Any Introverts going to WDW solo?

Alfredo68

I love Disney. My partner doesn't.
Last week I booked a trip to WDW solo! This was not an easy task for a massive introvert like me. My partner went with me to the MK and EPCOT, back in 2011 for my birthday, and then the year after that I had to be in Los Angeles for work and since he manages my career, he went with me. To my surprise, he included a one day trip to Disneyland while there! But, that was IT for him and the Disney parks. So, after moving to Atlanta in 2013 and being at spitting distance from Disney once again (I used to live in Tampa then moved to Vermont), I started getting the itch to go back to Disney, a place I have loved since first being there when I was 12, in 1980. Now I can just drive there. But there was NO way of getting him to budge. In fact, I think he'd rather have a limb amputated than go back to DW. I decided life is too short to let years go by with no Disney World, so I decided to go alone. Needless to say, when I posted on my FB page I was going solo, friends and family came out of the woodwork to join me. But by then I realized I was now really into going alone and told everyone no. I have been to the parks over 20 times since I was 12, but never alone.

Once I made this decision to go alone, I began to discover a lot about myself...thanks to Disney. I wonder how many introverts are out there who dread going to DW alone, but really want to go. For that reason, and to encourage introverts of all kinds to take the plunge, I started a blog devoted to a solo Disney trip, documenting my daily adventures from making the decision to booking to traveling and to doing this alone. If you are an introvert who is considering gong solo but are afraid to, check my blog out. I hope it can help you make the jump and go. There are many ways us introverts can handle a solo trip to Disney World in the most fantastic way that only another introvert can understand!

Introverted Disney Nerd here too. I actually find it easier & more comfortable traveling solo as an introvert to Disney. I don't have to be 'on' the whole time since I only need worry about myself...which makes the whole experience less draining. If I want to engage w/ other people, I can; if I prefer to stay in my own little bubble, I can do that too...all while having an awesome time. Good for you taking the plunge...I know you won't regret it. pixiedust:

Introverted Disney Nerd here too. I actually find it easier & more comfortable traveling solo as an introvert to Disney. I don't have to be 'on' the whole time since I only need worry about myself...which makes the whole experience less draining. If I want to engage w/ other people, I can; if I prefer to stay in my own little bubble, I can do that too...all while having an awesome time. Good for you taking the plunge...I know you won't regret it. pixiedust:

Thanks! I went through a lot of feelings until I decided to take the plunge, and more after, which is why I started the blog. I figured if I was on the fence, how many actually won't take the chance. I think it will be quite an experience and I can't wait to go through it. I am definitely learning a lot from this already. I am maneuvering through many introvert roadblocks like dining alone, and even pin trading!

:earboy2:

Congrats for your first solo Disney trip! I'm an introvert and shy person too, making my first visit to WDW this November (and first visit to USA too :))
I've looked at your blog, I think it's nicely written.
I had a very rough time last year so I decided to do something nice for myself this year which is a trip to WDW. I was inspired to do it by a blog by someone who loves Disney a lot. Originally she planned to go by herself though in the end she went with her BFF. She also lives in Asia and needs visa to go to US, so her blog really helps me in my preparation.
And I like reading about people's experience going solo here on DIS.
I hope your blog will help others too :)

Last April I decided to go to HKDL by myself just to test the water. Admittedly, WDW is much bigger, busier and more complex than HKDL, but I thought it can help me to find out whether I can handle Disney alone. I'm glad I went because I really had fun there.

I don't like dining out alone but oddly I don't mind to do that when I travel. Maybe because I just enjoy the new sights and sounds. Having smartphone with Internet connection helps too :p
I made ADR for Biergarten. I don't know how it's going to be but it's for my second Epcot day so I have extra time after I get there to decide whether to keep it or cancel.

Disney is my happy place. Even just planning for my trip makes me happy.
I hope you'll have a great time there :goodvibes

So wonderful that you'll be visiting WDW, and also that you're doing something really nice for yourself! You will enjoy both WDW and EPCOT. The parks are different, but each wonderful in their own way. The EPCOT World Showcase in particular is wonderful to see, and the dining there is great. I made ADR at Tokyo Dining, because I ate there before and loved it. I also made ADR in Marrakesh for lunch. And I went out of my comfort zone and booked one dinner at Cinderella's Royal Table on evening. Disney is definitely my happy place, too and has been since I was 12. I completely understand what you mean by being happy planning the trip. I am going in October and am very excited, so the next few months will be happy ones.
:goofy:

I'm not shy, but I am quite an introvert. I don't necessarily feel awkward or uncomfortable around other people, but after awhile they just exhaust me. Went on a solo trip to WDW back in February, and it was honestly one of the best vacations of my life! Thoroughly enjoyed riding rides and meeting characters on my own. It was so nice to do what I wanted when I wanted for a change. It was also nice to sit down and have a quiet meal to recharge after a long day in the park. You will have an awesome time! I enjoyed using my solo meal times to reflect on things that I've enjoyed about my trip and also to daydream about next time!

I'm not shy, but I am quite an introvert. I don't necessarily feel awkward or uncomfortable around other people, but after awhile they just exhaust me. Went on a solo trip to WDW back in February, and it was honestly one of the best vacations of my life! Thoroughly enjoyed riding rides and meeting characters on my own. It was so nice to do what I wanted when I wanted for a change. It was also nice to sit down and have a quiet meal to recharge after a long day in the park. You will have an awesome time! I enjoyed using my solo meal times to reflect on things that I've enjoyed about my trip and also to daydream about next time!

Sounds like your solo trip was wonderful! I actually wrote about this in my blog, that introverts are not shy like people think, we just get burnt out being around too many people for too long. We tend to do well one-on-one, especially with like minded people, but in crowds we get exhausted. The thing about Disney is that one can be alone in a crowd, because we do not have to be 'on' unless we want to. And at the end of the day, you check into your room alone and don't have to interact until the next day. These are many of the things that encouraged me that it would be OK to to go alone.
pooh:

introverts are not shy like people think, we just get burnt out being around too many people for too long. We tend to do well one-on-one, especially with like minded people, but in crowds we get exhausted

Wow, I really like the way you phrase this. As someone who is introverted who is married to an extreme extrovert this really hits the nail on the head for me. I am going to use this way of explaining it the next time the wife and I have a disagreement over how I dont spend enough time socializing. :thumbsup2

Wow, I really like the way you phrase this. As someone who is introverted who is married to an extreme extrovert this really hits the nail on the head for me. I am going to use this way of explaining it the next time the wife and I have a disagreement over how I dont spend enough time socializing. :thumbsup2
Thank you! Luckily, my partner is semi-extrovert so he gets my introversion (he is also a corporate coach, trained Myers-Briggs and HBDI, which helps tremendously in his understanding of where I come from). But I often hear extroverts speak of introverts in less than glamorous terms. So, I started a blog about being an introvert who is going to Disney World alone, where I directly speak to fellow introverts and I spend time explaining how we function, especially facing a solo adventure at WDW. You can check it out if you like.
pluto:

I often hear extroverts speak of introverts in less than glamorous terms

Yep, I agree there. My wife cant understand it at all and I have heard about this non understanding in many varied ways, lol.

I started a blog about being an introvert who is going to Disney World alone, where I directly speak to fellow introverts and I spend time explaining how we function, especially facing a solo adventure at WDW. You can check it out if you like.

I think i will check that out, thanks.

Yep, I agree there. My wife cant understand it at all and I have heard about this non understanding in many varied ways, lol.

I hear you! I experienced a lot of this growing up. I still hear my grandmother after me with "You need to be more sociable!" Not to mention I spent part of my childhood seeing one therapist after another, because my parents didn't know what to do with me and neither did most of my teachers. Today, my parents regret not having been able to understand my introversion, but then in the 70's, who did? Still today, however, extroverts have a hard time understanding that we love spending time alone and we are NOT lonely. I recently went to a dinner with some of my partner's colleagues. The wife of one of his colleagues is also an introvert, so my partner and her husband trade stories about us! LOL. When I met her and saw her in the context of the dinner, I could relate to how she handled herself and how she cocooned herself in her husband a bit like I did with my partner. We let our extrovert partners do the dirty work and we just listen, every so often interjecting. The funny thing is that we can 'act' extroverted and then people say, "You're not an introvert at all!" But they are not there the day after, when we're wiped out from the previous evening....
:eeyore:

extroverts have a hard time understanding that we love spending time alone and we are NOT lonely.

Yep, so true

I think the other thing they really don't understand is that someone can be in a group and not be interjecting or in constant conversation and it is not a negative thing. It used to drive me nuts when I was younger and would go out with a friend or 2 and be having a perfectly good time just relaxing, maybe having a drink or what not and then it would start. They would just feel the need to start the constant questioning, "whats wrong?", "aren't you having a good time?". Same with the wife she just doesn't understand that I can have a good time without constant interaction in a social setting.

Yep, so true

I think the other thing they really don't understand is that someone can be in a group and not be interjecting or in constant conversation and it is not a negative thing. It used to drive me nuts when I was younger and would go out with a friend or 2 and be having a perfectly good time just relaxing, maybe having a drink or what not and then it would start. They would just feel the need to start the constant questioning, "whats wrong?", "aren't you having a good time?". Same with the wife she just doesn't understand that I can have a good time without constant interaction in a social setting.

Wow! I am not sure I could be with someone who does not get my introversion. It would put a lot of pressure on me. Having a partner who understands means I can be myself when we go out. People already know I am an introvert and since most of them are extroverts, they lose themselves in loud conversation while I just listen. Also, since I work in the music industry and my peers and friends are mostly elsewhere, I am surrounded here by non-industry people and this gives me an out because, while some aspects of my work might seem glamorous, people are really not interested or don't relate and it makes it easy for me not to have to talk about myself or my work. Also, I can get away with the 'temperamental artist' bit which people seem to get way more than introversion!
:smickey:

We have our disputes about it at times but usually we can work around it.

Also, I can get away with the 'temperamental artist' bit which people seem to get way more than introversion!

I too use something similar in that I am work in the science field so I use that to my advantage at times lol.

My partner is a Disney fan and goes with me but I tend to have more energy and stay in the parks longer and enjoy the time I have alone in the parks. He also doesn't like some of the thrill rides so i am used to riding those solo. I am considering some solo trips to maybe do some of the 5K races.

My partner is a Disney fan and goes with me but I tend to have more energy and stay in the parks longer and enjoy the time I have alone in the parks. He also doesn't like some of the thrill rides so i am used to riding those solo. I am considering some solo trips to maybe do some of the 5K races.
Similar with my partner, he doesn't like many of the rides and feels like he weighs me down so he doesn't want to go.

I hear you! I experienced a lot of this growing up. I still hear my grandmother after me with "You need to be more sociable!" Not to mention I spent part of my childhood seeing one therapist after another, because my parents didn't know what to do with me and neither did most of my teachers. Today, my parents regret not having been able to understand my introversion, but then in the 70's, who did?

OMG, this is me too! Mom had me in group therapy (with kids with more serious problems!) in jr high because she didn't think I had enough friends! I now have a very introverted DS and find myself explaining him to other people who ask me about his life.

I have done Disney World solo twice and plan to again in the fall. I feel very safe there and enjoy doing exactly what I want.

OMG, this is me too! Mom had me in group therapy (with kids with more serious problems!) in jr high because she didn't think I had enough friends! I now have a very introverted DS and find myself explaining him to other people who ask me about his life.

I have done Disney World solo twice and plan to again in the fall. I feel very safe there and enjoy doing exactly what I want.

When one is an introvert, it is so hard to explain it to someone who is not. And if we don't know better, we begin to feel there is something wrong with us. This is one reason why I started the blog about going to WDW alone as an introvert, because when I decided I was going by myself, I found some posts scattered here or there, but no blog that tackled this in depth. So, my bog is entirely for introverts and going to WDW alone as one.

Similar with my partner, he doesn't like many of the rides and feels like he weighs me down so he doesn't want to go.
It's hard because then you think they are not having a good time so it makes having a good time harder. When we went in December it was harder because we were just in an auto accident before so he had a scooter and it was a little rough for him to get around. One night when he was staying in I took it and rode around the Magic Kingdom in it. My avatar is actually a picture of me that night. I spent a lot of that time in the parks alone that trip.

I will say just this year I have been to Disney from Philadelphia twice. Heading back solo next week. In April I had a group of us go for my birthday and last month I went with a good friend from high school. Nothing beats my solo trip last year. I guess it's just my personality of always wanting to do things at my own pace but a solo Disney trip is amazing. I've done Disney 34 times so far and when I went solo I was never happier. People didn't get it. But I did and that's what mattered. Sitting at Jellyrolls for hours wasting $20 after $20 requesting my favorite songs and being *****ed at to go back to room for bed etc. (by the way a $20 guarantees your songs next and you always get a smart remark from the pianists) all in all just a way better experience. Can't wait to do it again next week!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter