Any Prep for Food Allergies

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by Mickey3Boys, Feb 18, 2013.

1. disneydork3

disneydork3 Obsessed with Disney

We are sailing on the MAGIC over Thanksgiving. If I go to Lumiere's on embankment day and give them a list of the foods I like from the menu, they might be able to modify them to be gluten free? I'll just type something up for them along with likes such as mickey waffles, cookies, pizza and such. We like to have a sit down breakfast and lunch along with MDR dinner so I'd rather be as prepared for them so their work will be minimal. I will tell my travel agent to note my reservation so they can get the food on the ship before hand.

I really appreciate everyone's input. I've only been gluten free for about a month and have been only eating at home. I've had a second doc confirm my fibromyalgia diagnosis and agree that I need to stay away from gluten because it has eliminated my symptoms. Thankful for Disney!!!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. julesthecircusfreak

julesthecircusfreak Earning My Ears

My daughter is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and sesame. On the Baltic cruise we took in 2010, we informed our waiter of this issue, and from the first night on, he gave us the next day's menu to preview, so if we needed anything substituted they would be sure to take care of it. Hope I helped!

4. Mickey3Boys

Mickey3Boys Aarrgg mi mousies!!!

Just got off ship and Disney did very well on the food allergies! No itching, hives or breathing problems for the 3 of us with food allergies. I would like to recommend that if you are a 1 for an allergy and don't always avoid it, to NOT write it when you send it in! They mean serious business when it comes to food allergies and even if you have it at home, they won't give it to you.

5. Mickey3Boys

Mickey3Boys Aarrgg mi mousies!!!

Also, the gluten-free choc chip muffins are amazing!!! The special allergy-free cake is not! Speak up early and they'll bring you great desserts like Creme Broulee or flan!

6. Candy Apple

Candy Apple DIS Veteran

The only place they won't give it to you is the MDR's. If you need a special diet, such as gluten-free items, please note it on your reservation ahead of time so that they can have enough of the items on board for those guests who must have them. Please see the following thread:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3086346

7. Allanaw

Allanaw Earning My Ears

I have a daughter that has a genetic disease so she can't tolerate fructose (including sugar, sucrose, and any fruit and about 75% of veggies). We actually had some issues with them dealing with this. One night they brought her a special cupcake but had it stuck to the plate with raspberry sauce and we noticed half way thru digestion. So they can be great with it but I'd still be making sure 100% of the time that things are allergy free.

8. jaybo22

jaybo22 Earning My Ears

Here's my experience from our Fantasy cruise this month. Our son has serious allergies to tree nuts and shell fish. We carry an epipen at all times just in case. He also has a mild dairy allergy that will give him digestive problems, but will not cause shock. We handle it well by checking ingredients and avoiding risky foods. Thankfully, we haven’t had issue with “trace amounts” or “processed in a facility that processes...”. After reading about other people’s stories on the boards, I knew to tell DCL about his allergy in advance. We had a great experience and allergies did not hamper our experience at all.
    In the main dining room, our wait staff was aware and worked with us. We usually got dairy free rolls (nice crusty roll) on the table each night and a dish of rice-milk ice cream for dessert each night. We took a look at the next-night’s menu each night and picked something that would work well for our son. Turf, no surf. Pasta, no sauce. Etc. In the buffets, we just picked safe foods and didn’t involve talking to the chefs. In Cabanas, they had a pint of Rice Dream in the ice cream counter and a pint of sorbet so they could serve that up if you ask for it.
    In the kids club, they will feed the kids if they are in there at lunch or dinner time. They called us on our Wave Phones to discuss what he could eat. Most of the time, we asked them not to feed him and we just picked him up for our meals. When we had Remy reservations, our Main Dining servers told us that we could ask the Kids Club to get his pre-ordered meal from the dining room.

9. lisettemac

lisettemac Earning My Ears

Can someone tell me the proper way to notify Disney in advance about food allergies? I went to the special services form and it doesn't have a place anywhere to note food allergies - it focuses on oxygen, accessibility issues, etc.

Also, are the CM's in the kids' club trained to use the Epi-Pen? And will they allow my daughter to use her Albuterol inhaler as needed?

Thanks.

10. Dug720

Dug720 SQUIRREL!!

What kind of nuts? And which bread is it?

I have a mild peanut allergy, but it can be handled with Benadryl, so I'm not mentioning it to DCL because I don't want my family to suffer because of me when it's not life-threatening and I can avoid it by simply not eating peanuts. It's not so severe that something sitting in the same case as something with nuts bothers me just to clarify.

11. DisneyMom14

DisneyMom14 DIS Veteran

12. tech9798

tech9798 Earning My Ears

If I note that one son has egg/peanut allergy, will that prevent them from bringing chocolate chips cookies to the room via room service? Another son is dreaming of warm cookies...