• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Another PO killed In the Line of Duty. The Funeral is Today 5/26/15

Great thing about LE families, they take care of each other. I have no doubt this family will be well cared for. They will not be abandoned. Prayers to her family. People tend to write it off as " that is their job" " they know the dangers" but that should not matter, someone has to do it and these men and women go to work everyday as if it will be their last and no matter how much they are put down they keep going. How many people go to work and have to bring home those kind of horrors they see everyday ? They are human and they hurt when they have to tell that parent their child is not coming home, see abused children, go to bloody car wrecks and be spit on and called awful names.
I can't count the times my husband has come home with that look of defeat on his face from what he has seen or when I ask how his day was and I can tell he has left out the worst parts.We miss more holidays, birthdays and anniversaries then I can count. I promise you they don't do it for the pay because it is embarrassing what they are paid to do all of that and do it anyway because they think they can be " that person" that can help just like this officer that gave her life.
I have been to 3 funerals which is 3 to many and nothing will bring you to your knees more then hundreds of grown men standing in formation with tears streaming down their faces.The way your body jumps at hearing the guns and bagpipes and the unforgettable sound of that last call. In every job you will have a bad person but the overwhelming majority of them are good hard working loving men and women.

According to far too many people, blue lives matter less. Even saying "blue lives matter", or "ALL lives matter" is apparently racist.

Well you know what they say about opinions, I'll do a colon cleanse.

Kerrie's story breaks my heart. Great post, livie1205 - you really summed it up. My son and his squad went to DC last week for the ceremonies. His mentor/friend/former sergeant was murdered by a deranged man during a disturbance call in September. As many have said, the thin blue line is not just a symbol - it's a family crest, and their devotion to each other and the families doesn't end with the funeral. I am proud that my son is affiliated with such a wonderful, brave, compassionate group of men and women. It truly is a calling.

In the past 24 hours here, two men have attacked police officers in our area. Last night, an officer was slashed across the face by a man who was being served a warrant. Today, after a ten hour standoff during which negotiators and the suspect's mother tried to talk him into giving up, a suspect who admitted ambushing/shooting an officer in the back of the head last week busted out of the apartment in which he had barricaded himself, firing randomly all around. Officers returned fire, and he was killed. Thankfully, no more officers were shot, and their excellent work prevented many in the neighborhood from being shot, too.

Blessed are the peacemakers! Praying that your LEO, my LEO son and all LEOs arrive home safely at the end of their shifts.

I live in the Omaha area and used to teach at a school very near where the shooting happened. It is a tough area of town to be in, especially for a police officer. I am just so saddened by this, especially in light of the news about her family, her child being released from the hospital today, and just the stories that are coming out one after another about what an outstanding member of our community she was. Our community is feeling a great loss.

There has been a community-wide charity drive called, Omaha Gives, over the past couple weeks. It ended yesterday and the Omaha Police Foundation announced that they are giving all the donations that were made to them, over $68,000 to Officer Orozco's family.
http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/How-to-Help-the-Family-of-Kerrie-Orozco-304533381.html

I was happy to see this thread here on the Dis Boards. Not often do you see stories from the Omaha area outside of the midwest. It's good to see that people all over are seeing this story and grieving the loss of such a fine woman and officer.

I was happy to see this thread here on the Dis Boards. Not often do you see stories from the Omaha area outside of the midwest. It's good to see that people all over are seeing this story and grieving the loss of such a fine woman and officer.

We have a good community here of very caring people. Sadly we have had too many ( even one is too many ) threads and posts this year so far for our fallen officers in this country.

In addition our loss of US Marines in Nepal on the relief mission. It's all too much.

I am tired, oh so tired, of shedding tears and feeling like another piece of my heart breaks. Thank you for posting the link that you did I just watched the news in your area and my heart is full for the outpouring of support.

Last edited:
We have a good community here of very caring people. Sadly we have had too many ( even one is too many ) threads and posts this year so far for our fallen officers in this country.

In addition our loss of US Marines in Nepal on the relief mission. It's all too much.

I am tired, oh so tired, of shedding tears and feeling like another piece of my heart breaks. Thank you for posting the link that you did I just watched the news in your area and my heart is full for the outpouring of support.
And one of the marines that died was also from Nebraska. Back to the police officer, I have to vent, where are all the higher ups telling us how tragic this is? I'm so tired of them defending criminals and then not a peep when a officer is shot. Not only were the officers on the Omaha police force doing CPR on the officer, they also were doing CPR on the shooter. He fired first, not the officers, then ran, she yelled for him to get on the ground while he was in a crouched shooting position and she never fired a shot. Tried to get a shooter to surrender and it cost her her life. :sad1: Sorry, just had to vent.

What a sad story. I'm so sorry for the baby girl who will never get to grow up with her mother. May she RIP.

rajak73 :grouphug: Trust me there is no one on this thread (I can guarantee it ) that doesn't understand what you are feeling.
I know, it just irritates me that when it happens the other way, LE shoots criminal, the big wigs are all over it saying how terrible that was, yada, yada, yada, and when this happens, NOTHING IS SAID! North Omaha is one of the rougher sections of Omaha, know what the state senator representative is doing? Worrying about passing legislation to ban mountain lion hunting! He even compared the police to ISIS. I'm glad to see all the caring on the Disboards, I didn't know this women, don't live in Omaha, but hurts anyway when this happens.

Nicely said. Warrants & fugitives are very hard units, but most of the LEO who go to those units hardly ever leave them.

Blue lives matter. Where is the big press on this one? It is such a lead story.

It made the news in Chicago.

I live in the Omaha area and used to teach at a school very near where the shooting happened. It is a tough area of town to be in, especially for a police officer. I am just so saddened by this, especially in light of the news about her family, her child being released from the hospital today, and just the stories that are coming out one after another about what an outstanding member of our community she was. Our community is feeling a great loss.

There has been a community-wide charity drive called, Omaha Gives, over the past couple weeks. It ended yesterday and the Omaha Police Foundation announced that they are giving all the donations that were made to them, over $68,000 to Officer Orozco's family.
http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/How-to-Help-the-Family-of-Kerrie-Orozco-304533381.html

Hi to all the fellow Omaha residents! I know of a few Omaha residents around the Dis but didn't realize how many there are. I'm really curious what school you worked at because I work very near the shooting site. Such a horrible story and so sad for everyone involved. There have been some pretty tough stories around Omaha the last few weeks.

North Omaha is one of the rougher sections of Omaha, know what the state senator representative is doing? Worrying about passing legislation to ban mountain lion hunting! He even compared the police to ISIS.
:crazy2: :sad2:

I know, it just irritates me that when it happens the other way, LE shoots criminal, the big wigs are all over it saying how terrible that was, yada, yada, yada, and when this happens, NOTHING IS SAID! North Omaha is one of the rougher sections of Omaha, know what the state senator representative is doing? Worrying about passing legislation to ban mountain lion hunting! He even compared the police to ISIS. I'm glad to see all the caring on the Disboards, I didn't know this women, don't live in Omaha, but hurts anyway when this happens.

That is beyond disgusting, what is he up for re election Sadly he is responding to the minority who hate the police , these morons are still shouting "Hands up, dohn't shoot " even after it was proven with scientific certaity that no one hads their hand up before they were shot I hope he never needs to dial 911, sad thing is the Police would respond to him and take care of the issue.

What a terrible thing to happen to Officer Orozco. My thoughts go out to her family and friends today at her funeral.

It made the news in Chicago.
I think it's disingenuous to say that the news media did not talk about it, but that doesn't fit with a certain world view. It made news in Madison too. I read about it on my local news media right after I saw it here.

It's showing Live now, I'm done already.. I was done at the riderless horse just cant watch another. I don't know a single person that can get through one of these with a dry eye. I don't want to hear another bagpipe.

Where are the riots and protests? A non criminal was shot and killed just going to work but it's not headline news. Beyond disgusted I don't want to read another one of these RIP please no more

Where are the riots and protests? A non criminal was shot and killed just going to work but it's not headline news. Beyond disgusted I don't want to read another one of these RIP please no more

Agreed :sad1: but unfortunately another fallen:

A police officer in a suburb of Albuquerque who was shot and killed during a traffic stop has been identified.

Rio Rancho police said Tuesday that Gregg Benner, a military veteran who had been with the department for four years, was gunned down while pulling over a vehicle shortly after 8 p.m. Monday.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/mexico-police-officer-fatally-shot-person-custody-31307033

I watched part of it after work today. I couldn't bear to watch too much. There is a picture on Facebook of her baby wearing a blue onsie dedicated to her really got to me. She looks just like her mom except for dark hair.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter