Any one ever use a POD for moving?

rvchat

DIS Veteran
wondering the costs. their site is down for quotes.

Also, how was their service? thanks
:woohoo:

We are interested in this as well, for a long distance move. Look forward to the responses and further information.:thumbsup2

Hi there! We actually got a quote and it was just about $10,000! It was ridiculous! We then found a moving company who was willing to come to our house, pack everything professionally, move it and unpack it upon arrival for $3,800. Sorry if this isnt what you hoped to hear, believe me it wasnt what we wanted either :rotfl: Good luck!!

LOL Thanks Tink.

I did hear they wer enot CHEAP. I had no idea it was that bad! HA.
:laughing:

When we moved we used PODS and it was MUCH, MUCH cheaper than a mover. It cost us around $5800 for 3 PODS, moved 4 states over about a 14 hour drive. We had 3 moving company quotes (come in, pack, move our stuff) and the lowest was just about $15,000 so PODS was an easy choice. Plus the moving companies give an 'estimate' and you don't actually know the amount until they deliver it. I have two close family friends whose actually cost was well higher than their quotes, and they had to pay it or they wouldn't get their stuff!! We're moving again in May and are going to use a UPACK truck instead of PODS this time around.

Are you talking a local move or a long distance one? That matters A LOT.

We did a local move. Used one POD (well, actually, we used Pack Rat but same thing) to pack extra furniture and remove about half the contents of our house to stage it. Then they took it to their storage place about 10 miles away. That was about $200 per month.

We had a 2nd delivered 2 weeks before our closing date. The day we closed on our old house it was moved to in front of the new house (with the seller's permission). Then it was ready and waiting for us when the new home closing was done the next day. We had that one for us to two more weeks to unpack.

When it was empty we had them take that one away and bring the other one back from storage. And we had that for about two weeks until that month was up and then they came to take that one.

I think all total was about $600 for the storage one for 3 months and another $200 or so for the other one.

But we only moved about 1/4 mi away.

we used PODS for our last long distance move in 2006. They were MUCH cheaper then U-Haul or Ryder. My only complaint was they were supposed to put the POD in the side yard, then said they couldn't get it off the truck in that area. They ended up putting it in the driveway instead. Not really their fault, but I had a very small driveway, on a busy road, and had to try and squeeze in 2 cars next to it for a month. Wouldn't have been an issue if I had more room to park.

we used them in '06 for a long distance move. We started with 1 POD but ended up filling 2. No issues with delivery or pickup, on either end of the trip. Nothing broke in transit either.

We didn't even pay $1k for them both and we had the PODs in total, including transit and storage time, for 2months. $10K is crazy!

I want to say we paid around $6-700 for them.

We used the ABF U Pack renting part of a trailer for the first move, the next we used their version of PODS. The pod version was MUCH easier to pack tightly, delivery and pick ups went without a hitch. Our combo lock did get smashed on one pod, making it inoperable. The delivery driver wrenched it open with a crow bar for us.

There was a slight cost difference between the two versions, worth the extra cost! If we had to do another out of state move, I would use them again.

Sometimes they have coupon codes so do some searching. Pick up/drop offs mid week are significantly cheaper than weekends. Plan ahead a few months, the price goes up if you wait too long to reserve.
We covered the interior with cheap drop cloths, bottom and one over the top, just in case there were any leaks. We are a family of 4, 2 bedroom apt.. we used two pods and could have squeezed in a bit more stuff if needed.

We used a Pod for a local move (about 35 miles). It was GREAT! So cheap and easy - I want to say around $300.

I'd definitely get a quote for what your own plans are!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter