Any money saving tips for D.C.?

mylilnikita

DIS Veteran
Hi
DD7 and myself are heading up to D.C. via Amtrak on thursday. I have only been there during one day trips, this is a first stay staying there for a few days. The hotel has a free breakfast except on weekends, but I will be taking some cereal for the weekend. Any tips for lunch? I was thinking of making sandwiches and having a picnic lunch at the zoo and on the mall. Any advice is appreciated.

:confused3 where are you staying? we live in the midwest and this will be our next trip.......just wondered where you were staying as we'll be taking Amtrak to Union Station when we come in.....have fun!

I don't have any tips for lunches, but I went one day early for a conference and I went all over the place. I walked everywhere and it was fine. It was a LONG day walking everywhere, but if you spread it out it is doable. I just made a plan that included the shortest route to everything.

I do not know if you have a hotel already, but you can get a decent hotel via priceline or hotwire. Check out biddingfortravel.com.

Others who are more expert might be able to help more, but I just wanted to tell you what I did.

Maggie

Don't know about inexpensive lunch, but if you are going to use the Metro, consider purchasing the one day pass (I think it is either $6 or $8) rather than buying those individual tickets that you put money on. This would be more cost effective only if you will be traveling by Metro several times in one day. We recently visited D.C. and were in and out of the city several times from our hotel and it saved us quite a bit. Depending on where your hotel is and where you plan to go, you might find it that way too. Walking is great, but if you want to see as much as you can, in as little time as possible, the Metro is great. Another tip: if you want to go into the Washington Monument you must have a ticket (it is free of course). Many people line up early in the AM to get one, but you can get your "reserved" time online. I'm new here, so I can't post links, but it is worth checking out. Have a great trip. I love D.C. and I love the disboards!

For lunch you might want to try the Food Court at Union Station - big variety and prices aren't bad

We did D.C & Baltimore last year for our vacation, it was great. It is alot of walking. We stayed in Baltimore and took the trains daily. But our best money spent was the trolley tours at Union Station, it seems a little pricey but is definetly worth the money when your kids get tired. You can get on and off as you want at all of the monuments, our daughter fell asleep before we could get back to union station. The zoo is wonderful but the food is a little expensive so I would definetly pack a lunch if you could. Enjoy your trip!!!

The great thing about the National Zoo is it's free to get in, so are all of the Smithsonian museums. You do have to pay to get into a few other musuems. The Holocaust Museum, for one, is well worth the money.

If you or anyone else has a zoo membership in your town, check to see if they reciprocate. The Zoo's website lists all the states with participating zoos & gives an idea of the discounts. When we had our zoo membership, it helped us w/admission fees to other zoos when we traveled. At the DC zoo, you get a bag of free popcorn for each kid which they loved.

swilphil said:
The great thing about the National Zoo is it's free to get in, so are all of the Smithsonian museums. You do have to pay to get into a few other musuems. The Holocaust Museum, for one, is well worth the money.

I think the Holocaust Museum is free too. You just need a "ticket" which you dont have to pay for. At least that's how it was a few weeks ago when I was there.

We stay at Holiday Inns. The kids eat for free. We would eat breakfast and dinner in the hotel and eat lunch out. Sometimes at street carts you can get food at a good price. Also, most of the museums are free. They have web sites so you can check. The only museum we paid to get into was the Spy Museum. I wouldn't pay to go back. Most of the tours are free unless you book them in advance. The printing and engraving tour has timed tickets, but they are free, first come first served. Check out google for websites for most DC monuments and museums.

Hope it helps!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter