And the next rumor is....

Discussion in 'Disney Rumors and News' started by disneyworld1977, Feb 5, 2013.

1. disneyworld1977

disneyworld1977 Mouseketeer

General Resort News - (2/5/13) Rumor has it that Walt Disney World is planning on holding some kind major press release event in late April. Could this be for a new series of attractions and shows in the parks? Or will this just be a pre-summer announcement and reminder about the MyMagic+ system? Stay tuned!

Source: Screamscape

More rumors.....:rotfl:

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Pumbaa7287

Pumbaa7287 I am the great Stone Dragon!

My guess would be that it's either related to the new AvatarLand, an announcement about CarsLand coming to DHS, or maybe (my prayer) that they are finally doing something in PI.

4. DanBoris

DanBoris DIS Veteran

We have been repeatedly disappointed by press events recently, so I am skeptical this this is going to be anything major, if it's even true. My guess would be more information about NextGen. I think if they are going to do major attraction news it will happen at D23.

5. mcd2745

mcd2745 These Mickey pretzels are making me thirsty!

All those would be good, but my guess will be that it is about the plans for the next DVC.

6. Pumbaa7287

Pumbaa7287 I am the great Stone Dragon!

A guy can dream, can't he?

7. mcd2745

mcd2745 These Mickey pretzels are making me thirsty!

My heart is with you - I'm rooting for an announcement about DTD. My head, however...not so much.

8. anthony2k7

anthony2k7 DIS Veteran

This. Disneys recent announcements (other than the vaporware avatarland and Hyperian Warf) have tended to be stuff most fans already knew about. So I'm guessing this will be the big official announcement of MyMagic+. Maybe some other mentions of where one of the cruise ships will be going this year as well - which is probably already well booked up lol.

Generally, I can almost guarantee it will be stuff Disney want the media to be talking about, rather than stuff fans will want to be talking about.

9. lockedoutlogic

lockedoutlogic DIS Veteran

I will takes bets that it WON'T be about a major construction project at WDW...with the following exceptions:

Avatarland (still think the probability is low...my money is the can on that one)

DVC construction (probably not quite yet...still have animal kingdom and the GF blocks to sell...though they will never be caught flat footed without something to sell...the next block will probably be a "less desirable locale"...maybe the ft wilderness project...to be followed by the "beat them with a stick" polynesian block)

If I were sitting on billions of operating capital and had recently purchased a legendary franchise that i were rushing to reboot within...ohh...say 3 years...
    And i had parks that i could use said franchise in...

I might be inclined to throw all my creative muscle into rolling out one or more major projects to use this new bargained priced IP...and roll it out to coincide with my new 300 million dollar budget movie (may be more...but that's a ballpark guess)...

I just might...but i don't trust TWDC's commitment to Florida or their desire to sink more capital into their parks right now. And that is said because that was what the old Disney (even the first part of the Reign of Michael the Terrible) could be counted on for...

10. DRDISNEYMD

DRDISNEYMD *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A gi

~I'm hoping for something exciting, but it's probably just an announcement about the changes in leadership, Grand Floridian DVC, or maybe the Four Seasons. I know better than to get my hopes up, nothing can beat the excitement of Limited Time Magic! :goodvibes

11. wiigirl

wiigirl DIS Veteran

I am also thinking something around these lines.

12. OceanStateKelly

OceanStateKelly Mouseketeer

was in AK last week having an early lunch in dinoland and a cast member that worked there said that they where going to start work or in the works Avatar land in AK and he said they want to have something that they can keep the park open late. I thought this would be interesting but I was not a big fan of that movie..

13. RD-SOX

RD-SOX Mouseketeer

popcorn:: waiting for news is so exciting....

14. MrRomance

MrRomance Planning and Plotting

My guess is this will be nothing much for the fans to get that excited about. I don't see any huge announcements in terms of new attractions coming just yet. As PP's have said, that's more likely to come at the D23 Expo.

Most likely to be some more information about MyMagic+. I think Disney have some surprises up their sleeves with this. Spring has been hinted at as the roll out and I think we'll see some "surprises" disclosed at the time they launch it. They need to have something in their arsenal to "sell" it to people.

With the Fantasyland Expansion still on-going, Avatar announced but in limbo, I'm thinking any big changes to the parks will be next year at the earliest. Personally, I think there will be some big changes at DHS and AK over the next few years.

15. lockedoutlogic

lockedoutlogic DIS Veteran

I agree...
    though i define "next few years" as 10-15

16. Horace Horsecollar

Horace Horsecollar <font color=blue>DVC members represent a unique ca

Let's assume for a minute that there really will be "some kind major press release event in late April" from the Disney Parks & Resorts business sector (although a rumor at Screamscape is not a guarantee that it's true).

The purpose of big media events is to reach the general public through free publicity in the print, broadcast, and digital media. Disney only holds such events to promote newly opened (or soon-to-open) enhancements to the parks and whatever this latest marketing message is. For example, there were big media events to promote the Year of a Million Dreams, "Give a Day, Get a Disney Day," the opening of Cars Land at DCA, and the opening of the New Fantasyland at MK.

Disney does NOT use big media events to announce future projects that won't be open to the public for several years. (The only thing that even comes close is when Disney can use a D23 Expo to share the news with super-duper Disney fans.)

For future projects, Disney simply issues press releases -- sometimes including image files, and sometimes accompanied by a live briefing (but not a big media event). Hyperion Wharf, the AVATAR deal with Cameron, and even the $1.1 billion redo of DCA did not involve big media events. As a publicly-held corporation, Disney has an obligation to disclose major capital commitments. However, there's no reason to SELL such commitments to the public until the time is right.

Why would the Disney Company want to wine and dine the news media to announce such news? Not only are media events very expensive, but the last thing that Disney wants to do is to encourage potential guests to postpone Disney vacations for several years.