Any idea how to get cash upgrade on a room at Disneyland Hotel booked on DVC points?

mico0025

Earning My Ears
I hope someone out there can help. I recently booked a room at the Disneyland Hotel using my DVC points. We invited my parents along and my father is insisting on upgrading us to a 2 BD suite (lucky us!) and paying the difference out of pocket. I sent an email request to MS asking for guidance and was told that DVC doesn't handle cash transactions and that I would have to wait until check-in and ask for an upgrade there. Obviously that is too risky. When I contacted the hotel directly, they said it would be possible but that they usually can't change DVC reservations. Only DVC can. I'm hoping someone out there can lend some advice as to my next move.

It is true that DVC doesn't handle cash reservations or transactions. They have no mechanism for doing so. For DVC resorts, it's definitely not even possible to pay for part of a night's cost with cash and part with points, I don't know if the same rule applies to non-DVC resorts.

What's generally recommended in these cases is that you change your reservation. If you can't pay for the entire (upgraded) stay with points, then cover as many nights as you can with points, and then make a cash reservation for the remaining nights.

It is true that DVC doesn't handle cash reservations or transactions. They have no mechanism for doing so. For DVC resorts, it's definitely not even possible to pay for part of a night's cost with cash and part with points, I don't know if the same rule applies to non-DVC resorts.

What's generally recommended in these cases is that you change your reservation. If you can't pay for the entire (upgraded) stay with points, then cover as many nights as you can with points, and then make a cash reservation for the remaining nights.

The idea of paying for what I can with points and making a second reservation with cash makes alot of sense except that as far as I can tell, I can't reserve a suite using DVC points. According to the points chart for Disneyland, a standard concierge room is the best I can do. It's just hard for me to believe that the hotel would be willing to pass up on the money for the upgrade.

The idea of paying for what I can with points and making a second reservation with cash makes alot of sense except that as far as I can tell, I can't reserve a suite using DVC points. According to the points chart for Disneyland, a standard concierge room is the best I can do. It's just hard for me to believe that the hotel would be willing to pass up on the money for the upgrade.

Call MS and ask about the suite. You may be surprised.

You can get a suite on points they just aren't listed on the point charts you have to call MS and ask, or at least you could a few months ago.

Thanks so much to everyone who responded here. I was able to use my points for 3 nights and got a cash reservation for the other 2. I don't think I ever would have figured that out on my own. That was quite an adventure! I guess I still have alot to learn.

Just curious, what your dates are and how many points per night for the 2 bedroom suite.

Thanks

We're staying for 5 nights mid-March (no weekend nights) at 66 points per night for a 2 BD suite (it's 55 a night for a 1 BD).

Having read this thread I was able to secure a 1 bedroom suite. Does anyone know what the one bedroom suite has eg. Refrigerator??? etc. I am soooo excited. Thanks for your help.

Having read this thread I was able to secure a 1 bedroom suite. Does anyone know what the one bedroom suite has eg. Refrigerator??? etc. I am soooo excited. Thanks for your help.

I think all the rooms at DLH have a fridge, including the suites. The fridge was in the bedroom, but there was a coffee pot on the wet bar in the living room. We actually went downstairs to the take out coffee bar (where they accidentally charge me more than $1 million for 4 lattes!). There was also a powder room off the living room. The bedroom was a pretty standard hotel room with 2 queen beds and a bath. The living room had a fold out couch. -- Suzanne

Was the 1BR (or 2BR) suite at Disneyland hotel worth the cost? I'm trying to book a trip to DL and only 2 of my 6 days are available without a waitlist in a 1BR at the Grand Californian Villas. I was told that a 1BR suite is available for points at both Disneyland Hotel and Paradise Pier Hotel for my entire 6 days and I'm wondering if I should just go for it or waitlist for the Grand Californian. I could live without the full kitchen, though having that is a great feature of having a DVC suite.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter