Anna & Elsa strategy

Colleen27

DIS Veteran
Okay, plan A (FP+) and plan B (pre-opening ADR) both fell through. What's the best way to see Anna & Elsa without either of those strategies?

Looking at the data on Touring Plans, it looks like maybe rope drop isn't a very good strategy? They have the wait time peaking shortly after the park opens, and falling late in the day. Has anyone experienced this first-hand? How are the wait times in the last hour or so of the night?

I know my party won't be moving fast enough to be in the front of the pack. No matter how early we arrive we'll fall behind the runners and fastest walkers when the rope actually drops. But we are night owls and will be at the MK until it closes (currently scheduled for midnight). Should I still go with the conventional wisdom of trying for rope drop or would I be better off going in the evening, during the parade or fireworks?

If you're pretty sure they'll last, I'd just plan on doing it late. Start watching wait times on the app late at night and see if it looks doable. Keep in mind though that really late, near closing, they tend to inflate the times to keep people from getting in line.

I also think they cut the line 30 minutes prior to closing.

I looked at the wait times app last night 15 minutes before MK closed & A&E had a 45 minute wait posted. I think that was at 10:45 with a 11:00 closing.

Maybe if you plan for late night meet you can check FP+ throughout the day to see if you can snag one someone changes?

Keep in mind that the line closes a half hour before park closing time so don't wait too late. Last summer, we visited A&E just before 11:30 pm on a non-EMH night. The posted wait time was 90 minutes but the actual wait was less than 10.

I managed to get in to see them very last thing one night on my last trip (all be it in September). Posted time was only 15 minutes but I would say it look a little longer. Think end of the night is probably your best bet without FP+ or the ADR

I would try at night during the parade or around wishes? We weren't able to get a FP in early March but lucked out on a Saturday night with EMH. We happened to walk by around 9pm and the wait time posted was 15mins so we got in line. Every other time we passed by, the wait was 60 mins +

My best friend and I saw Elsa and Anna about 15 minutes before closing time when I went earlier this month. The posted wait was "30 minutes", but honestly, it wasn't even a ten minute wait. It was quite the achievement-- I've been trying to see them since they had those crazy long waits in Norway. I don't know why I never tried this before. Now then again, this was on May 6th. Will it be longer 15 minutes prior to closing in say, July? Maybe! But I doubt it would be longer than 15-20 minutes. Also, don't pay attention to the posted wait time. I could clearly see from the outside that the line only had about 7-10 families in it. The false wait time is a technique to keep people away so that the attraction can close on time ;)

I wouldn't try the rope drop unless you seriously are one of the first people to arrive at attraction. In early May, which is still considered off season, the wait for Anna and Elsa was 120 minutes at 9:25 am. If you have the park hopper option, I would suggest eating dinner somewhere, and then coming to MK later at night. Maybe even plan a nap mid day so they won't be tired. I'm certain that you will be able to squeeze it in before closing.

Just get in line during the MK firework show and you will be able to see them. We did that as FP+ was not available and it worked out fine. It took about an hour to get through the line to see them at Princess Fairytail Hall or whatever it is called. They actually stayed later than advertised.

My best friend and I saw Elsa and Anna about 15 minutes before closing time when I went earlier this month. The posted wait was "30 minutes", but honestly, it wasn't even a ten minute wait. It was quite the achievement-- I've been trying to see them since they had those crazy long waits in Norway. I don't know why I never tried this before. Now then again, this was on May 6th. Will it be longer 15 minutes prior to closing in say, July? Maybe! But I doubt it would be longer than 15-20 minutes. Also, don't pay attention to the posted wait time. I could clearly see from the outside that the line only had about 7-10 families in it. The false wait time is a technique to keep people away so that the attraction can close on time ;)

I wouldn't try the rope drop unless you seriously are one of the first people to arrive at attraction. In early May, which is still considered off season, the wait for Anna and Elsa was 120 minutes at 9:25 am. If you have the park hopper option, I would suggest eating dinner somewhere, and then coming to MK later at night. Maybe even plan a nap mid day so they won't be tired. I'm certain that you will be able to squeeze it in before closing.

This is what I'm hoping for. We're experts at closing down the parks and would actually have preferred a later night in the MK, but midnight is the best we can do for our dates. I know they greatly overstate wait times later in the evening so I won't let the posted time faze me; we'll just get in line around 11:20 or so and hope for the best. Even if it is still a longer wait at least we won't be missing much ride time, and it'll certainly be less stressful for my bunch than rushing there with the rope drop mob.

We're planning to be at MK for rope drop, do some of Fantasyland (Peter Pan, SDMT w/FP, Belle w/FP) and circle around through Liberty Square, Frontierland, and Adventureland (Jungle Cruise w/FP), then leave the park for the hottest part of the day. Dinner is going to be around 4-5pm at one of the MK area resort lounges, probably Trader Sam's or Tambu, and then we'll head back into the park for the evening, starting with the higher capacity/lower demand Fantasyland attractions, working back to Tomorrowland, and then back into Fantasyland towards the end of the night.

I'm sorry to hear your FP and ADR plans fell through. That is what I am worried about myself. I hope the late-in-the-day game gets it done for you.

If you are dead set on seing them I would still do the rope drop strategy. That way you got it out of the way and you can use your FP for other rides and enjoy walking on a bunch of stuff the last hour. Just gives you more flexibility later in the day and you don't have it nagging at you in the back of your mind all day...

If it is one of those things that you would like to do but it won't be the end of the world if you don't: then try during wishes or just get in line 45 mintes before park closes...

If you are dead set on seing them I would still do the rope drop strategy. That way you got it out of the way and you can use your FP for other rides and enjoy walking on a bunch of stuff the last hour. Just gives you more flexibility later in the day and you don't have it nagging at you in the back of your mind all day...

It seems like that would eat up pretty much all of the cooler, lower crowd morning time though. My mom is traveling with us and she just doesn't move quickly enough for us to be at/near the front of the pack with the way they're currently doing rope drop (remember the good old days when they at least tried to stop people from running? :rolleyes:). So realistically, we'd be looking at getting to the line at least 15min after the park opens. The crowd predictors I've been looking at all show a huge wait time spike a half hour into the day with waits of an hour or more. Considering that we're going to be there on a "9" crowd level day in the June heat, I really don't want from rope drop until 9:30-10am taken up with just one attraction, especially since we're planning on a break that day. I'm more comfortable rolling the dice on the evening meet. After all, if we get in line a half hour before closing we're not missing much even if the wait is longer than expected.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter