropical shirts)
• Carolers
• The island's tram decorated to resemble a reindeer, complete with antlers and tail

Thanks everyone on the tips for a holiday cruise. The DW is a little bummed she wouldn't be able to take the ginger bread house with her but very much looking forward to the tree lighting.

Something to think about too!..,If your navigator says "open house" beside the kids/youth areas...you have free reign as "kids that never grow up" to go play!!
My last cruise on Dream about a month ago I went to the "super sloppy science-open house". I made flubber!!! Awesome nasty mess but a blast to play like a kid again!!

Sent from my iPod touch using DISBoards

Hi, when do they do the snow/lighting? each cruise beginning? or just once during the whole holiday season? Thanks!

sandt said:
Hi, when do they do the snow/lighting? each cruise beginning? or just once during the whole holiday season? Thanks!

I'd like to know this too! We're leaving next Saturday, heard we may see them taking down decorations at the end or our cruise (the 5th)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter