Any HAM operators?

Hi all , Just wanted to introduce myself. Name here is AL and the call is ka3fad. Been a ham for 30 years , pretty much all bands all the time including the Satellites.
My family and I are Disney vets but just joined the vacation club recently !
exciting stuff to say the least. Our home will be kidani Village opening in may of 09. We will be staying at wilderness lodge january 4 thru the 12 ( 09 ) and then in the tree houses ( we hope ) in october 09.
My question is; will any hams out there be also be visiting in jan.4 to the 12 th. maybe we could make a sced. on 52 simplex or local repeater ? Our son is a cast member at Epcot . hope to see you all soon . Good luck and God bless
73 de ka3fad

10-4 backdoor ! Wait,,thats a CB I think,,shows how much I know bout this stuff.
Anywho,,I know its a bit late,,but WELCOME ! WELCOME to the boards!

10-4 backdoor ! Wait,,thats a CB I think,,shows how much I know bout this stuff.
Thanks for the welcome Frank . Yes there are more than one citizen band radio in my shack . Got into cb in 1965 and have had a cb here since . They are the best thing to have when traveling mobile for sure . The truckers for the most part are all helpfull. Two (2) meters doesn't really help in the mobile if you need directions. Of course we now have GPS for that but When traveling I think a cb works fine.I used to run HF in the mobile also but havent done that in quite some time.
P.S. my favorite cb was the Tram Titan II
Best 73
AL

I am studying for my Technician Class license, and I was wondering if anybody on the board has an amateur radio license?

Not a ham operator, but I am studying for my canadian bacon certificate. :rotfl2:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

But seriously, good luck with your studying!

I found this thread by searching just to see if anyone else had already started this topic here. I am thinking of going into HAM radio because I am a member of the Neighborhood Emergency Response Team the fire department started after one of our larger earthquakes here in 1989. They want HAM radio operators for citywide emergencies. I am sure that it is a positive that Morse Code is no longer required because a call for help just gets more attention when we hear a human voice.

That doesn't mean that Morse Code cannot be helpful in an emergency. I met a woman who was taken and forced to drive against her will. The man behind her was getting annoyed that she kept hitting the brakes until he noticed the pattern in her lights. He was retired Navy and recognized from his training decades earlier that she was tapping S.O.S., and she believes that may be why she survived.

While homeschooling we studied Morse Code a couple of years ago. The kids learned their name and my Dad set up his examining stuff so they could hear real Morse Code.

DSCN0039.jpg

DSCN0037.jpg

Sorry pics are so big. I am not sure how to make them smaller.

Shelley

That's neat. I don't have children, but I am a believer in homeschooling. Things like taking attendance, making sure the children's desks are all lined up in straight rows, and whatnot that have nothing to do with academics take up too much class time.

I am amazed at how much home-schooled children know. While the students studying languages in school spend their time conjugating verbs and then are unable to even order a meal after graduation in the language they studied in high school, home-schooled children are fluent in elementary school. Those I have met are remarkably independent and articulate and so precocious that I sometimes forget that I am talking to a child.

I believe that it was right here on Disboards that I learned about some homeschooling parents in southern California who made Disneyland part of the "school." That may sound irresponsible to the school board, but I bet that those children who have been studying theme park rides know more about physics than students far beyond their grade level.

Good job The5Scoops!

Yep! That's "CB speak", Frank.

I think you want "C-Q, C-Q. C-Q D-X!" That was "Ham-Speak" when we had a ham radio.

And Al (NTSammy5-my brother Al, not hamoperator Al)....if they required knowledge of morse code for the test, do you think I would have gotten a license? Think about it!

The only ham-speak I know is "spiral sliced, glazed, cured and country".

Love me some smoked piggy!

Sorry, on with the thread. And actually, I have also always found ham radios interesting. I had a shortwave radio as a kid and had a blast staying up late pulling in broadcasts from around the country/world. I hope we never "need" ham radio on a national scale to communicate during an enormous emergency, but it's good to know there are qualified people still training in it.

DH, Rick, has been a HAM for more years than I've known him and that's been since the mid 80s. He is not active lately, but his call sign is WA4VAR. He gets on every once in a while and has taken SKY Warn Training. I don't know much about it, but he has some equipment in the computer room that gets used some times. I think he has a Tech license.

I'm N0YSN and have my general and working toward my extra. My wife is currently studying for her Tech and our son who's 9 is wanting to get his as well.

One of the selling points I used was that they were better then FRS radios for WDW trips and camping.

Of course the fact that I bribed the wife with Disney Pins when she passes probably didn't hurt.

That's awesome that you have your wife studying for her tech :-) My DD 7 (almost 8) wants my old call sign (Im a DISnut hence K1WDW) so I told her she has two years to study up. She is in second grade this year. I don't think her reading is quite there.

Hmmmm bribery,,,pins :rotfl2:

k1WDW

That's awesome that you have your wife studying for her tech :-) My DD 7 (almost 8) wants my old call sign (Im a DISnut hence K1WDW) so I told her she has two years to study up. She is in second grade this year. I don't think her reading is quite there.

Hmmmm bribery,,,pins :rotfl2:

k1WDW

Yeah it's going to cost me a bunch of Disney Pins from ebay probably but she has started the class at hamclass.com and is working her way through it. I'm proud of how much she has worked on it so far.

I can't believe I'm the one who started this thread 2 years ago (almost to the day) and I still haven't gotten my license yet! pdmedic - is that hamclass.net? I was just on that site and it looks like this is the most viable way for me to get my license, since I find it hard to just open the book and study on my own.

It's hamclass.com they have on-line classes from tech to extra the tech is $20.00 and has a money back guarantee if you don't pass the test. According to their literature it should take the normal person about 10 hours to get to where they can pass the test.

Just looked hamclass.com is a redirect to http://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/index.html so you could just go there.

Good luck with it.

Well just upgraded to Extra class last night I finally passed the test 3rd time was the charm. :cool1:

Congrats PDMEDIC. Bet that feels good. I really have to start working with DD on her Tech and maybe I will work on upgrading.

Im just looking forward to getting my new plates. Will officially retire KC7NKP.

K1WDW

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter