And a Wonderful First DCL Cruise It Was, 7/6-7/13/2015, Alaska (Completed 3/27/2016)

haha i read aloud what you wrote to my husband and he said, "at the rate you're going, you can tell her to tune in for day 6 in another five months." ;)

hmm, deciding whether to start on day 6 or watch "downton abbey"...

Last edited:

Day 6, Saturday, July 11, Ketchikan

The first line in my journal for this day reads, "up at 7, DS unhappy, wanted to sleep in." Reading this line now, more than six months after our trip, I couldn't remember exactly why we needed to be up this early. Had to check the Personal Navigators first--I'm guessing it was because we wanted to get breakfast before catching the Tinkerbell meet-and-greet at 9, followed by Chip & Dale at 9:15.

We were at Parrot Cay at 8:10 (I move at a snail's pace in the morning, apparently). DD went for the chocolate Rice Crispies again, along with the tried-and-true hard-boiled eggs, bacon, and gluten-free toast. Hopefully there was some fruit in there! Can't remember what the rest of us ate. Something yummy, I'm sure.

After pictures with Tinker Bell and the silly chipmunks, we dropped of DS at the Lab while DH and DD headed to "Big Hero 6" again. Now, you probably don't recall (unless you're reading these reports all at once), but the three of them went to that exact movie on the morning of Day 3. What I didn't report previously was that they had to leave after about an hour because DS did not like the very intense parts (where as the much younger DD would've been perfectly happy to stay). Anyway, DD wanted to finish watching the movie, so that's what they did. I, on the other hand, went to the OBB desk to check out what future cruises we should consider. I ended up paying a $250 deposit to grab a placeholder reservation for the four of us, to be used by July 2017. On my way back to the room I spotted Belle walking by Shutters, but was too slow with my camera to get a good shot:

IMG_1965.png

DH, DD returned to the stateroom around 10, then DH went off exploring the ship on his own for a bit. At 11:20 DD and I went to the lab to pick up DS before meeting DH at Triton's for lunch.

We put DD down for her nap at 1:15, then I got off the ship to hunt for souvenirs. It was another gray and gloomy day:

IMG_1967.png

There was were two stores across from the ship at the dock, so I ducked in into the first one--and found Santa!

IMG_1979.png

I took my time and picked out some Christmas ornaments, but at the checkout counter, wait, uh... Aaaaargh!!! Having lived with just my KTTW card for the past six days, I completely forgot to bring my wallet! Grrrr... I asked the clerk to hold the items for me so I could run back to the ship to get the credit cards. I hurriedly paid for the ornaments (of which, if I had my act together a few weeks ago, I would've remembered to take photos on our tree to show off here, but now they're all packed away in their boxes...), then returned to the ship because the Great Lumberjack Show was at 3:00.

We moseyed down to where the show was (a 5-minute stroll from the dock), but it took a long, long time to start. Unlike our two previous excursions, which we had booked privately, this time we paid a little extra (maybe $8/person? it wasn't outrageous at the time when I booked) to be part of the DCL-exclusive show, but in retrospect, it was a waste of money. I had paid the extra money thinking we'd see Mickey and Minnie or some other Disney character come join the show, but nope, they just let the DCL people get into the show half an hour early, and during that time they got kids to go up there to use this gigantic slingshot to shoot at a mickeyhead target. I don't know. I would not have paid that extra money had I known that was all it involved. Boohoo.

Around 3:45 the show really got started. There were 6-8 lumberjacks total, divided into two teams: Team USA vs. Team Canada. The audience was divided down the middle too. We sat on the USA side so I was happy to cheer for our American lumberjacks! GO TEAM USA!!! Here are some pictures:

IMG_2015_comp.png

They had one lumberjack dressed in a red jacket (see that guy on the right side of the log above). His stage name is the Red Bandit. Every time we saw him we were supposed to yell out for the other lumberjacks to catch him. DS took it really seriously, and screamed so loud that his face was red, LOL! We had to tell him it was just a joke, and to please stop yelling. Overall the show was cheesy fun, and the kids enjoyed it. I did too, but once in a lifetime is enough. ;)

After the show ended about an hour later, we took the kids back to the room, and I got off the ship for the fourth time because I decided I didn't like one of the matryoshka dolls I bought (felt there was a defect in one of them), so I brought it back to the store, traded it for another, then bought some postcards, along with gifts for relatives back home: glacier soap, more Christmas ornaments, knit hats, pocket knife, coffee (why did I buy this??? Alaska is not exactly known for its coffee! Oh well. Must've been desperate in that final hour, knowing that was our last port and I had to get something). I truly hate souvenir shopping for relatives with a passion, but since they always buy us stuff when they go traveling, the cycle cannot be broken...

Got back to the thip, showered, had kids do their showers, fed them, put them in the club at 6:25, then DH and I were off to Palo for our dinner at 6:30. Having read the reports on here, I was prepared that it probably wasn't going to be as good as brunch, and the DISers were proven right. I had (overcooked) prawns (not pictured), rack of lamb, risotto, and panna cotta;

IMG_2035_comp.png
IMG_2039.png
IMG_2040.png

(I can't remember what this dessert above was, but I loved the presentation, with the edible spoon and all.)

DH had osso bucco (not pictured) and the very famous chocolate soufflé:

IMG_2041.png

Overall, the Disers were right, in that the dinner wasn't as good as brunch. DH and I both felt some of the dishes were a bit too salty. But that's OK. We enjoyed our alone time, when we didn't have to answer interrupting questions about random stuff from little people, etc. And plus you can't beat the scenery around us!

At 8:20 DH picked up the kids and took them to the jugglers show, and I went to the stores to look for more souvenirs, this time for ourselves. This is my favorite from the entire trip:

IMG_2046_IMG_2260.png

It's a very cozy fleece blanket. When I curl up on the couch with it now in the evenings, it always makes me happy, bringing back great memories of our Alaskan cruise. :)

DS, DD, and DH came back to the cabin eventually, and reported that the juggler dropped stuff. DH said he wasn't entirely sure whether it was part of the act. Supposedly at one point he dropped a chair on his head. Ouch! That must've hurt, even if it was just for fun.

DH and I put the kids in bed, then once again I left him behind at 10:30 to join up with my fellow cruise mates S, T, L, E, K, and D (who all brought their hubbies; there were more from our FB group but I don't remember them all) to watch "Match Your Mate", which is like the Newlywed Game. It was hilarious, as L promised it would be! The host asked for three volunteers from the audience, who were sent off to another part of the ship to be entertained while their partners in the audience had to answer some rather personal questions. Then the three victims were brought back to see if their answers to the same questions would match with what their partners said. This being a Disney-run show, it was fairly clean for the most part, but the innuendos and the host's expressions made the whole thing sooooo much funnier. You must catch it on your next cruise, if you get a chance. I guarantee you will get a bellyache from laughing so much. ;)

The show ended at 11:30, so we moved to one of the lounges and chatted until 2:15, when I left because I just couldn't stay up any more. I still cannot believe I stayed out that late. These are people I hadn't really met in person until six days before. Even though we had chatted in FB for several months, and some of our kids had exchanged several letters before the cruise, you know, the online personality can be different. But I really had fun shooting the breeze with these ladies. They were a great group, and I felt lucky to have them on the cruise.

And this tired little piggie went to bed...

Definitely sounds like a full day, that blanket is adorable!

Sorry to hear dinner at Palo wasn't as good as brunch. I was hoping to do both brunch and dinner on our next cruise - but now maybe we'll just do brunch twice lol

Did you decide on another cruise for your placeholder (can't remember if you'd already mentioned it) or still waiting on more 2017 dates to be released?

Definitely sounds like a full day, that blanket is adorable!

it is so soft... i'm underneath it even as i type this ;)

Sorry to hear dinner at Palo wasn't as good as brunch. I was hoping to do both brunch and dinner on our next cruise - but now maybe we'll just do brunch twice lol

you should do both! that way you can judge for yourself, you know? maybe our chef had an off night...

Did you decide on another cruise for your placeholder (can't remember if you'd already mentioned it) or still waiting on more 2017 dates to be released?

when the spring 2017 itineraries were released i booked an eastern carribean
7-nighter, but there was a fiasco associated with that due to my own negligence (will write about that after i post Day 8). indirectly as a result i'm now waiting to see summer 2017 prices before finalizing exactly when/where we will go next.

Sounds like an interesting day. You sure left the ship a few times . I know the lumberjack show is not for us. Thanks for giving me that insight. We have always enjoyed our Palo dinners on the Wonder. I sorry yours was not up to par. I have never had a bad choice there, just one where I would have gone with my tried and true and not ventured into the new.

The chocolate soufflé makes everything better and I always fdy to finish with that!

Sounds like an interesting day. You sure left the ship a few times .

lol yes indeed! i am usually quite sedentary, but that day i got almost 20,000 steps!!!

We have always enjoyed our Palo dinners on the Wonder. I sorry yours was not up to par. I have never had a bad choice there, just one where I would have gone with my tried and true and not ventured into the new.

The chocolate soufflé makes everything better and I always fdy to finish with that!

:) i enjoyed my panna cotta very much, too!

I came across your TR yesterday and am looking forward to hearing about your last day at sea :) DH and I are counting down to our Alaska cruise in May (our first ever cruise) with DCL and have definitely picked up some great tips! I was sure we were going to go with DCL for our excursions but after reading yours (and a few other ones) I'm definitely going to look at the other options out there!!

I came across your TR yesterday and am looking forward to hearing about your last day at sea :) DH and I are counting down to our Alaska cruise in May (our first ever cruise) with DCL and have definitely picked up some great tips! I was sure we were going to go with DCL for our excursions but after reading yours (and a few other ones) I'm definitely going to look at the other options out there!!
I would encourage you to look at the private companies. Their reputation is dependent on getting you back to the ship on time.

I would encourage you to look at the private companies. Their reputation is dependent on getting you back to the ship on time.

totally agree. @dinglehopper79 , we were initially concerned too, but after reading various Alaska TRs here and elsewhere with private excursions, they sounded pretty straightforward for the ports we had, so we did those two in Skagway and Juneau and they worked out very well. and it was our first DCL cruise, too.

in this day and age, what with the ease of doing research on the DIS, Cruise Critic, Trip Adviser, etc., it is in the vendors' interest to get you back to the ship on time.

good luck! have a great time whichever way you go! :)

Thanks very much….and you are definitely right on that one :)

totally agree. @dinglehopper79 , we were initially concerned too, but after reading various Alaska TRs here and elsewhere with private excursions, they sounded pretty straightforward for the ports we had, so we did those two in Skagway and Juneau and they worked out very well. and it was our first DCL cruise, too.

in this day and age, what with the ease of doing research on the DIS, Cruise Critic, Trip Adviser, etc., it is in the vendors' interest to get you back to the ship on time.

good luck! have a great time whichever way you go! :)

That is true I never thought of that! It is definitely harder to hide any bad reviews with all the different sites out there!! I'm having so much fun planning this trip and have enjoyed reading TR's from first time cruisers to veterans to get the different perspectives.

In terms of booking another cruise while you were on this one - what is the time frame you have to use that deposit? Is it 2 years as you had posted you reserved on a 2017 cruise…..just curious. We haven't even stepped on the ship yet and don't know if cruising is for us but we are already thinking about it ;)

In terms of booking another cruise while you were on this one - what is the time frame you have to use that deposit? Is it 2 years as you had posted you reserved on a 2017 cruise…..just curious. We haven't even stepped on the ship yet and don't know if cruising is for us but we are already thinking about it ;)

I can't remember the exact wording, but i believe you must start your cruise within two years from the day you put down the deposit. (fellow DISers, please chime in if this is incorrect!) that's why people advise you to wait until almost the end of your current cruise to pay, just to earn a few more days.

I can't remember the exact wording, but i believe you must start your cruise within two years from the day you put down the deposit. (fellow DISers, please chime in if this is incorrect!) that's why people advise you to wait until almost the end of your current cruise to pay, just to earn a few more days.

Oh ok that is an awesome tip!! I will definitely have to remember to book it at the end of our trip ;) thanks again for all the info!

Woohoo! Have you been on a DCL cruise before or are you a newbie like me? I'd love to do a TR when I get back....it's a goal :D
I've done both the Mediterranean and Bahamas on the Magic. Loved the Med wasn't crazy about the Bahamas (I think mainly due to it being to short and the water was still cold in April) The ship was great both time. My daughter is an only child, she really enjoyed the clubs. She made friends and had fun on both cruises.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter