Any more info on Disney's plan for "cheaper off-peak tickets"?

hodad

DIS Veteran
I just saw this WSJ article and thought, "hmm, what would disboards thing?" Sorry if this was covered in another thread.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/disney-looks-at-cheaper-off-peak-tickets-for-theme-parks-2015-10-05

Nikole Zivalich uses her annual pass to go to Disneyland more than 15 times a year, but has long stayed away on Saturdays, which are almost always jam-packed with visitors.

Now, however, she also doesn’t go within a week of any major holiday and is wary of Sundays, Fridays and Mondays. On one recent visit Main Street was so clogged that she was funneled by security behind the scenes, where she walked by dumpsters and the plywood backs of facades.

“I remember being bummed I had to see a nonmagical part of Disneyland,” said the 28-year-old television producer.

Maintaining the magic at its theme parks is becoming increasingly challenging for Walt Disney Co. DIS, +0.87% amid crowds drawn by new attractions, an improving economy and the popularity of franchises like “Frozen” and “Star Wars.” Both Walt Disney World in Orlando, Fla., and Disneyland in Anaheim, Calif., have posted record attendance for each of the past three fiscal years, as well as for the spring quarter that ended in June.

As a result, for the first time in the 60 years since Disneyland opened, Disney is considering switching to demand-based pricing at its domestic parks, where tickets would cost less or provide added benefits on slower days, and cost extra or come with more restrictions on dates when there tend to be too many people.

“We have to look at ways to spread out our attendance throughout the year so we can accommodate demand and avoid bursting at the seams,” said Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Chairman Bob Chapek.​

Considering there really is no "slow" season any more, and they are packed all the time, I think this is a bad idea...pretty soon the "slow" times (which, again, are not really slow anymore) will hit capacity more than the busy times!

The thing I would wonder is if the cheaper tickets would be cheaper than the current day price. Mid-week days could easily become "cheaper" by just increasing the price of the weekends.

The thing I would wonder is if the cheaper tickets would be cheaper than the current day price. Mid-week days could easily become "cheaper" by just increasing the price of the weekends.

Yep. "Cheaper" could easily mean cheaper than peak days as opposed to cheaper than now.

Yep. "Cheaper" could easily mean cheaper than peak days as opposed to cheaper than now.

This is exactly what I think their thought-process is, if they do decide to do it. Again, making every day jam-packed. I still think it's a terrible idea.

I really doubt they will ever allow a price reduction, just "not as increased" as peak times.

This tiered pricing thing sounds like a ticket nightmare to me! They would have to have all kinds of different ticket options! What if you are going for 5 day, 3 are weekdays and 2 are weekend days? Or 5 days, 4 weekdays, 1 weekend day? There would have to be different options for that right? Same with if you are going on a holiday, plus weekdays, plus weekend days! And then if they do have this, once you buy your ticket you can't change your mind about which days you want to go. Just seems like a PITA to me!!

I don't know if they plan on making it as complicated as it COULD be, as tlovesdis suggests. I think they would be leaning toward a similar pricing structure as Disneyland Paris or even DVC, with peak, non-peak and shoulder seasons. The hotels already work on demand pricing, so it doesn't seem to be impossible to implement, just more hassle for the average consumer.

I guess I was looking at it differently, but what you said makes much more sense Avery's mom! Like a holiday AND the surrounding days would be more than just a regular week in say September or something like that!!

Why make the tickets cheaper to boost slower times. If you want people to come Jan, Feb, and Sept, or Tuesday-Thursday, then offer the same things during those times as the others. If there were fireworks or F! every night, don't you think people would be more apt to come during the week rather than on the weekends? What if the same hours existed M-Th as does on Friday? Just a thought.

Actually, my guess is that if this goes through, what they will do is make the off peak the same as present prices and add a premium for busy seasons.

Increased hours in off season would be great, I think that would help spread out crowds as well. I'm OK with no shows mid-week if the pay off was increased hours.

10 hour park days and 16 hour park days for the same price as always been odd to me.

This tiered pricing thing sounds like a ticket nightmare to me! They would have to have all kinds of different ticket options! What if you are going for 5 day, 3 are weekdays and 2 are weekend days? Or 5 days, 4 weekdays, 1 weekend day? There would have to be different options for that right? Same with if you are going on a holiday, plus weekdays, plus weekend days! And then if they do have this, once you buy your ticket you can't change your mind about which days you want to go. Just seems like a PITA to me!!
I thought so too at first but apparently they have this ticketing procedure in place already in DL Paris. And the public will adjust IMHO, although there would undoubtedly be the "but I didn't know" people buying the cheapest tickets forced to upgrade their tickets at the ticket booths after complaining bitterly to the CMs who wouldn't let them in the parks because the ticket they bought isn't valid for that day. From what I briefly looked at online if they run it the same way as Paris it will add another step to buying tickets, checking the validity dates for that specific type of ticket, akin to AP block-out calendars. A tiered day ticket system.

Personally I'm not opposed. We plan our trips in advance and have to get hotels so we know what days we're going to be in the parks already. I don't feel like too many people are buying normal DL tickets without knowing the dates they are going- unless they are trying to buy for a special reason like "I know we're doing 3 days sometime this year and I'll just buy now in case prices go up" they're out of luck.

Increased hours in off season would be great, I think that would help spread out crowds as well. I'm OK with no shows mid-week if the pay off was increased hours.

10 hour park days and 16 hour park days for the same price as always been odd to me.
YES. THIS is the reason we find ourselves going at busier times even when we could go at quieter times. We love extra early and extra late in the parks but can only get that during busy times!

Why make the tickets cheaper to boost slower times. If you want people to come Jan, Feb, and Sept, or Tuesday-Thursday, then offer the same things during those times as the others. If there were fireworks or F! every night, don't you think people would be more apt to come during the week rather than on the weekends? What if the same hours existed M-Th as does on Friday? Just a thought.
Yep! If DL already has the people in the parks they ought to run the entertainment. Fireworks I think they have to negotiate with city over but a more extensive offering of entertainment would help spread out local crowds at least! I can't imagine F! EVER playing to an empty house any day of the year LOL!

Actually, my guess is that if this goes through, what they will do is make the off peak the same as present prices and add a premium for busy seasons.

A while back when Disney sent out surveys, the graphics accompanying them confirmed this line of thinking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter