Another add on question - re MF

kniquy

DIS Veteran
So say I purchase an add on with a Feb UY (because that is what i have) in October -- What points would i get? would i get 2016 points and 2017 when become available in Feb of 2017- at closing would the total amount due be the - cost of points + closing costs + MF for the year? Just want to get an estimate of what i would be look at for the total amount due at closing- i am talking about a direct add on from disney.
Is there any better time frame purchasing an add on based on your UY - I hear of people getting "extra" points - which i know are not really extra but trying to figure out what they charge you for MF when you purchase. I think i am confusing myself.

Please give me a scenario with a Feb UY.

You get the points based on UY. If you are in your 2015 UY you start with 2015 points, 2016, you start with those.

Feb UY would start with 2016 points.

:earsboy: Bill

So say I purchase an add on with a Feb UY (because that is what i have) in October -- What points would i get? would i get 2016 points and 2017 when become available in Feb of 2017- at closing would the total amount due be the - cost of points + closing costs + MF for the year? Just want to get an estimate of what i would be look at for the total amount due at closing- i am talking about a direct add on from disney.
Is there any better time frame purchasing an add on based on your UY - I hear of people getting "extra" points - which i know are not really extra but trying to figure out what they charge you for MF when you purchase. I think i am confusing myself.

Please give me a scenario with a Feb UY.
Basically the best "deal" is if you purchase right before the end of your UY. For you that would be in Jan 2017. You would get your 2016 points for "free" from Disney because you wouldn't owe 2016 MF but would receive those points. Then on Feb 1 2017 you would get the 2017 points (which you would pay MF for based on date of purchase-it is prorated so if you bought Jan 31st you'd pay 11/12 of MF for 2017). If you purchase in Oct 2016 you'd get the same point allotment but pay prorated MF for 2016 and full 2017 MF. But if you need the points before January to make a reservation then the small savings would not be worth it (only 3/12 yearly MF based on an Oct purchase date).

Basically the best "deal" is if you purchase right before the end of your UY. For you that would be in Jan 2017. You would get your 2016 points for "free" from Disney because you wouldn't owe 2016 MF but would receive those points. Then on Feb 1 2017 you would get the 2017 points (which you would pay MF for based on date of purchase-it is prorated so if you bought Jan 31st you'd pay 11/12 of MF for 2017). If you purchase in Oct 2016 you'd get the same point allotment but pay prorated MF for 2016 and full 2017 MF. But if you need the points before January to make a reservation then the small savings would not be worth it (only 3/12 yearly MF based on an Oct purchase date).

Thank you -- this is exactly what i want to know, but never heard many people talk about it. So i am guessing that if i purchase in January they automatically bank them into the following UY.

I don't think the banking is "automatic" but when you purchase direct they will let you bank them even if it is at the end of the current use year (i.e. After the 8 month banking window has ended). You just have to tell DVC you want them banked into the following UY.
Just something else to keep in mind. Not sure what resort you want but Disney does not always have points readily avail in every UY at every resort to sell direct. So if you wait until the very end of your UY and they don't have the points avail until they ROFR something (or an owner defaults on their contract) you could wind up not being able to buy until your Feb 2017 UY starts.

good point!! I would be looking at AKV (thats where we own) or possibly somewhere else, but same UY. Such a tough decision

Thank you -- this is exactly what i want to know, but never heard many people talk about it. So i am guessing that if i purchase in January they automatically bank them into the following UY.
That assumes no price increase which is almost always more than any extra fees would be. Of course the shorter lifespan has implications as well. But s noted, the cheapest options for RETAIL all else equal is to buy right at the end of the UY and bank the expiring points. The pitfalls besides a possible price increase is it means one is buying retail which is almost always more expensive enough to make it not reasonable. The exceptions are where there aren't significant discounts resale, you can't get that option resale (newest/fixed week) and for small packages at no more than 50 pts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter