Any suggestions for a lightweight backpack for travel and at the park?

cbellasmomma

Mouseketeer
I am flying solo with DD. I have two pieces of carry on size luggage and one HUGE bag that I bought before airlines started charging by weight. I was thinking I would use the two carry on size pieces to check in and split the snacks we are bringing between the two to hopefully come out under 50 lbs each. They are decent sized carry-on pieces.

My dd has her school backpack that I was going to use for her carry on piece and I was thinking of buying a backpack for my carry on that would double as a backpack for the park. I didn't plan to bring a backpack because I feel like it would just be too hot but it wouldn't hurt.

Any suggestions? I leave in two weeks so it would need to be lightweight and breathable.

My go-to is a New Outlander backpack. It's available on Amazon for $20 or less, and comes in lots of styles and colors. I have the "packable" version and it's a little smaller than the average bookbag-style backpack but that's alright because I don't carry a lot into the parks.

It's very lightweight and has 3 separate compartments, plus mesh pockets on each side. It's very lightweight material that weighs almost nothing on its own, and it dries very quickly. I've machine washed it tons of times and it still looks brand new.

It's smallish size might be less than what you need as an air carryon, depending what you plan on bringing on the plane, but I normally take the backpack and another small tote when I fly (backpack is personal item and tote counts as carry on) and both fit under the seat in front of me.

Good luck! :)

I just bought this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OISJYD4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

I used it once for a day at the zoo and it is great. The only problem I had was keeping 23oz water bottles in the side pockets. If you don't push the bottle all the way into the pocket, it will fall out. Otherwise, I really like it. Plus, it's gender-neutral, so I can pass it off to my hubby.
We got the same bag just a different color (wanted it to stand out a bit so we got the greenish one). We loved it! It is waterproof (yes, we tested it unfortunately) it fit everything we needed, had the side pockets for drinks and the little zip pockets to secure things like the car key. I put Dunkin Donut coozies (medium sized) in each bottle pocket which secured the drinks while also keeping them cooler and absorbing condensation. We have used it twice at home already too. I think it is going to be well used!

Hmmm just noticed this link says not waterproof. The one I got said it was, I would not have ordered it if it didn't and I know it was because I stupidly put it down in a puddle at AK one morning when getting my children their money! I was not happy with myself but quite happy when it proved it was waterproof. This looks like the same thing but says waterproof and is a little cheaper (mine was actually $13.99) http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P8UB2H2?psc=1

We were there the week of July 4, it was super hot and sticky. We saw people with backpack sweat marks on their shirts, poor things, but we were just fine!

Last edited:

Hmmm just noticed this link says not waterproof. The one I got said it was, I would not have ordered it if it didn't and I know it was because I stupidly put it down in a puddle at AK one morning when getting my children their money! I was not happy with myself but quite happy when it proved it was waterproof. This looks like the same thing but says waterproof and is a little cheaper (mine was actually $13.99) http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P8UB2H2?psc=1

We were there the week of July 4, it was super hot and sticky. We saw people with backpack sweat marks on their shirts, poor things, but we were just fine!
Do you think it's suitable for packing a couple of days of clothes in it? I would want it to double as a carry on. Thanks!

I don't think it is big enough for that. Maybe one set of summer clothes, but that's it. Its only 20L. they have larger versions of that bag I posted.
Maybe this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Outlander-Pac...sim_468_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1HNDRS75DZJW3AF2ABRG

The bag I bought is definitely not waterproof. I took it kayaking and kept it on the bottom of the boat between my legs. It was thoroughly soaked after the trip and stuff inside did get wet (but nothing was ruined- it was just water bottles and bug spray).

Do you think it's suitable for packing a couple of days of clothes in it? I would want it to double as a carry on. Thanks!
It would probably be tight. I have never jam packed the bag, there is always some room but not sure it would be enough for a couple of days. If you were packing really thin/small clothing (think athletic shorts as opposed to jeans) you might be able to roll them in a ziploc and get them in but again it would be tight. I actually put this bag (partially packed for the park) in my carry on so I would have it in case our luggage was lost.

I have been using a Vera Bradley backpack that has lots of pockets...but I think I'm going to have to check out some of the backpacks listed above, they look very comfortable & lightweight!

http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/R...owProducts=111&previousPage=type&pSrch=Rippac

Someone on here suggested these. I just got mine in the mail and it looks perfect. Very light weight and I think it will hold everything I'll need.

I love my Eddie Bauer backpack! It is very similar to this one! I carry it almost exclusively now. Holds a lot of stuff and is so light weight and very easy on the shoulders with the padding! My friend brought one when she came with us and I liked it so much I had to buy one too! luckily mine was on sale for around $10.00 at the store!

Last year I used a simple nylon drawstring backpack and it was perfect. It was small and light weight and I only carried a couple things. It was easy to tuck away when we were on rides and because it was thin. Enjoy your trip!

I bought this one time it was on sale and got me to free shipping http://www.amazon.com/Gonex-Lightwe...sim_468_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1ZBWEK3T8ST0A5HN1S3J and now I really love it. It's a bit smaller than a standard-sized backpack, super lightweight, and folds into itself if you want to shove it into your checked luggage or something (so you can carry a full-sized backpack/bag through the airport but have this smaller, lighter bag for the park without losing any valuable packing space). I can't speak to just how waterproof it is, but I do know that we used it as a beach bag this last vacation and didn't have any problems. It's definitely more water-resistant than our other nylon-type bags. Unlike the one someone linked to above, I didn't have a problem carrying 20 ounce drink bottles in the side pockets, though they might be a bit small for the resort mugs if that's something you want to carry (of course they would fit inside the bag without a problem). The other thing I like about it is that the pocket into which the backpack folds also serves as a secret/hidden pocket on the inside of the backpack.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter