Annual Pass verus 10 day pass

We've used the 10 Day NE + WPM tickets for the past number of years and will miss them. That said, our water park entries are covered for the foreseeable future - which is good since we've discovered that we are water park people! :)

We typically only make it to WDW once per year and spend 3 or 4 days in the major patks - so APs do not work for us. (Even if they did, I am the sole DVC owner and routinely travel with 7 family members who would not be eligible for the DVC AP discount anyway.)

I hope that DVC will come out with more MYW ticket discounts down the line.

we typically stay 5 or 6 nights, so a 10 day wouldn't work for 2 trips. We time our trips to get at least 2 trips out of an AP.

Same here. But until this last year, so far we've tended to stay more like 10 days per trip. AP works, normal tickets don't.

Same here. But until this last year, so far we've tended to stay more like 10 days per trip. AP works, normal tickets don't.
We do the same, this year we timed our passes to get 3 trips out of them (10 days this past Thanksgiving, 6 days this june and 4 days for the Wine & Dine half marathon. So we will get 20 days out of our passes this year- WELL worth it!

A theme I keep reading here is "we time our trips" to get 2 visits or 3. That is my point, for us we never had to do that. With the non expire it was a non issue. We went when we wanted over whatever time period we wanted and never had to worry about our tickets expiring. As I mentioned this was our best option and we avoided several price increases. For our family this was the best option and I still think it would have not been a big deal for Disney to keep this option if they wanted to, it was just a money issues with them. They count on people needing to renew or purchase the AP's and with the non expire it allowed people to further stretch their trips out and avoid these price increases. But hey they are gone now so we will adjust and move on...smjj

Last edited:

I do annual passes and stagger them every other year. So I'll travel 4 times between July 2015 - May 2016 with an AP- then wait until around May of 2017 to do another handful of trips. That way I still go "annually" at the very least but only buy APs every other year. I'll likely go to Disneyland/Aulani in January 2017 to get my "fix" between that time. Just find out what works for you :)

Itd be easier if we got those $399 PAPs back :rotfl:

A theme I keep reading here is "we time our trips" to get 2 visits or 3. That is my point, for us we never had to do that. With the non expire it was a non issue. We went when we wanted over whatever time period we wanted and never had to worry about our tickets expiring. As I mentioned this was our best option and we avoided several price increases. For our family this was the best option and I still think it would have not been a big deal for Disney to keep this option if they wanted to, it was just a money issues with them. They count on people needing to renew or purchase the AP's and with the non expire it allowed people to further stretch their trips out and avoid these price increases. But hey they are gone now so we will adjust and move on...smjj
You still needed to worry about it before. If you only got two trips out of it, then you were losing money. If you ever went twice in one year, you were losing money. There wasn't anything magical about the NE ticket that made such a great deal you didn't have to think about it. And I can just about guarantee, it was an accounting decision, not a revenue decision.

You still needed to worry about it before. If you only got two trips out of it, then you were losing money. If you ever went twice in one year, you were losing money. There wasn't anything magical about the NE ticket that made such a great deal you didn't have to think about it. And I can just about guarantee, it was an accounting decision, not a revenue decision.

I agree

They count on people needing to renew or purchase the AP's and with the non expire it allowed people to further stretch their trips out and avoid these price increases.

But with our DVC discount- there is such little price difference between renewing or getting a new pass (around $80). So I don't think it was a "count on people needing to renew" decision.

We have AP's now but we have also purchased tickets to accommodate our length of stay. We never stay 10 days so I doubt we will be able to purchase 10 day tickets now that they expire.

I do not understand your logic. We bought non expire, that meant we did not need to worry about getting in trips before they expire, we could go whenever with any type of a gap between trips be it months or years. We even went a couple of times and spend 1 day in the parks and the other 4 days outside the parks and just did not feel pressured to "use them up". We never needed to feel like we were not getting our monies worth if we decided to wait a year or two. That for us was nice. Also by taking this time to use them whenever we wanted we usually avoided at least 2 price increases, that alone is worth quite a bit ..smjj

I do not understand your logic. We bought non expire, that meant we did not need to worry about getting in trips before they expire, we could go whenever with any type of a gap between trips be it months or years. We even went a couple of times and spend 1 day in the parks and the other 4 days outside the parks and just did not feel pressured to "use them up". We never needed to feel like we were not getting our monies worth if we decided to wait a year or two. That for us was nice. Also by taking this time to use them whenever we wanted we usually avoided at least 2 price increases, that alone is worth quite a bit ..smjj
Obviously it all depends on the specifics of your situation, but two three-day tickets cost more than an annual pass.

The break-even on an Annual pass is six days over two trips within 366 days.
The break-even on a regular ticket versus using days from a no-expiration ticket is four days in one trip.

If either of those scenarios match your travel, then you're throwing money away by using the no-expiration ticket, at least for those trips.

Due to other committments, we travel to WDW once per year for 4 nights. We usually travel the same dates (plus or minus 1 day). Therefore the AP is of no use to us. We are no expiration people. Out of those 4 nights, we hit the parks 2 maybe 3 days depending on the weather. We love to park hop and visit all our favorite things. It was so nice to have this flexibility. Thankfully I stocked up on some tickets so that we can continue this pattern for a number of years. Should we ever go for longer or take a second trip, we will look at the annual passes and save the NE tickets for the future.

Due to other committments, we travel to WDW once per year for 4 nights. We usually travel the same dates (plus or minus 1 day). Therefore the AP is of no use to us. We are no expiration people. Out of those 4 nights, we hit the parks 2 maybe 3 days depending on the weather. We love to park hop and visit all our favorite things. It was so nice to have this flexibility. Thankfully I stocked up on some tickets so that we can continue this pattern for a number of years. Should we ever go for longer or take a second trip, we will look at the annual passes and save the NE tickets for the future.

Thanks for understanding. A previous poster was using some kind of math to tell me I was losing money. I do not see the math since they were unaware we bought our last 10 day non expire in 2012 and will be using them again in June of 2015 on 2012 prices(missed 3 price increases). We will still have extras on the tickets we may or may not use for waterparks or probably Disney miniture golf, again at 2012 prices. It is not always about money, sometimes like us it is just one less thing to worry about. With all the fastpass+ and ADR's you need to make now just to get on a ride or eat at a nice restaurant it is just one less thing to worry about. We just plan and go and try not to get caught up in all this extreme planning others do. I guess we are old school. It was nice to be able to take a year or two off and not need to worry about using the remaining days on a ticket before it expires, that to us is worth a few bucks....smjj

AP's force multiple visits or if the guest doesn't, more profit for Disney. Same process as the DDP, credits not used, more profit.

We are to a point where we only visit the parks a couple of days per 10 day stay so we love the NE option. That's why we bought enough NE tickets for the next 10 plus years.

:earsboy: Bill

AP's force multiple visits or if the guest doesn't, more profit for Disney. Same process as the DDP, credits not used, more profit.

We are to a point where we only visit the parks a couple of days per 10 day stay so we love the NE option. That's why we bought enough NE tickets for the next 10 plus years.

:earsboy: Bill

We wanted to do this also but between planning and paying for our next June trip and getting new floors we just could not swing it...smjj

We buy the AP and go the end of August one year and then early August the next year. It works great. Sometimes we throw in a February trip, just because we have the AP!

We loved the NE option too. We usually go for a week in October. We do two full commando days and one party. Five trips out of one 10 day ticket. We love relaxing around the resort, leisurely dining, and meandering around on our non-park days. It works for us. We have enough tickets to do 9 more trips like this and 17 WP&More days we can throw in. We may do a year every so often with a fall and then spring trip and buy APs. I am sad they are gone, but it will be years before we have to really worry about it. We may even sell our points at that time if we can't make it work.

If anybody here is a member of Working Advantage it looks like they still have NE left to sell.10day NE PH for $754.00

:teeth: It would be interesting to see how many DVC members purchased an AP/PAP vs a non-expiring 10 day vs those who used both. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see a large number of DVC members prefer the NE option.

We are AP people and almost always stay at the BWV. It's too hard for me to be so close to EPCOT and not run in to eat or hang around WS for a couple of hours. I'd be a nervous wreck using a day of admission off an expensive ticket to do that, LOL.

I'm sad to see the NE option disappear, but I can understand why Disney did it.

Someone should start a poll.
:rolleyes1

We bought a 10 day non-expire, years and years ago and still have two days left on it. I often go to Orlando for conferences and my family travels with me if possible. We tend to visit the parks one-three days per trip. An AP does not work for us, the 10 day NEs were great. We will miss them. Actually, we will probably just stop visiting the parks and start vacationing elsewhere. We have been wanting to visit Universal, maybe it is time to do so. :sad1:

Last edited:
We love the ne tickets. We would get them with the water parks and more option so would essentially get 20 days per ticket. We typically use two park days and one or two water park days and then the rest of the time will spend at the pool or mini golf or shopping. I am so going to miss these tickets.

Will prob end up with annual passes and feel more pressure to be in the parks. We love the ne because we can actually relax at Disney. Less pressure to go go go. We enjoy all the little things the resorts offer.

I seriously doubt we will add on points now. Instead we will do more non Disney vacations to the beach and mountains. My parents have martiott vacation club. Very very nice. On par with Disney!

We always used the non expiring tix because DH and I would go to a park one or two days each trip. Now we never go alone our grown children like to tag along with their children. That means more park time so AP's may be in our future. I do have one 10 day non expiring park hopper left which has never been used.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter