Antics of the Orange Banded Monkeys: Heartbreaking News June 2017

Captain’s Grille

Hanging helpful and amusing posters around the resort really works up an appetite.

We had dinner plans with 3 others (SueM from the FAQ thread, her daughter and her friend) at the Captain’s Grille at the Yacht Club.

Sadly, there were two people missing from our meal, but not from our thoughts. Teena had planned to join us after her scheduled shift that day along with our friend Lauren. We are grateful that Lauren was with Teena most of that day at the hospital and at home while they waited for Jeanne to arrive from Las Vegas.

:grouphug:

This was the first time I had met Sue in person. She has been a kind, compassionate friend to me and to many other friends who have come together through the Beach & Yacht Club FAQ board.

She came bearing gifts from her homeland.

DSCF9395.jpg

I just happened to have 3 stuffed monkeys left, so the ladies picked out the colors they wanted and became official members of our mischievous band.

WP_20150831_052.jpg

WP_20150831_054.jpg

As you can see in the picture, a few of us were enjoying the official beverage of our people: The Sunken Treasure

DSCF9397.jpg

Contents: Malibu Rum, Midori, orange juice, pineapple juice and Sprite with a splash of BOLS Blue Curacao.

Although the food was secondary to the bonding with friends, here is what we got, to the best of my ability to figure it out. The problem with trying to write about a trip that happened more than 6 months ago is not only the fuzzy memory of the author, but also the seasonal change in menu at restaurants.

I was still fairly full from my late lunch at Tangierine Café, so instead of an entrée, I ordered two lighter appetizers:

DSCF9402.jpg

Farmers' Market Salad - Walnut Granola, Granny Smith Apples, Dried Cranberries, Marscarpone-Blue Cheese Cream, and Champagne Vinaigrette - $7.49

Although I am still sad about the loss of the Roasted Beet and Goat Cheese salad at Sunshine Seasons, I was encouraged to find many yummy substitutes at other restaurants.

DSCF9401.jpg

Seared Scallops - with cauliflower puree, golden raisins, and tree nut vinaigrette $12.99

Both of my orders were delicious, but I was also eyeing this dish ordered by Sue’s daughter:

DSCF9398.jpg

Cabernet-braised Short Rib with Tagliatelle and Arugula - ~$26.00

When my family dined at Captain’s Grille during our 2013 trip this was the pasta special that night. Both my husband and I ordered it, which is unusual because we usually strategize and order different entrees to share. Although it was one of my favorite meals at Disney, it was too heavy and hearty for me to order at this meal.

The other meals at the table:

DSCF9396.jpg

Wedged Romaine Salad - garlic-peppercorn cream, bacon lardons, confit tomatoes, blue cheese $8.99

DSCF9399.jpg

Pan-seared Chicken - $21.99

DSCF9400.jpg

Rosemary-brined Pork Tenderloin - $23.99

Once again, it was wonderful to share a meal with friends, getting to know each other better.

Our time together was over too soon, and we were literally stuffed monkey, but there were still some sparks left in our day.

Next Up: Finding a Hidden Object in Morocco

Last edited:
Your dinner at Captain's Grille looks good. We ate dinner there in October with our daughter and two grandchildren. We were headed to the Halloween party and our waitress was wonderful about getting us fed and out the door as soon as possible. And the food was good, too, although I don't remember what we ate.

Looks like a good dinner at Captains Grille. I have never been there. Bonding with friends is always a fun time.

OOOOOOOO everything looks so yummy, and I HAVE to get a Sunken Treasure :)

Those meals look delicious.
I'm glad you got to spend some time bonding with great friends in what was an unexpectedly sad occasion. All of us were thinking of Teena and Jeanne but I was also glad you guys were there for some much needed support for them :)

Captain's Grille is definitely a hidden gem. I have had breakfast, lunch and several dinners there. It is my family's traditional arrival night dinner- it is convenient when we are staying at the Beach Club, and very casual, so it is good when we are tired from a long travel day. The theming is very subtle (or perhaps missing), but the food has always been great.

:thumbsup2

Your dinner at Captain's Grille looks good. We ate dinner there in October with our daughter and two grandchildren. We were headed to the Halloween party and our waitress was wonderful about getting us fed and out the door as soon as possible. And the food was good, too, although I don't remember what we ate.

I think we have always had great service there.

::yes::

Looks like a good dinner at Captains Grille. I have never been there. Bonding with friends is always a fun time.

The food was great, but the highlight was meeting Sue and company, and being with friends.

:goodvibes

OOOOOOOO everything looks so yummy, and I HAVE to get a Sunken Treasure :)

Yes. Yes you do!

:drinking1

Those meals look delicious.
I'm glad you got to spend some time bonding with great friends in what was an unexpectedly sad occasion. All of us were thinking of Teena and Jeanne but I was also glad you guys were there for some much needed support for them :)

Have you eaten there?

Food was yummy.

I fell behind on this TR and just saw the latest posting now.

Note to self... don't read Dee's TR before supper. Our meal doesn't stand a chance of being anywhere near as good as those pictures look.

I fell behind on this TR and just saw the latest posting now.

Note to self... don't read Dee's TR before supper. Our meal doesn't stand a chance of being anywhere near as good as those pictures look.

I don't recommend reading after you eat either, you could lose your dinner! ;)

I really enjoyed the company and the meal!

How did I not know about this TR before today???? I just rifled through all of it this morning and it's phenomenal!! I'm just jealous I wasn't there!!!! Great job by all and I can't wait to read along with the rest of the trip!!

Jay

I've eaten many a breakfast at Captains grille both a la carte and the buffet. Always delicious though I was sad to see the moving pictures were no longer moving on our last trip :(
Food and service always great though :)

Last edited:
How did I not know about this TR before today???? I just rifled through all of it this morning and it's phenomenal!! I'm just jealous I wasn't there!!!! Great job by all and I can't wait to read along with the rest of the trip!!

Jay

:welcome: Jay!!!

Better late than never.

In your defense, I started it around the same time the kiddos were going back to school. Plus the main concern at that time was with Teena and I didn't do too much promotion of this report on the FAQ pages. And we have both been preoccupied with our sons' college searches. *sniff*

Thanks for reading and catching up.

:thumbsup2

I've eaten many a breakfast at Captains grille both a la cattle and the buffet. Always delicious though I was sad to see the moving pictures were no longer moving on our last trip :(
Food and service always great though :)

I remember you telling me that the pictures were no longer moving. I can't remember if I had a chance to see if they were still still or if they fixed them. We were pretty distracted that evening.

:sad1:

Hidden Treasure

I think it was sometime around 8 when we were finished with dinner. I was headed to EPCOT to stroll for a bit. Ninja and Rebecca went back to the room, but Rebecca was going to meet up with me for Illuminations. Nannette stayed behind at the Captain’s Grill to spend some more time with Sue. She said she may see us in EPCOT later.

Here were some of the sights along the way.

An empty Stormalong Bay:

DSCF9403.jpg

WP_20150831_056.jpg

Hey! What’s going on behind those rocks???

WP_20150831_057.jpg

It was sprinkling out, but still beautiful:

DSCF9415.jpg

DSCF9404.jpg

DSCF9406.jpg

While walking by France, there was a photopass photographer by the fountain so I asked if he would take my picture.

DSCF9411_1.jpg

Fail!

Then I was headed here, to try to find something I had read about in others’ trip reports, but had never seen myself, even though I had looked on a couple of previous trips.

DSCF9405.jpg

DSCF9416.jpg

This is where I stood, with my back against the wall near the Moroccan restaurant, looking back out towards EPCOT.

WP_20150831_061.jpg

Finally, I found it.

The hidden d#&kie.

If you don't know what I am talking about AND you are not easily offended, I'll send the picture to you by PM.

:blush:

DSCF9413.jpg

DSCF9414.jpg

Mission accomplished, it was time to get in touch with Rebecca to see where to meet. It also started raining. Rebecca let me know that she had found some seats near the Rose & Crown in the UK. We had really nice, but wet, seats for the show:

WP_20150831_062.jpg

During the show, we heard from Nannette who was trying to find us, and we were all able to watch together.

WP_20150831_063.jpg

WP_20150831_069.jpg

WP_20150831_074.jpg

WP_20150831_076.jpg

WP_20150831_077.jpg

WP_20150831_078.jpg

WP_20150831_079.jpg

WP_20150831_083.jpg

WP_20150831_085.jpg

This picture is out of order because I was taking some pictures with my phone, some with my camera and some video.

DSCF9426.jpg

When the show was over, we made our way back to the Beach Club, but the return to our room was not without incident(s).

Continued in Next Post

Last edited:
Continued from Previous Post

Remember those flyers we had put up before dinner? As we went through the secret entrance, we found that others had discovered this one.

DSCF9428.jpg

We were walking behind a young girl and a woman and we heard the girl ask her grandmother. “I can keep a secret. Does that make me an honest person?” We smiled, realizing our sign had produced a moral discussion.

On our way to the Marketplace, we also encountered an older woman who seemed confused. We saw her walking down the hall and a few minutes later, coming full circle in the same place. I asked her if I could help. She said she was looking for the elevator and we were able to lead her in the right direction. The Orange Banded Monkeys to the rescue, helping a lost soul.

When we arrived at the Marketplace, we were rewarded for our good deeds. Rebecca found something she had been looking for the whole trip. It was an item she considered purchasing on her last trip, but didn’t and she hadn’t seen it at any of the gift shops since.

DSCF9430.jpg

DSCF9432.jpg

I got reports and photographic evidence later in the week, after I arrived back home, that the purchase was indeed being put to good use:

Minnie%20Toy%203.jpg

Minnie%20Toy%202_1.jpg

While we were away at dinner that evening, a special delivery arrived in our room:

WP_20150831_095.jpg

Cake%20Pop%20Gift_1.jpg

WP_20150831_096.jpg

DSCF9434.jpg

This was a sweet and thoughtful gift, a comforting way to end a day which had started with such heartbreaking sorrow.

Next Up: A Final Morning Stroll

Last edited:
::MinnieMo What an evening! First I am so glad your search was successful for that hidden monument! Wow, your Illuminations pictures are way better than mine from that evening. Must be that fancy camera phone of yours! Rain and all it was an excellent viewing spot.

Lastly, everybody should have a dress up Minnie. She has made me smile countless times! Currently she is dressed as classic Minnie.

Rebecca was kind to us and she let us play with her Minnie play set. This was especially appreciated because our dress up Dee doll was proving difficult to catch as she made her rounds around the world.

I am a little sad to say that dress up Minnie had a bit of a drinking problem on our trip and she may have gotten into the liquor stash. There are also unconfirmed reports that dress up Minnie was nekked and mooning passers by from the balcony of of Polynesian resort accommodations. Minne is really sweet until she gets a couple of shots under her belt. Then the gloves come off and we have to listen to her whine about Cinderella and Aurora. Whatever you do do NOT let her get started on Anna and Elsa. She seems to think that they have a thing for Mickey and one or the other is trying to steal him away. It got so bad that we had to call Miss Piggy and have her do an intervention over the phone. :sad2:

~NM

I remember you telling me that the pictures were no longer moving. I can't remember if I had a chance to see if they were still still or if they fixed them. We were pretty distracted that evening.
We ate at Captain's Grille in February and the boats had stopped moving completely. There were some broken boats when we ate there in January and I guess they decided to turn them off.

This is where I stood, with my back against the wall near the Moroccan restaurant, looking back out towards EPCOT.
.....Finally, I found it.
It took us a coupled trips worth of searching to find the interesting architectural feature. I guess you have to see it in the right light to have it look interesting. ;)

We had really nice, but wet, seats for the show:
Your pictures are really good. I can't remember Illuminations looking so colorful.

This was a sweet and thoughtful gift, a comforting way to end a day which had started with such heartbreaking sorrow.
That was a really nice gift. :)

Lastly, everybody should have a dress up Minnie. She has made me smile countless times! Currently she is dressed as classic Minnie.
That is a cute toy. Maybe I'll have to get one for my granddaughter so that I can play, too. ;)

It got so bad that we had to call Miss Piggy and have her do an intervention over the phone. :sad2:
:rotfl2: :)

I love all the parks at night, but EPCOT is my favorite. Especially World Showcase.

I'm not sure what you are speaking of and I'm not easily offended. I work with high school aged kids, so I've pretty much seen and heard it all.

One thing I do know is that the Tower of Terror blends into the Moroccan skyline. You can see it best from the steps of the Mexican pavilion.

I agree with Rebecca. Everyone needs a dress up Minnie!

:rotfl2:I know what you're talking about but have never been able to find it and given that I live with teenaged son as among others I've ceased to be offended by pretty much everything a loooong time ago so, yeah send me the picture:thumbsup2

Rebecca was kind to us and she let us play with her Minnie play set. This was especially appreciated because our dress up Dee doll was proving difficult to catch as she made her rounds around the world.

I am a little sad to say that dress up Minnie had a bit of a drinking problem on our trip and she may have gotten into the liquor stash. There are also unconfirmed reports that dress up Minnie was nekked and mooning passers by from the balcony of of Polynesian resort accommodations. Minne is really sweet until she gets a couple of shots under her belt. Then the gloves come off and we have to listen to her whine about Cinderella and Aurora. Whatever you do do NOT let her get started on Anna and Elsa. She seems to think that they have a thing for Mickey and one or the other is trying to steal him away. It got so bad that we had to call Miss Piggy and have her do an intervention over the phone. :sad2:

~NM
:rotfl2::rotfl2:You are one funny lady NM :goodvibes
Was that you and your friend Matthew canoodling behind the rocks in Dee's "not quite empty" SAB photo????

::MinnieMo What an evening! First I am so glad your search was successful for that hidden monument! Wow, your Illuminations pictures are way better than mine from that evening. Must be that fancy camera phone of yours! Rain and all it was an excellent viewing spot.

I searched long and hard for that monument and finally, success!

:sad2:

Thanks! I am pretty happy with the photos, although the ones I shared are the best of what I took. I have about the same number that are not post-worthy.

Thanks for getting that spot for us!

I didn't write about the visitor who joined us. (Not Nannette).

I am so glad you are still enjoying Minnie and it wasn't just an impulsive buy that ends up in the back of the closet.

~NM

I'm glad to hear Rebecca shared. I've heard that it is not good to go without a dress-up toy cold turkey.

I was not aware of the secret life of dress-up Minnie. I always hope that those in emotional and mental distress get the help they desperately need. Hugs to Minnie.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter