Another resale direct thought

Thanks for all of your thoughts. Not sure if I should do BLT to make it all simple or do the poly. Right not poly resale/direct is just starting to separate in price to make a real difference.
You have 310 BLT points under one contract correct? Unless nearly 100% of your stays will be at BLT, I would get something different. Either off site like HH or Aulani if you'll do either periodically, cheaper like SSR, specialty like BWV for standard or AKV for value/concierge or newer. For newer I'd consider Poly or VGF but if that's what I were looking at I'd likely wait and see what CC looks like.

You have 310 BLT points under one contract correct? Unless nearly 100% of your stays will be at BLT, I would get something different. Either off site like HH or Aulani if you'll do either periodically, cheaper like SSR, specialty like BWV for standard or AKV for value/concierge or newer. For newer I'd consider Poly or VGF but if that's what I were looking at I'd likely wait and see what CC looks like.

I do have 310 total, but two separate contracts. I am trying to keep the contracts around 150 each, not too big if ever in the future, I (or my children) need to sell-easier to get rid of.
I was thinking of that 11 month grand villa possibility:love:. I am adding more points because as my family is getting older, we are bringing people with us more often and of course....more points are needed in one shot. Since I am already adding my kids to the contracts as they reach 18 yrs. old to make that transition easier when I "move on" I am thinking longer expiration date (newer dvc).

However with CC coming I wonder how that might affect offers for the poly, as you can probably tell, I am leaning that way. I love the monorail, BLT location and rooms sizes are awesome even though the theming isn't my fav.-however I love the Poly theming, and location but rooms are tight for a older family of 5 and two room points add up quickly.(will probably save poly for partial family visits)

That being said, thanks for your insights in helping with my blossoming addiction. Sort of like potato chips:)

I do have 310 total, but two separate contracts. I am trying to keep the contracts around 150 each, not too big if ever in the future, I (or my children) need to sell-easier to get rid of.
I was thinking of that 11 month grand villa possibility:love:. I am adding more points because as my family is getting older, we are bringing people with us more often and of course....more points are needed in one shot. Since I am already adding my kids to the contracts as they reach 18 yrs. old to make that transition easier when I "move on" I am thinking longer expiration date (newer dvc).

However with CC coming I wonder how that might affect offers for the poly, as you can probably tell, I am leaning that way. I love the monorail, BLT location and rooms sizes are awesome even though the theming isn't my fav.-however I love the Poly theming, and location but rooms are tight for a older family of 5 and two room points add up quickly.(will probably save poly for partial family visits)

That being said, thanks for your insights in helping with my blossoming addiction. Sort of like potato chips:)
If your two accounts are under one master, I'd definitely look at something else that either saves you money, gives you more choices or both.

If I were buying Poly I'd buy direct.

There isn't enough value differential yet to make Poly worth it resale, especially given the incentives for direct.

To your main point, I think 50/50 DVC comes up with a VIP plan somewhere down the road where only qualified (direct) points count towards joining.

They can offer things like extra FPs, concierge-type services, near park parking, etc etc. whatever they can think to do.

At the price differential of Poly direct vs resale, I think that's worth rolling the dice on making a Poly add on direct points.

Same with VWL2 until it sales out.

Anywhere else I'd buy resale.

If I were buying Poly I'd buy direct.

There isn't enough value differential yet to make Poly worth it resale, especially given the incentives for direct.

To your main point, I think 50/50 DVC comes up with a VIP plan somewhere down the road where only qualified (direct) points count towards joining.

They can offer things like extra FPs, concierge-type services, near park parking, etc etc. whatever they can think to do.

At the price differential of Poly direct vs resale, I think that's worth rolling the dice on making a Poly add on direct points.

Same with VWL2 until it sales out.

Anywhere else I'd buy resale.

I just ended up buying resale on Poly...the cost savings on my contract vs. Disney's current promo was close to $7k
I used Fidelity

I just ended up buying resale on Poly...the cost savings on my contract vs. Disney's current promo was close to $7k
I used Fidelity

On a 100 pt contract, that'd mean you paid $102/point.

On a 200 pt contract that'd mean you paid $126/pt.

If more points, less than 15% of contracts are >200 points.

So. Great price for contract if you got one. Not representative of the Poly resale market.

Last edited:
On a 100 pt contract, that'd mean you paid $102/point.

On a 200 pt contract that'd mean you paid $126/pt.

If more points, less than 15% of contracts are >200 points.

So. Great price for contract if you got one. Not representative of the Poly resale market.

Thanks.
Poly direct@ 150 points with current promo is $25,400 (before closing costs and fees) = $169.33pp
Poly resale through Fidelity is listed as low as $128pp

Thanks.
Poly direct@ 150 points with current promo is $25,400 (before closing costs and fees) = $169.33pp
Poly resale through Fidelity is listed as low as $128pp
Welcome Home. We own at Poly and love it. Our first contract was a BCV resale and generally think resale is best way to go.

So. I'm not knocking buying a Poly resale.

There are 2 reasons why I wouldn't if I were a first time buyer, but obviously YMMV.

1. Perks. A commonly advised strategy is to buy resale and then add the last 25 points of the number of points you eventually want as an add on.

That maneuver should cost about $1750 more than just buying resale, plus an additional closing so let's say 2 grand, give or take. (Prob less for Poly because the differential between direct and resale prices are smaller, but the greater the deal you could get, the more this would be.)

If this were important enough for you to think a few grand is worth the perks, especially the AP discount, then that itself negates the value of paying $140-$150 for Poly resale, which is representative of current resale pricing.

2. Potential future VIP program. Poly is a 50 yr contract and if DVC decides to do a VIP program, being part of that long term could be of tremendous future value.

I believe DVC can well afford to be a different product, not just another timeshare. Current DVC management obviously disagrees. Industry standard seems to be adding VIP encouragement to upsell owners on more points. So. I think it's coming.

Not so long ago, standard DVC contract was 160 points. I could see two VIP tiers, owners with 160 or more qualified points, and owners with 320 or more qualified points.

I could envision things like turning the EPCOT lounge into a "VIP lounge" long term, extra fast passes, special parking, concierge-like services, etc etc.

The potential future value of qualified vs non-qualified points might be significant. Enough to pay $160/pt direct with incentive vs $120? Maybe not. $160 vs $140? I think I'd roll the dice on direct.

I have a 168 point direct Poly fixed week F&W Lake View contract. We love it.

If DVC added a VIP tier that stared at 160 qualified points? That would certainly pop the value for us.

Even if DVC decided to start VIP at 320 points, the decision to buy into VIP would start with half as many points needed, and that would make it a different calculation.

I'm not knocking your Poly resale. Truly, congrats. Making calculations regarding direct vs resale is different for everyone so which is a better one, again YMMV.

Last edited:
Welcome Home. We own at Poly and love it. Our first contract was a BCV resale and generally think resale is best way to go.

So. I'm not knocking buying a Poly resale.

There are 2 reasons why I wouldn't if I were a first time buyer, but obviously YMMV.

1. Perks. A commonly advised strategy is to buy resale and then add the last 25 points of the number of points you eventually want as an add on.

That maneuver should cost about $1750 more than just buying resale, plus an additional closing so let's say 2 grand, give or take. (Prob less for Poly because the differential between direct and resale prices are smaller, but the greater the deal you could get, the more this would be.)

If this were important enough for you to think a few grand is worth the perks, especially the AP discount, then that itself negates the value of paying $140-$150 for Poly resale, which is representative of current resale pricing.

2. Potential future VIP program. Poly is a 50 yr contract and if DVC decides to do a VIP program, being part of that long term could be of tremendous future value.

I believe DVC can well afford to be a different product, not just another timeshare. Current DVC management obviously disagrees. Industry standard seems to be adding VIP encouragement to upsell owners on more points. So. I think it's coming.

Not so long ago, standard DVC contract was 160 points. I could see two VIP tiers, owners with 160 or more qualified points, and owners with 320 or more qualified points.

I could envision things like turning the EPCOT lounge into a "VIP lounge" long term, extra fast passes, special parking, concierge-like services, etc etc.

The potential future value of qualified vs non-qualified points might be significant. Enough to pay $160/pt direct with incentive vs $120? Maybe not. $160 vs $140? I think I'd roll the dice on direct.

I have a 168 point direct Poly fixed week F&W Lake View contract. We love it.

If DVC added a VIP tier that stared at 160 qualified points? That would certainly pop the value for us.

Even if DVC decided to start VIP at 320 points, the decision to buy into VIP would start with half as many points needed, and that would make it a different calculation.

I'm not knocking your Poly resale. Truly, congrats. Making calculations regarding direct vs resale is different for everyone so which is a better one, again YMMV.
The better sales are the more it benefits current and future members. IMO it's always just been a nice timeshare, nothing more and nothing less and I really don't think one can expect otherwise even though I know many bought with other assumptions. I doubt DVC will start a VIP program though I think it does/did make sense, so it wouldn't be a total surprise. If they did it'd likely start at about 10% inclusion, maybe 300-400 points or so as a guess. With 3 levels that might look like 300, 450 & 600 or 400, 600 & 800 or something similar. Only qualified points basically before the 2016 deadline and only points in a single master would likely count. And the focus would be on further encouraging retail purchases and pushing resale buyers further down, not as a reward for current members.

the cost savings on my contract vs. Disney's current promo was close to $7k
Looks like going resale for poly is starting to make sense now that direct from disney pricing has increased. It seems as though resale prices are dipping a little bit maybe because there is a little more poly on the resale market there is a little competition now.

Marriott has had this happen with at least 8 resorts that I can think of and have threatened with at least 3 others. While most of those were not Marriott built, a couple that were threatened were.
I can only think of Streamside being thrown out of the Marriott system. BUT Marriott has definitely formed a caste system with their Destination points model. If you have a lot of points you get a lot of perks. Those perks are substantial. For instance as a Chairman's Club member I get to reserve earlier than the vast majority of points owners. I also have a longer calendar year banking window and I get to keep my points banked for two years rather than one. There are more but those are the most important to me.
If Disney Vacation Club decides to implement such a program based on the number of developer points you own, nothing is written that will stop them.

I can only think of Streamside being thrown out of the Marriott system. BUT Marriott has definitely formed a caste system with their Destination points model. If you have a lot of points you get a lot of perks. Those perks are substantial. For instance as a Chairman's Club member I get to reserve earlier than the vast majority of points owners. I also have a longer calendar year banking window and I get to keep my points banked for two years rather than one. There are more but those are the most important to me.
If Disney Vacation Club decides to implement such a program based on the number of developer points you own, nothing is written that will stop them.
2 of the 5 Streamside components, Loon Mountain (no long a timeshare and may not be open now), Paradise Island Beach Club, Longboat Bay Club, HH resorts (Spicebush, Swallow Tail & the Saturday Villas). They threatened the rest of Streamside and also came fairly close on Beachplace Towers over a refurbishment disagreement & charging members for parking with the HOA to the point they threatened by letter. The Aruba Ocean Club has also been at risk and may still be to some degree.

Certainly enrolling in the Destinations Points earl on made great sense. It essentially made resale weeks retail and there is a lot of economy of scale and VIP benefits if one is at the higher levels, we are Chairman's Club also. But even before that allowing those reserving multiple weeks to do so 13 months out instead of 12 (even if across the country) was pretty big.

Well, I did it, the contract that I wanted came through. I chose BLT over Poly...because I like the idea of things being all in one place, having a big number of points for that 11 mos. window to possible go for that grand villa sometime (the family is just growing!!) and you can't beat the cost over Poly. Of course I can still stay at poly, which we will when it works (it is just too small for long stays for our size/ages of family and no kitchen).

I got a 160 pt contract for $106 per point, 118/17, 160/18, 160/19. march use year which matches my other two!! Nailed it, now lets wait for ROFR!!!

Thanks again for all of your help!!!

Ok, I am back....I heard from a fellow DVC friend who frequents other boards/forums (gasp!) that there might be another DVC move to either remove something for resale buyers or give more to direct buyers. Of course this comes when my resale contract passed rofr yesterday!!! I already have a good amount of direct points but...you never know. With my luck (my resale last year closed on April 5-ironic right?) it will happen before I close on this contract and be something big...just watch!:scared:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter