any flower deals?

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by muffyn, Oct 7, 2012.

1. muffyn

muffyn "hmmm*

any online flower deals?
    or is it just as good calling your local florist to send out of state?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. hops&dreams

hops&dreams DIS Veteran

My neighbor owns a florist shop and she said that sending through FTD and stuff is a rip-off. She said if you know where you're going to send them, go online and find a florist local to that area. She said you'll get a much bigger arrangement that way. She said for example, if you want to spend $50 on an arrangement from out of town at her shop - if done through FTD, only about $30-$35 of that would go to the actual flowers. The rest goes toward fees and such for FTD. If you googled and found her, then all $50 of that would go to the flowers, hence a much larger arrangement than the $35 one through FTD.

Does that make sense? She said she really appreciates it when people call from out of town to place orders with her directly rather than going through FTD. Since she told me about it, I never order through FTD, but call local shops. I also like that I'm spending my money with a local small business owner over a huge corporation. But that's just me.

*FTD is just an example. Point is, if you use a service like that, they will take their fees out.

4. Tinker Pam

Tinker Pam Stalker of the Whisperer

That was going to be my suggestion as well. We had to send flowers out of state for a funeral and I found by the time all of the on-line places added in all their hidden fees I would be out an arm and a leg or left sending a teeny-tiny arrangement so I contacted a local florist directly and got much more for my money.

5. Swimalie

Swimalie DIS Veteran

If you are a member of USAA, you can order for about 25% off through their site.

6. sissy_ib

sissy_ib DIS Veteran

7. horseshowmom

horseshowmom DIS Veteran

That's what I always do too. So far, it's worked out very well.