And So It Begins

Batten down the hatches down there, and hang on! We don't want to lose any of you!!

Batten down the hatches down there, and hang on! We don't want to lose any of you!!

Who me? This is like #27 for me. I haven't even gone to the grocery store. DH went to Sonoco to get lotto tix and check on diesel...4.29. We will have to go and fill up the MH to top old bessy off tomorrow morning. What a PITA that is going to be.

It was funny watching the news tonight. The local news channel ran out to The Home Depot looking for all the panic-stricken people buying supplies so they could ruffle all the feathers and all they could find is this poor pathetic singleton that was buying one flashlight and one pack of batteries because he can't find his flashlight. I had to laugh.

We did lose our power today for a while because we had a really bad storm. I have learned that my battery backup for my computer is in need of replacement, again. Oh joy.

Who me? This is like #27 for me. I haven't even gone to the grocery store. DH went to Sonoco to get lotto tix and check on diesel...4.29. We will have to go and fill up the MH to top old bessy off tomorrow morning. What a PITA that is going to be.

It was funny watching the news tonight. The local news channel ran out to The Home Depot looking for all the panic-stricken people buying supplies so they could ruffle all the feathers and all they could find is this poor pathetic singleton that was buying one flashlight and one pack of batteries because he can't find his flashlight. I had to laugh.

We did lose our power today for a while because we had a really bad storm. I have learned that my battery backup for my computer is in need of replacement, again. Oh joy.

Well, you might lose your house and all your computer files, but thank the heavens you'd have your lottery ticket safe and sound!!! :thumbsup2

Well, you might lose your house and all your computer files, but thank the heavens you'd have your lottery ticket safe and sound!!! :thumbsup2

Priorities man! I lost all my computer equipment last time...29 days no power. You just gotta love FP&L. Everyone else on the street had power. I was not a priority they said.

The humidity killed all my electronic equipment...

My 1974 jukebox survived without incident I might add...made in in the USA!

We have a huge driveway if anyone needs to boondock, no elec. hookups but plenty of water hose.

I hope it doesn't get stronger before it makes land fall. Florida just doesn't need a Big Storm:mad: We could difinatly live without one!
Hope everyone stay's safe!

I think it has something to do with Presidential Elections! :rotfl:

Fortunately, I do not think it's going to be that strong of Hurricane. My kids are supposed to start school Tuesday - I bet it will be a Hurricane Day. Makes me think of the good old days when I was wishing for a snow day in Ohio.

Keep Safe. :hippie:

We have a Hurricane Watch going north from the Keys up to Bonita Beach, and a TS Watch past that. It doesn't look like it will intensify past a Category 1, so we'll probably just get a lot of rain and some wind, but nothing too bad. I'm sure schools and businesses will be closed Tuesday, and maybe Wednesday too, if the power's out.

We're going to fill the generators today, fill up the gas tanks in the car/truck, and get some cash out.

We were new to Florida when Charley hit, and we didn't know to do that stuff. After the storm, there was no power, and no gas stations were open. We couldn't go anyplace because our cars didn't have much gas, and we had no cash to buy anything, and the stores wouldn't take cards because they didn't have phone lines or power to run the card machines! And ATM machines didn't work to get cash! We learned our lesson! :laughing:

I know there have been a lot worse hurricanes than Charley in the past few years but it was my first one and the one thing I do not want to happen again is not having enough WATER!

We ran out after a couple of days and were pressed to find any anywhere. We ended up having to drive about an hour away to find any. That was scary.

But I agree with you Rhonda I don't think it's going to be that bad but I've learned my lesson too!

We just got home from topping off the gas tanks and people were already fighting. After Charlie we were w/o elec for weeks and it was awful. THAT is why I am trying to get DH to buy me a stinkin TT already!:mad: Just pack up and go. We live on the water and I am more afraid of surge than anything else. Wilma did a lot of damage to my shop on Sanibel and we never really recovered. The icing on the cake is that we are going to be stuck with hurricane makeup days that I wanted to use for vacations.

They (at school) were already threatening our vacations during preplanning because of this. Although we are going to only get the right side of it, we are filling up the MH with water and diesel (because you KNOW it is going back up now) and getting some groceries. I was going to the store anyway today. No shutters at this time...

I don't think I have ever posted on the camping boards before but I read them often. I am going to pray for all of you who are in the path. I know the drill. I live in Louisian and I usually panic every year during hurricane season. I watch the weather channel all the time. I am DIStracted this year because of disboards. It keeps my mind off of hurricanes.

Maybe I WILL put up the plywood. If we take the time to do it then nothing will happen!

:lmao: The same thing happens when I bring an umbrella someplace - it won't rain!

BTW - what shop do you have on Sanibel? I'm out there all the time, and it would be fun to stop by! (If you don't want to say on the boards, feel free to PM me!) :)

We owned 3 businesses out there. The first was Pinocchio's Homemade Ice Cream. (Yes, we made ALL the ice cream and fudge) we sold that several years ago. Across the street from that we owned Keylime Clothing Co. I had Vera Bradley, I Can Too, JamsWorld, Chamilia and great jewelry from talented artists. I just closed that in April because everyone wanted me to hold paper to buy the business, I didn't want the risk of not getting paid. (On Sanibel if thebuilding is 50% or more damaged from say a hurricane it can't be rebuilt) So, I sold it off and made more than if I solf it outright. The 3rd was I Can Too in Tathitain Gardens, It was just like Fresh Produce. When we made the deal things were great then Charlie hit. The rent was $5K a month with no tourists. We closed up after 3 years. Needless to say I HATE hurricanes. Now I am helping my DH in real estate. He is really busy so he needs the extra help. I like it and I still have lots of time for Junior League.
Will you have to leave the beach? Right now it is as perfect as it gets. My parents saw Jim Reef in Costco getting supplies!:confused3 I thought he said to prepare in June?

My parents saw Jim Reef in Costco getting supplies!:confused3 I thought he said to prepare in June?

:lmao: Yes!

We just got back from Walmart, on 41 & Gladiolus. What a zoo!!! They had all the hurricane supplies out on special displays. Most of the batteries were gone, but they had plenty of everything else.

We just put $300 of diesel in the RV. I am not happy with DH. He told me that it was on half when it was right above EMPTY. He is in the doghouse. But, I have to look at it this way...I would rather have a full tank of 4.19 then a almost empty tank and drive up to have to fill it up at 4.85 when they jack the prices after this is over. It still hurts...

Now to the grocery store...

Everytime I hear the weather report on Fay, I think of all my Dis friends. Maybe she won't strengthen. I wish everyone the best.

In Texas, we only have 2 bad weather days set in the schedule. How many do you have in Florida? It sounds like more than us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter