Animal Programs PI

Discussion in 'The College Board' started by GingerBimber, Nov 22, 2006.

1. GingerBimber

GingerBimber Earning My Ears

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to know how many of you out there are going to do a professional internship in animal programs? Let us all know!! I am doing nutrition research and diet preparation at Animal Kingdom. Super ready for January!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. aiviber

aiviber Earning My Ears

MARINE MAMMAL AT THE SEAS... WOO HOO!!!!
    where are all you guys living?

4. aiviber

aiviber Earning My Ears

where'd everybody go???

5. phishphool

phishphool Earning My Ears

Hey guys,

I was just offered a PI in Animal Programs Conservation Education. I am honestly totally on the fence whether to accept this invitation or not. I was a CP beginning in JAN '03, and then transferred into Full Time for another 1 1/2 years. I am graduating this coming December. This is totally something I want to do, but am bummed out with the no health benefits and CP"ish" benefits as far as park passes etc. goes. Does anyone know others who have done PI's in Animal Programs in the past? I'm also fretting this decision b/c right now I am finishing my student teaching over here in London, England!

Thanks for any advice!

Billy Spicer
    Chicago, IL

6. leilani11

leilani11 Just keep swimming

Aquatic Research at The Seas! I still have no idea what I'll be doing, but as long as I get to dive every so often, I don't think I'll care. :fish:

Amber, what's your major in school? Kind of random, but curious.

By the way, we need to track down the other animal program kids. :)

7. aiviber

aiviber Earning My Ears

Hi!
    I am a Marine Bio Major. In my interview, they told me that I would be diving every morning. I am assuming that is probably about the same for all the seas interns. I dont know if you have seen this yet...

http://pets.webshots.com/album/144772649lonkaR

but this girl was an intern in 2004 and posted a bunch ofher pictures online.
    There is also a guy I found on myspace (this lack of information has turned me into a stalker), but he is an intern right now and I am trying to tap him from information :) Ill let you know what I find out. Cant wait to meet you guys!

8. leilani11

Those pictures are awesome! I want a pic with scuba mickey :)

Definitely relay any info you can get. I'm going crazy!

9. aiviber

aiviber Earning My Ears

i know! I got really excited when I saw those pictures. My grandma even sent them around to family. Seems like everyone is dying for info. Michelle (did you deal with her at all?) said she would send the packets out before Thanksgiving or right after, so soon hopefully....

10. leilani11

I only really dealt with Michelle at the beginning when I submitted my application and sent all the info she requested. After that I never heard from her again.

I hope those pics mean we get costumes/uniforms! After reading the Disney Look email, I was praying I wouldn't have to go out and buy a whole new wardrobe for this job! :wizard:

11. aiviber

aiviber Earning My Ears

oh! in my interview, she briefly said something about uniforms we change into after the scuba/prep in the morning. Everyone Ive ever seen at the seas has a uniform. i totally agree on the whole not wanting to buy a new wardrobe thing. about a month now, huh?

12. GingerBimber

In my interview she said all I would have to provide would be nice hiking/work boots. I will be wearing a "jumpsuit" like work uniform the rest of the time. I'm glad about that, but I still don't have any idea how much regular clothes I should bring down with me. This will be my first time living away from home so I am pretty clueless about how much is enough for six months.

13. aiviber

aiviber Earning My Ears

GingerBimber,
    Are you flying or driving? I am driving there, so Im not really worried about having too much to carry on the plane. I lived in Hawaii for 6 months and pretty much packed a lot of clothes that I knew I could leave there if I didnt want to bring them back, which I ended up doing. Also, I had to have my parents bring extra sweatshirts when they came to visit. I guess just dont leave out anything you thing you might miss and dont pack stuff you can easily puchase in florida, if its taking up too much space. I dont really know what sorta dresser/closet space we will have. i guess we'll see.

14. GingerBimber

I am driving down. I have a Honda Element so I will be able to cram a lot of stuff into it, but I really only want to take the absolute necessities and buy whatever I need down in Florida. I think I am going to get those tupperware under the bed storage containers for clothes and such because, like you, I have no idea how much closet/dresser space we will actually have. The floorplans on Northbridge website show pretty decent walk in closets, but who knows really. My family is going on a holiday cruise this Christmas leaving from Ft. Lauderdale. We're going to swing by Northbridge on the way and ask to see one of the rooms so I can get a better idea of what I'm up against. I'll try to take pictures and post them here.

15. leilani11

Hey guys, Check your email! Check your email! Wow. I hope I'm not the only one this excited about an email. :cool1:

16. aiviber

aiviber Earning My Ears

just got it!!! So excited!!!!!!!!!!!! leilani, do you know where you are living yet?

17. GingerBimber

I got the email! But I could have sworn that everybody else told me to check in on the 12th. The email said 13th. Please someone enlighten me! If this is the case my dad needs to change hotel and rental car reservations! I can't believe it is finally happening - it will be here before we know it!

18. leilani11

Hey Ginger, I was wondering the same thing. I was told the 12th by my recruiter, but I trust Michelle over the recruiters any day. I would make sure though, she seems to reply really quickly.

Amber, not yet, my dad and I are meeting up in Orlando this Friday to check out locations. My boyfriend's family is friends with someone that works at Disney, so they're sending us about 10 pages of Disney employees trying to rent out rooms, condos, etc to other Disney folks from Jan-Jun.

Ok I really need to stop day dreaming about disney and start studying! :badpc:

19. aiviber

aiviber Earning My Ears

Ginger..
    Did you get the same email too regarding the diving or was yours different?

Leilani,
    Good luck finding a place. and fast. you have friends there right?

I cant wait to meet you guys. Theres an intern trying to organize a meet up the night before check in, for dinner or something. You guys interested?

20. leilani11

Yeah, my boyfriend and a few friends from high school go to UCF. And I'm definitely interested in meeting up with everyone! I was thinking about it, and that email has all the seas interns' email addresses and Ginger's email probably has a lot of the animal kingdom interns, so we could ask a lot of people if they want to do something pretty easily. Hehe, the group could get pretty big, I wonder how many animal program interns are out there?

21. GingerBimber

Hey all! My email did not have anything about diving in it so it must have been different. I would love to get a group together! I can't wait to finally put names with faces. Did you all have an attachment about footwear on your email? Mine said there was but I actually didn't have one. Oh, well. It must explain everything in, da da daaaa! - The Packet!

I also had to tell Michelle some dates I will be needing to go out of town for vet school interviews and a wedding. I hope she understands. I even sent her the letter I got and everything from the school.

Need to study for finals now, have two tomorrow! Good luck, everyone!