1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

Another Split Stay Question

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by megmatthbeck, Apr 3, 2013.

1. megmatthbeck

megmatthbeck Earning My Ears

We're planning a visit in August 2014. We are DVC members but are planning on staying 5 nights BC or BLT and then 2 nights in the AoA Little Mermaid area (DD will be 2.5 and loves Ariel).

How much of a hassle is this going to be? I don't want to waste a whole day to check-out and then back in at another resort. However, it would really save us points and DD would love AoA.

Thanks!

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. Deb & Bill

Deb & Bill DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

You will have to check out of your DVC resort by 11AM, but check in time at the new resort will be 3PM, not after 4PM like all DVC resorts. You will be homeless until your new room is ready, though. So you might plan a day at the park until your room is ready or a day at the pool once you check in (or even after you check out of your DVC resort - you can swim there for the rest of the day after you check out).

4. cjnix29

cjnix29 DIS Veteran

If you plan it right, it shouldn't be a hassle. We love split stays, but we usually stay MK/Epcot split. So it was an easier transition. I would plan a park day rather than a pool day because you have to mess with changing clothes, having your wet suits, etc. Or you could do DTD day too. If you don't want to waste a day completely, I wouldn't even go to Art of Animation until after 3, closer to dinner time, etc. That way you aren't waiting around for your room just at the resort. Check out of the first resort, leave your bags, take essentials, head to a park, when you are done at the park, head to Art of Animation. By that time, everything should be ready. We love split stays. Feels like two separate vacations. If you plan it right so you dont' feel like you are homeless!

5. kpm76

kpm76 DIS Veteran<br><font color=purple>Charlie Brown is

We are DVC members as well and almost always do split stays and never have any issues. I would suggest doing the AoA LM stay at the beginning of the trip. We find it hard to go from a DVC (or deluxe) to a value but it's not a "let down" the other way around. Our DD is 5 and dying to stay at AoA as well :)

6. mmmears

mmmears DIS Veteran

It doesn't have to take all day. We check out early morning, ask bell services to transfer our bags to the second resort, then go to the parks. Sometime in the afternoon, we'll go to resort #2 and check in and ask for our bags. Just realize that your luggage may not be there until somewhere between 3-5 pm. But that's how we do it -- we don't waste any park time with the split since we do like to go back in the afternoon to swim. ;)

7. megmatthbeck

megmatthbeck Earning My Ears

Thanks to everyone! I always feel reassured with my planning after visiting here!

We'll definitely go ahead with the BC/AoA plan. Originally I thought to start at AoA then switch to BC, but we're worried that my DD will not want to leave the mermaid room to stay somewhere else!

8. Deb & Bill

But you'll leave the free washer and dryer and kitchen behind... Always better to move up than move down.

9. mickeynut1

mickeynut1 DIS Veteran

I agree with this :thumbsup2. You can also take a cab to AoA first thing in the morning, check in, leave your luggage with bell services and then head out for the day. You may get lucky and your room be ready that early, but if not, they will hold your luggage ;).

10. P00H1010

P00H1010 DIS Veteran

We did a split stay last year and didn't really find it to be a hastle and are planning on most likely doing a split stay again this year. Last year we went frkm BLT to CBR. On the day we were leaving BLT we took our luggage down and told them we needed a transfer. They wrote up tags and attached them for the next resort and told us our bags would probably arrive after 3pm and reminded us to check to make sure we had everything we needed with us. Since we were at BLT we took the monorail over to MK and started our day in the parks. When we were ready we took a bus to CBR and got settled into our room. Bags arrived sometime in the afternoon. Everything went smoothly.

11. momto3gr8boys

momto3gr8boys DIS Veteran

In the eyes of a 2.5 year old, AoA probably is moving up lol.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

12. Deb & Bill

But is that 2.5 yr old paying for the trip? They can find something wonderful at any resort. Tell them they will see bunnies outside their DVC resort and they will want to stay there.