Any tips on staying cool? 21 weeks pregnant

Rudybird

Earning My Ears
Hi! Our family will be at WDW next week. I can't believe that our vacation is finally here! :) However, I checked the 10 day forecast and the highs are 95 most of the week! I wasn't expecting such high temperatures in mid-May!

I will be 21 weeks pregnant and we have 2 small kids (4 yrs and almost 2). Any suggestions on how to stay cool in the Florida heat? I don't want everyone to be miserable and crabby! We are definitely going to drink lots of water!

Any other tips? Thanks in advance!

Ugh. I was 20 weeks pregnant at Disney in August. It was miserable. We took it slow and stayed hydrated but literally the only thing that helped was staying indoors during the day.

And, we just got back on Saturday and the weather was gorgeous...I can't imagine it's changing that much in a week?!?!

Drink more water than you think you need. Visit the parks early morning and later at night. Most of the parks have many indoor attractions, so it's really just walking from one indoor attraction to the next.

Air-conditioned attractions! And as PP stated - hit the parks early before the hottest part of the day. Go back to resort to swim/rest, then back to park or to a different park at night. Don't overdo it - rest when you can. And yes, stay hydrated!

You can buy Disney fan/squirt water bottles at the parks. Or, you can go by Target and get a couple to bring along! Wear a hat. Go out right after the afternoon rain showers -it's cooler and the crowds momentarily thin out! Restaurants will give you cups of ice. If you are driving, you can bring lots of bottles of Vitamin Water and/or bottled water. They are expensive in the parks, but I always crave a Vitamin Water!

Oh, and let your "treats" be frozen drinks/desserts at the parks. At MK, we like the Liberty Swirl and the Dole Whips as well as LeFeu's Brew. You probably won't be as hungry as you will be thirsty, so splurge on frosty drinks.

IF you can do any outside rides do them in morning then AC rides in afternoons. Also there a number of baby comfort stations (diaper changes/feedings) I am sure you can duck inside one of these for 15-20 minutes if need be.

Lowes and target both sell "cool towels". Not the official name but I can not thing of it now. They have several different sizes. Throw them in the freezer. They have some sort of gel in them. Anyway take them out and wrap around your neck. They work good

I was pg in 2013 during a April/May WDW trip. It was so hot - we spent a lot of time at The Boneyard at AK. Just make sure to pack extra clothes - my 2yo was soaking wet (but, since it was so hot she didn't mind). Also sitting in the rocking chairs on Tom Sawyer's Island by the water was lovely. Enjoy your trip!

I went to Disney at 22 weeks preganant in August 2012. Shade, water and shop:). We took afternoon breaks, I enjoyed some frozen lemonades and wore a hat when shade was not an option. I also would duck into stores pretty regularly to cool down. I am not a person who likes heat/humidity, but it wasn't as bad as I anticipated. Have fun!!!!

Thanks everyone! Ill have to start looking for the misting fans and a cooling towel! :) Definitely going to find a hat too!

Lowes and target both sell "cool towels". Not the official name but I can not thing of it now. They have several different sizes. Throw them in the freezer. They have some sort of gel in them. Anyway take them out and wrap around your neck. They work good

Frogg Toggs! They are awesome! Bed, Bath and Beyond sells them too...

Get a mister fan! We were there two weeks ago and I wished I had bought one! It was the in 90s the entire week! It sounds funny, but take your time in the bathrooms because they have air conditioning! Ice cream really seemed to help, too!

#1 - It starts with a good pair of shoes.
My first trip to Disney as an adult was at 33 weeks pg...in AUGUST. Not sure what we were thinking, but it worked out and we couldn't wait to go back! Before we left I bought a good, supportive pair of walking shoes. We spent a lot of the time at the parks looking for our "next A/C" and we planned our days with a long TS lunch around 1-2:00 so we could have a long time to cool off. I rode everything our 17m DS could ride and we had a blast...despite the heat/pg. We took it really slow, too. On a 4-day trip we just did 2 days at the parks and spent other time exploring activities at the resort (AKL) and at the pool. You can still have fun and ride a lot of "easy" attractions; stay hydrated and find good places to camp out in the A/C. This might mean seeing shows/attractions that you might not normally sit through if it weren't for the heat. ;) Keep in mind that in many cases you will find the best A/C in the nearest restroom. There are also good places to camp out, specifically in Epcot. Your family can ride Mission Space or Test Track and you can hang out in the A/C at the end of the ride where there are shops/experiences. Innoventions and The Land are also areas where you can spend large chunks of time indoors.

Just got back last night and I am 28 weeks :)

Drinking plenty of water, wearing comfortable shoes, bringing a sun hat or umbrella for shade, and going early in the morning and leaving around the hottest part of the day (then returning in the evening) worked great for me. I did also bring a Frog Toggs towel, but used that more for my 2.5 year old daughter and her 3 year old cousin! We also bought them stroller fans on Amazon, and they were worth their weight in gold!!

I also sought out shaded or air conditioned places to rest when I needed it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter