An Extreme Couponer's Surprise Trip to Tatooine-12/4 Bringing the Magic Back

Well I have sat here for an hour and read through your entire TR. Guess I'm enjoying it :lmao: Seriously, great report so far, Looking forward to more! ;)

Hi. Thanks for reading! I'm so glad that you're enjoying my trip so far. I will try to get another segment up soon.

Wow, you got some great close-ups of the lion and the giraffes. I couldn't get good close-ups of either, so I am jealous. And I am in total awe of your ride totals for EE and Kali. :thumbsup2 That is amazing. Great update!

Wow, you got some great close-ups of the lion and the giraffes. I couldn't get good close-ups of either, so I am jealous. And I am in total awe of your ride totals for EE and Kali. :thumbsup2 That is amazing. Great update!

Thanks! Each safari 'trip' truly is different and sometimes you get lucky. I actually saw the Cheetahs up close on this trip which was a first. Usually they say that they are in the area but I never see them.

Hi. I'm breaking into the trip report to bring you an Extreme Couponing moment.

On a day that is yet to be written on the trip report (spoiler alert), we stopped to buy frozen ice cream bars to keep us from passing out from the heat. We bought strawberry ice cream bars. We had never had them before and despite being loyal, devoted fans to Cream Cheese pretzels, Carrot cake cookies and all things chocolate, we pronounced these our new favorite treat at WDW!

I have been a bargain CVS shopper for several years. I declared that I was taking a break this summer from the mad coupon clipping and pressure to get to the store first thing in the morning. Well that leads me to yesterday - I realized that I had a whole bunch of CVS money (extra care bucks=ECBs) that expired last night. We were running low on food so I decided to spend them at CVS to get groceries.

Guess what? The new-favorite frozen fruit bars that Disney sells are in the freezer at CVS! And they are on sale! I printed a $1 off coupon for the bars before I left and coupled it with a $1 off 2 tubs of Edy's ice cream. CVS price for the boxes of bars and tubs of ice cream is 3/$10 and they will give me $3 back in ECBs for buying them. With my $2 in coupons and $3 in ECBs that I already had from a trip last month, that makes them 3/$5 plus $3 back to use next time. Pretty cheap compared to park prices!

I scanned my membership card at the store at the little coupon kiosk and I can't believe it - it printed out $4 off a $20 grocery order. I seriously did not expect that. I'm sure it's because they are having a big sale on groceries this week and maybe every CVS shopper is receiving one but for me, it felt like the store knows me and knew what I was here to buy. Thank you, store, for sensing my presence and knowing that I needed free money!

My whole order:
3 12 packs of Pepsi products - 3/$10 with $3 ecbs back
3 packages of the aforementioned Edy's products
4 Bumble Bee albacore tuna cans
6 boxes of CVS brand pasta
2 'imitation' vanilla extracts (on sale as BOGO so .99 for both)
2 Giant instant noodle bowl things for the boy in my house about to go to college
2 boxes of microwave popcorn (also for boy listed above)
2 tubes of Crest toothpaste - 1.99/each with $1 back on each - $1 coupon. Normally, I would never actually PAY for toothpaste. I always get it for free with coupons and sales but these two boxes have "$10 in coupons" listed on the box so I 'paid' .50 for each box of coupons and got the toothpaste free. ;)

I used $3 in coupons and the $4 off coupon and $31.48 in ECBs that I had from last month that were going to expire tonight anyway.

My total out of pocket $2.13. And I earned $8 back for next time. And we have delicious frozen fruit bars that we can pretend came from Disneyworld, not CVS.

Ok. Enough about my coupons. I'll be returning you to the trip on the next update.

I just found your trip report and find it an amazing read! Great job at keeping us hooked! I can't wait to read another installment!!

We completed 10 hours of park touring at Animal Kingdom but we didn't have time for dinner. It's only 7 o'clock and way too early to call it a night so we decide to head to Magic Kingdom for dinner. We had our hearts set on Peco's Bills Pork BBQ sandwiches last Friday night but if you recall, we arrived after they had closed for the night and had to settle for 6 pound ice cream sundaes at Mrs. Potts. To our delight, a Wilderness Lodge/Contemporary Bus was sitting waiting for passengers. We hopped on that thinking that it would stop at CR first (since those are the more expensive rooms and would get better service, right?). Nope. First stop, Wilderness Lodge. That's ok. I've stayed there before so we are easily able to blaze a trail thru the Wilderness (ahem, Lodge).

DSCN3953.jpg

We breezed right thru the Lodge with only a brief stop at the pin trading kiosk. This is Nick's first trip with pins. I gave both Alex and Nick 3 pins at the beginning of the trip. Alex was apathetic to the pin trading game and immediately gave his pins to Nick. So far, Nick has made 1 trade and doesn't seem to be able to find any others that catch his fancy. Not because I bought him limited edition/one of a kind pins or anything either. I bought 1 random assortment from ebay and he seems to be very fond of those. :confused:

On the boat ride over to the park, it's obvious that Alex is pondering something. I ask him what he's thinking about and he starts explaining a concept to me about time travel or light speed or well, I'm not exactly sure. I guess his mind is still in Naboo.

If you are a scientist or a Star Wars junkie, you might understand this and if so, could you explain it to me? Otherwise, enjoy the sounds of arriving at MK on the WL boat. It Makes Sense to Alex Videoclip

We succeeded in obtaining dinner and a table on the patio at Peco's Bills. We called DH during dinner to let him know how our day had been today and then went to Haunted Mansion to play in the new queue.

DSCN3972.jpg

After HM, we headed back to Pop for the evening.

We just have to stop off at the front desk to get our keys reprinted. Look familiar?
DSCN3977.jpg

Even though it's not even 9 p.m., he's sleeping. Poor baby. More than likely, his body remembers napping here at 2:30 in the morning last time and assumed he should conserve resources just in case 1. this takes all night and/or 2. we have to make a series of repeat visits for keys that won't work. Good news - It didn't take long this time AND these keys worked on the first try!

We have not used the Pop swimming pool on this trip so I suggested a night swim (no 'illegal' pool hopping for us today!). The boys changed into swimsuits and I dropped them off at the pool on my way to the food court. They were splashing in the flower fountain area of the main pool when I returned with their bedtime hot chocolates. To be sure and save me any grief, I 'tested' the ability to charge goods and services on these new keys and bought a nice little adult beverage to enjoy while they swam. I gave them a time limit of 30 minutes which would be around 10 p.m. Coincidentally, this is the approximate time 1. it takes me to nurse one beer and 2. the lifeguards go off duty.

Tomorrow is Nick's birthday and he turns the big 1-2! I wanted to make sure that we used our early evening to get rested. He has high expectations and is counting on me to make this one surpass his experiences from his last birthday at Disney!

The swim and the tall cool one did the trick. We were all very relaxed when we went to the room and fell asleep immediately.

Does Nick's 12th birthday turn into Nick's best day ever? That's for next time!

I just found your trip report and find it an amazing read! Great job at keeping us hooked! I can't wait to read another installment!!

Wow and thanks! I'm glad that you are enjoying the report! I see that this is your first post on the Disboards! Welcome!!! :cheer2:

Whew, I'm all caught up. Love the trip report and of course you left me hanging to see if Nick's birthday was the best ever. :rotfl: How can you not have a wonderful birthday if you are at the happiest place on earth? A belated Happy Birthday to you Nick.:bday:

Whew, I'm all caught up. Love the trip report and of course you left me hanging to see if Nick's birthday was the best ever. :rotfl: How can you not have a wonderful birthday if you are at the happiest place on earth? A belated Happy Birthday to you Nick.:bday:

Sorry. I did kind of leave everyone hanging! I'm finally back to writing and I'll post a new installment in just a few minutes. :)

Happy Birthday to You
Happy Birthday to You
Happy Birthday, dear Nicholas
Happy Birthday to You

Today is Nicholas's 12th birthday! I have a whole itinerary planned that I shared loosely with him. Here is his schedule:
8 a.m. - extra magic hours at Studios
10:30 - birthday party breakfast at Cape May
A Brief Nap
Magic Kingdom - 3ish to get a FP then
5:30 - 'OHana for dinner then
MK - after dinner til midnight

You'll notice that I have Nap listed on his birthday. I felt guilty about scheduling that (of course I would) but I thought there's no way he's going to make it from 8am until midnight without some kind of rest. I don't think I really shared that part when I gave him a brief overview of what I had planned for him. I assumed that I could skillfully weave that into our day and he would agree to it somehow.

The Cape May breakfast reservation is a ressie for my DSis and her birthday girl and another one for Nick. DSis and I could not book a reservation for seven people at Cape May at all. She had a reservation for 5 at 10:20 and I told her that I had booked a reservation for 2 at 10:30. It was actually for three but I hadn't told her that because she would have figured out that I was bringing a plus 2 instead of a plus 1 on the trip. The 'Ohana reservation is an ADR for 7. DSis booked it and she was so pleased with herself when she snagged a ressie for 7 people at 'Ohana a few weeks ago. I couldn't tell her then that we really needed it for 8 but I assumed it would be ok because most tables that seat 7 will also seat 8.

Before the trip, I purchased a giant Happy Birthday banner and decorations that I wanted to set up around the room. I actually cried a bit in the store when I was selecting the decorations because I could envision Nick waking up on his birthday at Disney so happy to see the room decorated for his special day. I also cry reading greeting cards in the store too so I guess I'm a little sentimental. Or unstable. Let's go with sentimental.

I didn't buy him a big present - just a teddy bear that I found in the candy shop on clearance during my Ocean City girls weekend. I'm pretty confident that getting surprised with an all-expenses-paid trip to Disney for your birthday is quite enough for a person of any age so no guilt over just one little present (she types out so all will read and believe her but secretly she doubts that this is true and why didn't she buy the new Legos Star Wars game for his DS and get him a $100 Disney Gift card so that he could buy himself a very nice gift also?).

Nick is a gatherer of bears and all things plush. It is to his advantage that his DSis is putting herself through college as a manager at a 'local-retail-establishment-that-lets-you-make-a-new-best-friend." I'm not listing them by name because that expensive make-your-own bear store isn't a sponsor of this trip report.

I brought a plain white t-shirt and some fabric paint to make a Happy Birthday t-shirt for Nick. As I’m standing in the tiny Po' Century bathroom at 6 a.m. reading the directions on the paint, I realize that the shirt has to sit for a few hours before he can wear it. We have to be at a bus stop in an hour so no Birthday t-shirt.

I also waited until the last minute to assemble the gift bags for the party. I bought Minnie Mouse treat bags and filled them with kiddie sunglasses, a sheet of Star Wars stickers, and a Minnie Mouse blowout for each person. I brought party hats but they are buried in luggage somewhere and I can’t find them. I also brought mini tubes of bubbles as well as Cars and Winnie the Pooh crayons for the bags but I can’t find them either. The bags would have been spectacular if I’d been more organized and had everything ready to go the night before but I had shrugged off that responsibility last night in favor of sleep.

We brought a present for Zoe too. Her Aunt Lala is dying to buy her Barbies and Coach purses and girly things but she's only 2 so she's not quite ready for the good stuff. Last year, my family made fleece blankets to donate to a local pediatric ward as part of Disney's Give a Day promotion. I am the least 'crafts-y' person ever so it was astounding that I was able to make 6 blankets with DH and the boys that were donate-able. I had to watch the how-to video a few times on Youtube until I understood you know, how-to do it.

And now finally today is their big day. I woke up and began quietly opening the Happy Birthday banner and setting out Nick's present and other decorations. I kissed him on the cheek and woke him up and told him Happy Birthday!

He loved the decorations and laughed at how big the banner was. I couldn’t find the tape that I had packed so I draped it over the chairs and table and across the top of the TV center. He opened his present and picked out his outfit. I thought it was cute that he picked out Yoda's "Judge me by my size" t-shirt to wear on his birthday. We piled on the lanyards and the birthday buttons and headed to Studios. We also had to bring Zoe's gift and the gift bags for the breakfast. Weeks ago, I had suggested buying a Sponge Bob piñata for the party but DSis had vetoed that. I just wanted this to be the very bestest birthday ever and for him to be full of joy even if I had to drag a Sponge Bob piñata all over Disney World.

Next Up: Birthday Party Breakfast!

I think a surprise trip to WDW is the perfect present. It is a little hard to choose which special extra to do-- a character breakfast, fancy meal or gifts? We to Matthew for his birthday when they were giving away those big gift cards for birthdays two years ago. Boy, I wish they would do that again!

The famous birthday button was really used this year. Other guests were saying "Happy Birthday" to each other more than I have ever noticed before. We also saw several birthday Wishes cruises go out with streamers from the Grand Floridian. People were really celebrating this trip.

P.S. When you make a blanket using Disney printed fleece like the OP did, it looks so awesome! Kids will even want to cling to it in June.

I'm very impressed by the couponing. I so want to do this, but I still haven't quite got the hang of it. I will have to look for those Disney fruit bars, but there is no CVS nearby.

It looks like Nick's bday surprise is off to a good start.

I think a surprise trip to WDW is the perfect present. It is a little hard to choose which special extra to do-- a character breakfast, fancy meal or gifts? We to Matthew for his birthday when they were giving away those big gift cards for birthdays two years ago. Boy, I wish they would do that again!

The famous birthday button was really used this year. Other guests were saying "Happy Birthday" to each other more than I have ever noticed before. We also saw several birthday Wishes cruises go out with streamers from the Grand Floridian. People were really celebrating this trip.

P.S. When you make a blanket using Disney printed fleece like the OP did, it looks so awesome! Kids will even want to cling to it in June.

How is Miss Zoe doing? Maybe you could take a pic of the blanket and post it since I didn't get one when we were together?

I'm very impressed by the couponing. I so want to do this, but I still haven't quite got the hang of it. I will have to look for those Disney fruit bars, but there is no CVS nearby.

It looks like Nick's bday surprise is off to a good start.

The couponing is something that really takes a big committment of time. I used to spend every Saturday getting my lists together and matching the coupons to the sneak preview of Sunday's sale flyer. I'm taking a break because I'm a bit burned out. I'm waiting for the older kids to clean out my stockpiles when they leave for college so that I have space for more stuff when I start up again in the fall.

We arrive at the bus stop for Hollywood Studios and it is pretty full which is surprising at this hour (around 7:45). We waited a few minutes and then this bus arrives and parks at our stop.

IMG_0290.jpg

Mears bus

We were in the ’World’ during Easter Week 2010 when DD was doing her College Program and these buses were running to supplement Disney transportation. We’d never ever seen them being used before that trip and we associated Disney utilizing Mears buses with crowds. Seeing a Mears bus pulling up this morning makes me wonder if this is an indicator of how busy the rest of the trip will be?

We end up being stopped just as we are the next family to board. There’s only 1 seat left and the driver won’t let anyone stand on the bus. Really? No place for the birthday boy? We are literally shut out as the bus driver closes the door and drives away without another word.

We eventually did get another bus and got to Studios after 8. Security didn’t stop us from bringing in the birthday bags and Pia’s blanket. Fortunately, the BPFH (back pack from well you remember) has the capacity for all of our party goods so we don’t look to conspicuous walking thru the park.

As is our usual protocol, we hit Mania for a FP and then a ride via standby. The boys then want a ride on Star Tours which we did. Alex says I hope we go to Tatooine this time. That’s one of the places that he wants to go on the new ride but hasn’t had it in the random scene selections and it didn’t happen again today. Shut out of Mears and Tatooine.

It’s soon time to get to the birthday breakfast. We arrived at Beach Club 15 minutes early and Dsis and family have already checked in and the kids are in the kiddie section of the lobby watching TV.
DSCN3993.jpg

Although the kids are on their best behavior this morning, it seems as if it’s taking a long time for our beeper to go off. I notice DBIL is a bit antsy, as he wonders out loud about why it’s taking so long. Dsis goes to the podium to find out the status of our table and comes back with bad news. Unfortunately, they have given our table away. Good thing she stopped to ask! We are given reassurance that now we are the very next table. The beeper goes off, we round up the troops, and head off into Cape May (a first for my family).

They are planning to sit us at two separate tables, close but too far away. Our hostess heads off to see if there are any tables that are closer together, leaving all eight of us standing in the middle of the restaurant staring at the other guests eating their breakfast.

Okay okay. Enough whining. They locate two tables side by side, by the buffet (who was sitting here 2 minutes ago when our buzzer went off?). Everyone hits the buffet for food and then it’s time for visits with the characters.
DSCN4013.jpg

DSCN4014.jpg

IMG_0295.jpg

DSCN4012.jpg

IMG_0306.jpg

It was a very nice breakfast, in spite of the rocky start, and our server ended up going above and beyond to be nice to the birthday kids. Goofy and the restaurant patrons sang happy birthday, and each birthday child received a chocolate birthday cupcake with a candle. What a great way to celebrate a birthday!!
IMG_0299.jpg

We were still eating and partying when they were starting to close up for the morning. Our server had extra birthday cupcakes in the back, and brought them out to share with the rest of the boys. Everyone liked their gift bags, and loved the sunglasses.
IMG_0292.jpg

We managed to leave before they kicked us out.
IMG_0312.jpg

Dsis had moved to Yacht Club that morning so she went back to her room; Alex, Nick, and I went back to DHS to use our Fps for TSM.
IMG_0315.jpg

Here we are sitting on the dock of the bay waiting for the boat to come our way.

We had fun finishing off our morning at Studios. Can you believe that I am THE next American Idol! IF you had ever had the chance to hear me sing, you definitely wouldn’t believe it.
DSCN3982.jpg

I LOVE these guys. Their skit with the cat food is so hilarious.
DSCN4030.jpg

DSCN4029.jpg

It’s at this point that I tell Nick that I think it would be a good idea to go back to the room to lay down. They don’t have to sleep but we need to get out of the heat and relax so that we can party the night away at Magic Kingdom. That’s what you really want to do tonight right? He agrees and we take the quick bus back to Po Century.

We made a quick mug run when we got back to the hotel and it was so stinkin’ hot that we stood in the food court filling the mugs and guzzling down lemonade, green tea and Powerade. The heat coupled with all-you-can-swallow fountain drinks brought on this slovenly behavior. I think three or four refills later and we were satiated enough to go back to the room (with an extra mugful) to get some rest.

There is no free WIFI at Po’ but I pull out my laptop to work on organizing pictures. 6 days into the trip and I’ve managed to completely fill a 4 MG camera card. That’s what I get for riding the safari multiple times yesterday! 7,000 pictures of rare nocturnal animals and giraffes that keep changing direction. I spend naptime pulling off precious bird pictures and sorting them on the laptop while the boys…get this…. Are Sound ASLEEP. Yep. Out like a light.

Now please reference this thread where I asked for advice on whether or not a 12 year old was too old for napping. As you can see, I wasn't sold on the nap idea. Does a 12 year old take a Nap?

The definitive answer that I can deliver to you now is “If you are at the parks, they won’t sleep. If you take them out of the 100 degree heat and put them in a comfy, air conditioned room, YES! They will sleep." They will sleep so well, in fact, that you will have to awaken them 3 hours later and say “We Really have to get up and get going guys!”

Next Up - 'Ohana with Real Cousins

Sounds like a great morning at DHS. :) Looks like your family enjoyed a nice birthday breakfast, in spite of the delays in getting a table.

My family really enjoyed our mid day naps back in June. At least the adults did. ;) Glad to hear your boys took advantage of their break time.

Nap time is over and we really need to get moving. As good as it feels to get off of my feet, I don’t want Nick to miss any more of his birthday. Should I feel guilty that these boys are so tired that they would rather sleep for hours than get up and go have fun? Nah! It means that I’m doing my job by giving them a phenomenal trip!

On our way to the busses, we got to see a little of the pool party under way. This looked like a fun job to have! When they aren't guarding lives, they get to judge Big Wheel races!
DSCN4032.jpg

This is the time that we got on the bus to go to Magic Kingdom for part 2 of Nick’s birthday.
DSCN4047.jpg

As soon as we got to MK, we scurried over to Buzz Lightyear to get passes for later. My little nephew Corey tells his mommy all the time (when we're not at WDW) that he wants to go back to Magic Kingdom and ride Buzz Lightyear with Aunt Lala. They already had their FPasses so tonight, we get to ride it together! YAY! I’m so excited for that!

I wanted some birthday pictures in front of the castle and I got this one on our way back out to head over to ‘Ohana for dinner.
DSCN4064.jpg

I also snapped a picture of this lovely lady. We wondered why on Earth she would wear that to a theme park. She was certainly getting a LOT of attention from passers-by.
DSCN4050.jpg

On to ‘OHana to meet up with their cousins. We got to see the flag retreat while we made ours to the exit.
DSCN4079.jpg

Let’s take the boat! It’s such a pretty ride. We get to the boat and it’s just finished loading and is full. Unsure how long it takes to get another one, I steer the boys to the resort monorail. We waited for a looong time for the next train and waited and waited. Some women pushed in to stand realllly close beside me and the boys and started going on and on about how long it takes to get places ‘here.’ They should really tell you that it takes forever! And on and on. They were headed to the Luau and were late. Yeah, we’re late too. Actually, we aren’t late yet. DSis was really early and texts me that they are at the restaurant already at about 5:10 for our 5:30 reservation. Great.

Finally, when it appeared that no train was ever going to come our way and the crowds had grown HUGE, I bailed and went BACK to the boat dock. My new BFF whiny ladies actually said “GOOD!” when we left the line. Seriously? Like me and the 2 tiny hiney boys were impeding on your chances of getting on the monorail. We were just standing here waiting (and seriously not saying ANYTHING) while listening to you b*&^%@ing for 10 minutes and you’re glad that I’M leaving? Wow.

We got another text from DSis while we were on the boat that they went ahead and got seated without us. Hey! Didn’t Stitch say that ‘Ohana means no one gets left behind? LOL. It’s 5:25 and we’re on a slow boat to Polynesia but we will be there as soon as we can.

We stop at the GF and as we’re about to pull away, two teenage girls, yell “WAIT!”and come running all the way down the boat ramp. The captain anchors us back to the dock and allows them to board. Come ON!!!!!

We putter on over to the Polynesian and we wind our way into the restaurant as fast as we can walk. I don’t ask anyone at the podium where we are sitting. We blow into the restaurant and find DSis and family already eating at a big table in the back corner. Hmph. Now her kids are a lot less patient in restaurants than mine uh, because they are 10 years younger so we know that we are going to have to speed thru this meal to avoid flying lo mien. We wolfed down the leftover salad and bread and noodles and pot stickers right as it was time for the limbo and the meat and shrimp portion of the evening.

DSCN4084.jpg

This is really not a fun meal to eat that fast!! Not being a big fan of meat in general, I would have liked to have had more time to enjoy the veggies and bread. By the time dessert came around, her kiddos were really getting antsy and we knew we were done. I captured some yummy pics of the dessert and DSis using the camera’s ‘Food’ setting.

DSCN4104.jpg

DSCN4107.jpg

DSCN4106.jpg

DSis and family bought Nick two very nice pins for his birthday present. Nick also got to make a wish on a cupcake at this restaurant and I took some photos for his Daddy who was missing his birthday. :sad1:
DSCN4112.jpg

Well rested and refueled, the whole group hit Magic Kingdom. First stop Buzz Lightyear fast pass line with just a few minutes wait. We spent enough time in line for Corey to decide that he would rather ride it with Alex than me. He’s 4. I forgive him for ditching me.

Alex really enjoyed Buzz tonight.
DSCN4126.jpg

We watched the Laugh Floor together and then found a spot close to the castle to get a good view of the Castle preshow. I haven’t seen this yet and DSis is just gushing about how great it is and I’m thinking “Ok, crazy girl. It can’t be thaaaat good.” Well, I was blown away. It was a super fun awesome new thing and I loved it. Weird though. My boys didn’t really seem as excited by it. Maybe it’s a greeting card and birthday kind of sentimental thing?

Here they are waiting for Wishes.
DSCN4136.jpg

DSCN4144.jpg

After Wishes, DSis and family went back to the Yacht Club and we headed for Splash Mountain. There was no line at all and the boys rode it while I sat out and called DD to tell her all about Nick’s birthday.

DSCN4148.jpg

They rode BTMR, we did Buzz again and we watched Philharmagic before heading to the exits for the evening. I had wanted to ride IASW but 1. the line was 10 minutes and 2. I was afraid that the slow moving boat ride might induce sleep at this point – remember I didn’t nap while everyone else did – so we skipped it.

Here is a picture of the birthday boy after his very long, very awesome birthday.
DSCN4152.jpg

And here is a picture on the bus before we pulled away from Magic Kingdom.
DSCN4153.jpg

Back at the hotel and I wanted just one more picture. The boys were thrilled.
DSCN4157.jpg

DSCN4159.jpg

DSCN4154.jpg

Tomorrow, is going to be an exciting day! It’s our scheduled day off from the parks, moving day to the Dolphin and Aunt Lala’s big night to babysit all the kids! Can’t wait!

We had agreed to wake up when we wanted and get moving how we wanted before we head over to the Dolphin to check in. We woke up around 8ish and had to pack everything! Since we were here for 6 nights, I had unloaded most everything and stuffed it in the drawers and the shelves so we had a lot of repacking to do. Oh and you’ve got to love folding dirty clothes and underwear. There’s nothing better than that. Ick. We have to fold it because it’s not fitting back into the suitcases in the big heap that it is right now.

Pop has no true luggage services so we drag everything that we wish to transfer to the Dolphin down to the lobby (Ugh. Stupid lobby. I don’t want to be here again after everything that’s happened this trip) and make a left turn and out to the back corner where the suitcase mix and mingle is. We have no problems dropping them off with a request to transfer to the Dolphin. We stop in the Food Court for breakfast and then to the room to gather the rest of the belongings that we didn’t check (like the camera, the laptop, the BPFH, light sabers, etc.). One last trip to Everything Pop for free drinks and then we are off to the Dolphin.

Transferring to the Dolphin is a painless process. A quick bus trip to Studios and then a boat ride from Studios to the Dolphin and then we are there. Drinking in the beautiful lobby. Smelling that Dolphin smell - not a stinky, fishy Dolphin smell but a delicious, spiffy hotel smell.

I approach the desk and give him my best Disney smile and tell him we are checking in. In the course of doing business, I ask if there are any Epcot balcony rooms available. There are but he offers the upgrade to me for $20 a night. Hmmm. I look at the boys and they look at me and they don’t seem to care so I pass. We’ll just take a really awesome room in the category that I booked. Thanks.

Has anyone ever seen the Chevy Chase movie "Vegas Vacation"? You know the scene where they are checking into the Mirage? 'Now to get to your room, go thru the Casino. Veer to the left. Make a right at the first giant palm tree. You’ll see a bank of elevators. Those aren’t your elevators. Go down a set of escalators'…..Well that’s how it felt for a second and the movie popped into my head when he explained how to the get to the room. For some reason, whenever people explain directions to me, my brain dissolves and I zone out. I even do it in the drive thru at McDs. As soon as they tell me how much I owe, they tell me 'First Window' or 'Second Window' and I NEVER hear them. I'll be lingering at the first window wondering if this is right or not seeing anyone at window 1, I blow passed it only to be waved back. Clearly following directions is not a strength of mine.

No matter. We were here and instantly, we were feeling good. We pass the giant palm tree and a bank of elevator and go down the escalators. Just kidding. We head to the West Wing, 7th Floor.

We walked in to the room and dropped the belongings that we had carried from Pop.
DSCN4163.jpg

DSCN4162.jpg

Ah! Real, free Starbucks!

We were so anxious to see if we had a good view. Some of the balconies are rather low and face nothing much. I had pointed those out to the boys when we were riding in on the boat with a disclaimer that we don’t know which one we would get other than a room with a balcony. We already knew that we didn’t have a view of Illuminations. So we could have a inner facing 'resort' view room of nothing other than our neighbors on the other side.

We ran to the window like it was a pile of presents on Christmas morning. I pulled open the heavier curtain. As if the Disney Gods are toying with me, the faster that I try to pull back the lighter exterior curtain, the more difficult it is to get passed it. I am struggling to get the door unlocked with one hand and escape the room while holding my camera ready for pictures while standing ready to elbow the small children so that I'm first on the balcony. :)

Finally, after a few tense seconds of anticipation overload, the Freak Out.

Am I alone in saying that this is one of the most succulent parts of any Disney vacation . The anticipation of the resort experience begins when you start selecting this trip’s resort and culminates with cracking the door open the first time to see if you were on the good side of Mickey’s room selection team. There's always that hope that you received THE room. You know, the one that they could have used in the marketing materials that entices you to want to book a stay at that resort?

Let’s see. Where did we leave off? Oh yeah. Head ducked under the curtain, eyes eagerly locked on the horizon just beyond the balcony, ready to lay eyes on what our view will be for the next 3 nights. I stepped out on to the balcony first, followed right behind by Alex and Nick.

We all gasped and shouted at the same time….This is our view?!

DSCN4431.jpg

DSCN4432.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

We freaked out! We start shouting and pointing. There’s the Tower of Tower. Oh there’s the grotto pool! Look it’s Everest and the Tree of Life!! Are you kidding me?

This is the very best that we could have hoped for.

IMG_0328.jpg

We could barely contain our excitement as we change into our swimsuits. We cannot wait to get ourselves into that Grotto pool. There were about 10 people at the pool. Ok. That’s an exaggeration. 5 people. It was not a problem AT ALL to secure my favorite spot at the pool and snagged three lounge chairs behind the waterfall.

The boys ran off to play on the slide and I quickly pull out some magazines and commence relaxing. ;) A few pages into my first trash mag and I’m interrupted by a very cute pool boy wanting to know if I would like to order anything from the bar. Oh but of course. Intending to get lunch at the poolside restaurant today, this actually works brilliantly. I order burgers and chicken fingers, iced waters and a pina colada. After all, it is five o'clock somewhere.

Today’s face book status photo -

IMG_0334.jpg

Well, this was the way we spent the day until it was time to get ready to head over to Yacht Club for babysitting duty. While the boys swam, I plotted how we could squeeze more time out of our schedule to repeat this afternoon again. The change to the Dolphin felt spectacular and I want more time here to really relax.

IMG_0332.jpg

Come back to find out what plan I cook up and how a veteran Mom of 4 handles her night with the little guys.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter