Any rumors or speculations as to 2016 DW runs?

I would like to see other full marathon distances added apart from January because marathon training over the holidays and cold winter months can be a drag. A full marathon in October-November would be cool! Even if it was a night race. Make that the new Tower of Terror theme?!

i agree with this, but there are a lot of naysayers who start up about it being too hot/humid in florida, even during those months, for a marathon (especially taking into account training is all during the summer). i don't see an issue as long as runners understand their hydration needs.

i hope they add something else to the fall by 2017, or add TOT back in. i feel like 2016 will be a bust however you slice it, because of paris, WDW construction, etc.

Let me first stress that this is complete speculation with no rumors from anyone or other supposed inside information...

With the continued construction and new nighttime entertainment at Animal Kingdom and the anticipated construction at Hollywood Studios, it's possible that Wine & Dine 2016 could have a modified course or be at risk for the same suspension as we're seeing with TOT this year.

Not looking to freak anyone out who enjoys the race or is planning to run in 2016, but in thinking about the loss of TOT and plans for the parks (known and rumored), it seemed like a possibility. And with how blindsided some runDisney enthusiasts were by the omission of TOT -- nothing has been said officially still -- runDisney wouldn't seem likely (if able) to announce anything much in advance here either.

Last edited:
Let me first stress that this is complete speculation with no rumors from anyone or other supposed inside information...

With the continued construction and new nighttime entertainment at Animal Kingdom and the anticipated construction at Hollywood Studios, it's possible that Wine & Dine 2016 could have a modified course or be at risk for the same suspension as we're seeing with TOT this year.

Not looking to freak anyone out who enjoys the race or is planning to run in 2016, but in thinking about the loss of TOT and plans for the parks (known and rumored), it seemed like a possibility. And with how blindsided some runDisney enthusiasts were by the omission of TOT -- nothing has been said officially still -- runDisney wouldn't seem likely (if able) to announce anything much in advance here either.
I can totally see where you're coming from on this. It could be the reason runDisney began Avengers and Star Wars so close together, both in Disneyland. Although I would hope that they would try to modify the course before suspending. As long as it still ends at Epcot, there's no reason why that's not possible. Tower of Terror, on the other hand, wouldn't make much sense if they moved it away from DHS.

I would think rD would simply use the WDW marathon weekend and PHW course for W&D instead of canceling the whole weekend. It would still end at EPCOT.

I would think rD would simply use the WDW marathon weekend and PHW course for W&D instead of canceling the whole weekend. It would still end at EPCOT.
In the past the Magic Kingdom has been open until 11 or 12 during the weekend. I don't imagine Parks would give preference to a race over regular guests and operating hours in the Magic Kingdom to make those routes possible. Likewise, the new nighttime schedule at Animal Kingdom and associated traffic after close on Osceola could impact the regular W&D route.

It's an interesting idea, but it probably wouldn't get them any additional registrations and just add to the cost for Dopey runners (one more shirt, one more medal). I would like to see other full marathon distances added apart from January because marathon training over the holidays and cold winter months can be a drag. A full marathon in October-November would be cool! Even if it was a night race. Make that the new Tower of Terror theme?!

Maybe in November but you can't hold a full marathon during early October when ToT was held.The biggest problem isn't even the temperatures which can still reach the upper 80's or 90's during the day,I think the bigger issue is the humidity during this time of year which is still horrible.People were freaking out over the 84 degrees during the 2013 full marathon which was hot for a marathon but even so the humidity was nothing compared to what you get in early October humidity.I would sign up for a marathon in Oct/Nov for it but I live in South Florida so I'm more used to the heat and humidity,but even then I remember finishing the ToT 10 miler drenched in sweat,I don't remember ever sweating that much even during the full.

Maybe in November but you can't hold a full marathon during early October when ToT was held.The biggest problem isn't even the temperatures which can still reach the upper 80's or 90's during the day,I think the bigger issue is the humidity during this time of year which is still horrible.People were freaking out over the 84 degrees during the 2013 full marathon which was hot for a marathon but even so the humidity was nothing compared to what you get in early October humidity.I would sign up for a marathon in Oct/Nov for it but I live in South Florida so I'm more used to the heat and humidity,but even then I remember finishing the ToT 10 miler drenched in sweat,I don't remember ever sweating that much even during the full.

This is a great point. I live in Michigan and running in the cold doesn't bother me at all, but the heat and humidity together always beat me up. But I would still love to see a second marathon that is not so close to the current marthon weekend.

Aside from the heat/humidity wouldn't a concern for June-October races be hurricanes? They pose a potential cancellation of races. It's not as if they schedule their "visitation" years in advance. Instead we can only predict when they are likely to occur.

Please don't say that about W&D. My wife and I were so ready to run it this year and decided to wait until next year and couple it with Disneyland half to get our Coast to Coast. Man, I hope this doesn't happen!!!

Also, someone was saying they did one of the challenge cruises recently and the Run Disney speakers that were there said that ToT was done. I can't believe that. Or maybe just done as a 10 miler and it will come back as a half. But it's hugely popular, a night race and great after party. I just can't see them doing away with it!

How bout rumors of Dopey not lasting much longer? I hope this is nonsense too. I want to go back in 2018 and hit if for the 5th anniversary and Mickey's 25th!

Keeping fingers crossed.

Also, someone was saying they did one of the challenge cruises recently and the Run Disney speakers that were there said that ToT was done. I can't believe that. Or maybe just done as a 10 miler and it will come back as a half.
There's still a lot of speculation about the changes that will be happening in Hollywood Studios (including the name!), so it's possible that could influence any future runs centered around the park. If rumors of an expanded Star Wars presence were to be true, for example, it's possible they could look at a much rumored East Coast Star Wars race there. No idea, but a possibility assuming that enhanced attractions and nighttime activity wouldn't then conflict with Parks Division being willing to accomodate a runDisney return.

If in fact tower of terror doesn't come back in its current form I cant see RunDisney not doing ANYTHING to fill the gap, it may come back as a half or they may do something totally different, perhaps the much hoped for east coast Star Wars race or something none of us have even thought of but I cant imagine with all the demand for these races that RD and WDW couldn't agree on something

OK so when we heard TOT wouldn't be held in 2015 most of us figured DHS would be in heavy construction somewhere by the backlot tour area,the lake in front of the Indy show or the general back area of the park by Lights Motors Action.We knew Star Wars,Cars Land or something Pixar would be coming to these areas but time keeps passing and you don't hear anything on that construction so you start wondering what good reason they had to cancel TOT if there appears to be nothing happening.Finally I just heard Disney filed an application to build a new theater building in the backstage area between RnRc and TOT,basically the TOT finish line.The cancelling of TOT makes a little more sense now,my question is if they're just filing this application now when is construction going to begin,Disney is not fast when it comes to building new attractions,I have a feeling when October comes there won't be any new construction that would have prevented them from holding TOT,but at least I understand it better now.On the bright side,I never liked the TOT finish line,the spectators couldn't see the actual runners finishing and that long walk to the front of the park was annoying.I still hope TOT comes back in some form,10 miler or half,Run Disney needs to get creative in designing a new course and finish,I just know they need another race in that time of the year to draw some of the Wine and Dine runners away,registering for that race has become a mission.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter