Antibiotics or not?

alc571

DIS Veteran
Just visited a second walkin clinic. Both doctors have said they don't think I have pneumonia, but today's doctor gave me a script for antibiotics because my symptoms are the same as they were in January when I had pneumonia (confirmed by chest X-ray, because my family Dr didn't "hear" the pneumonia then but my son had it - also not heard, but confirmed via chest X-ray). She said they wouldn't hurt me, and would probably make me feel better regardless of virus/bacterial - even if only psychologically.

I hate taking antibiotics. I was on antibiotics for my last Disney trip due to sinus infection.

So do I take them anyway and forget about the sickness (which has me totally stressed) or wait it out and take if I get worse? We fly out on Sunday morning.

My DS is just getting over a cold (2.5 weeks of it) so I've been MAJOR stressed which is why I'm sure I got sick in the first place :(

I'd skip them. More than likely what you have is viral.

Do you not have a regular doctor you can go see? I'd really think you should go to your GP rather than a walk in clinic.

My delightful GP works part time hours, and then decided to leave on maternity leave within 6 months of my joining her practice...lol. Her "replacement" only works Wed/Thu and is booked for a few weeks...otherwise I would have seen her.

I agree with you. I would have much rather seen my own doctor. I trust her. This is why I went to see a second doctor - I didn't trust the first one. He was very dismissive.

Sorry, but I would just take the abx. Not worth risking the trip for the inconvenience of being on the meds. I am also not a huge fan, but I would take every precaution possible if I had a trip in the works. Good luck & feel better soon!

You went to the Dr. twice for this problems, why would you then decide not to take the Rx?

I would take it anyway. Worst case scenario, it doesn't work. Best case, you start to feel better before you go or when you get there. It would really suck to get through half of your trip and then start them because you weren't getting better. Just my two cents. And FWIW, I am not a big antibiotic fan. I think they are overused, but I'm assuming you paid good $$ for this trip and they may help it be much more enjoyable.

if you have had the oneumonia shot then could skip them but I have had it and my primary care always puts me on them anyhow. in face just trhu two weeks of bronical pneumonia

No you should not take them, and I would never return to a doctor who would tell me to take antibiotics when I don't need them. I might fill it just in case, but taking it when it's been confirmed by two doctors hat it isn't bacterial. And yes it can and does hurt all of us. Taking them to make you feel mentally better is irresponsible.

Thanks. I did start taking them. I agree that I'd rather feel better either way, than risk getting worse and ruining my trip. I've been coughing all day, so I hope they kick in soon!

I would insist on another xray. I had pneumonia once and needed two xrays and 3 rounds of antibiotics to finally get it cleared. It took a month!

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter