Animals being moved during stay at AKV!

goterps1986

Mouseketeer
We are going to the AKL on Saturday (1/17) using DVC points. We have a 2 bedroom savannah view and were told the animals were being moved! And there are no other 2 bedrooms available right now. This is very disappointing since we got the savannah view for our daughter and our 2 nephews (first trip). 2 questions-has anyone else encountered this yet and does that mean the construction will be bad as well? Any suggestions or ideas? And it's our first trip using our points at our home! Thanks.

The news that the animals being moved from 1/15-4/15 because of the Kidani opening has been posted and published to DVC members for almost a year now. Im sorry that happened to you on your trip :sad2: but the best bet is just to see if there is anything available when you get there.

Thanks for the response. I had not been on this board for a while but was told there was a possibility. But it would depend on what rooms, etc.? And I guess it's right where the 2 bedroom savannah view rooms are. And they don't have any other 2 bedrooms available where the animals will be seen. Does anyone know another good room option? Or has anyone been there recently in one of the rooms with the construction going on? Hopefully, that won't be an issue either. It's just bad timing for our first visit. Thanks.

I think most of the AKV Savannah View units are 2BR lockoffs (Can be rented as a 2BR, or seperate 1BR and Studio) Just happens that, right now, there are about 1/3 less savannah view units available.

AKV is an amazing resort! Enjoy the other animal viewing areas (in the hallways and the lobby) and restaurants, and enjoy your once in a lifetime view of a new resort being built!

While it's disappointing not to have a savanna view, the other non-savanna rooms still have plenty of animal viewing areas that include wanderful little seating areas as well. We ended up with a standard view CL room last March, and we didn't mind at all.

I have NOT heard a word yet though, and we leave for AKV savanna view 2 bedroom a week from today. When did you get your notice?

not the original poster but as an add on question ...

do you recover some of your points when something like this happens? Do they knock the room back down to a standard rm since you don't get the view? Or is it a matter of "take your chances"? It's good to know there are plenty of other places available to see the animals.

Alison

They will return the difference between savannah and standard view after your stay. I think they are waiting until after in case a room on one of the other savannahs opens up.

Yes, they are going to credit points back for those affected after their stay. Partial details from the member website:
Approximately 30 days prior to arrival, the resort will determine, based on occupancy and booking date order, which Members will be assigned to a Sunset Savanna view room. Affected Members will be notified, and after their stay, will receive a Vacation Point credit reflecting the difference between a savanna view and standard view (no additional compensation will be given).

Although the savanna view is nice (we had a SV studio in October) there are TONS of other places to see the animals. There are seating areas all around the resort, indoors and outdoors. I was so impressed by all the viewing areas that I decided to book a standard room next time and save the points. (Actually, our next trip is in the value size rooms because it is an "extra":) )

Your trip will not be ruined by not having a savanna view from your room.:hippie: In fact, there is one plus to NOT having a savanna view that I inadvertently discovered when I took DD3 and DD5...It was IMPOSSIBLE to get them off the balcony to eat breakfast...go to bed...go to the PARKS!:laughing: All they wanted to do was wait and see if any more animals would show up! We saw a decent amount, but it wasn't like the videos. The promos make it seem like you open your curtains and there are the zebras, giraffes, elands, kudus and wildebeests...all happily grazing in the savanna. I would guess that at least 50% of the time that we went out on our balcony to observe the savanna, we'd be lucky to see a bird! We did see a family of 5 giraffes eating from the trees and 2 ankole cattle sleeping under the trees. Every once in a while, an eland or 2 would stroll by, but it really wasn't all that stimulating.

We saw a lot of animals by just walking around the lodge and stopping at all the little nooks that had windows overlooking the savannas. That was far more interesting than sitting on our balcony. Now, this is not to say that I will never book savanna view again. If I have the points, I certainly will. But I also have no problem with the standard view if that's all they have or all I can afford.

Have a great trip!:yay:

Although the savanna view is nice (we had a SV studio in October) there are TONS of other places to see the animals. There are seating areas all around the resort, indoors and outdoors. I was so impressed by all the viewing areas that I decided to book a standard room next time and save the points. (Actually, our next trip is in the value size rooms because it is an "extra":) )

Your trip will not be ruined by not having a savanna view from your room.:hippie: In fact, there is one plus to NOT having a savanna view that I inadvertently discovered when I took DD3 and DD5...It was IMPOSSIBLE to get them off the balcony to eat breakfast...go to bed...go to the PARKS!:laughing: All they wanted to do was wait and see if any more animals would show up! We saw a decent amount, but it wasn't like the videos. The promos make it seem like you open your curtains and there are the zebras, giraffes, elands, kudus and wildebeests...all happily grazing in the savanna. I would guess that at least 50% of the time that we went out on our balcony to observe the savanna, we'd be lucky to see a bird! We did see a family of 5 giraffes eating from the trees and 2 ankole cattle sleeping under the trees. Every once in a while, an eland or 2 would stroll by, but it really wasn't all that stimulating.

We saw a lot of animals by just walking around the lodge and stopping at all the little nooks that had windows overlooking the savannas. That was far more interesting than sitting on our balcony. Now, this is not to say that I will never book savanna view again. If I have the points, I certainly will. But I also have no problem with the standard view if that's all they have or all I can afford.

Have a great trip!:yay:

Thanks for that, am looking at AKV resales and in determining the amount of points I think I'll need I was basing it on a 1BR SV, however given the amount of other places to see the animals I may be able to get by on less !

Thanks for that, am looking at AKV resales and in determining the amount of points I think I'll need I was basing it on a 1BR SV, however given the amount of other places to see the animals I may be able to get by on less !

I understand kristenrice's viewpoint, especially about the children being distracted, but if I were staying for more than just a 1-3 day trip, I would like to always be in a savannah view. I absolutely love looking at the animals in the savannah from the comfort of my own balcony.

Bobbi:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter