An end to pool hopping for DVC

As someone noted, the main "pool hoppers" seem to be from OKW--as I am. I've never heard of anyone hopping *TO* OKW..but then, who would admit to doing that anyway??!!
The main pool at OKW is basically a large bathtub---theme-less, no slide, no life guards. Add a slide, some guards, maybe an outdoor bar/ snack area (right near the pool) and I'd probably swim there and not pool hop. Hopping does require some extra time and preparation, but I always pool hop because the pool at OKW is so pathetic. If that pool could somehow be improved (and I know it won't be, so don't bother reminding me of that fact) pool hopping would probably be only an occasional practice and all would be well.

LOL - I must be a weirdo then (which will surprise exactly no one!), because I really liked the OKW pool! I thought it was pretty, without being overly cluttered with plastic monstrosities! ;) And as long as the bar is within short walking distance (I think the Gurgling Suitcase was about 20 steps from the pool), I'm happy with the "amenities!" :cool:

It does not matter how many members there are. They are not all on property at the same time.
What is the rationale?????????

DemoBri1:
This means that any pool tied to a DVC resort is actually your pool.
No! That does not go far enough!! EVERY pool within the WDW complex is YOUR pool!! The Poly, the Contemporary, the Floridian, etc. It does NOT need to be tied to a DVC resort!! That was the beauty of the concept. You were an owner of ALL of WDW. If there were transportation restriction placed on a certain resort, you were able to use it anyway. Why? Simple! You were an owner!! If you decided that dinner was going to be at the Poly that evening, bring the kid’s swimming suits along! Why? Cause you were an owner!!! Parking restrictions did not apply to you!! Why? You were an owner!! You “owned” a piece of the magic!! And that piece was NOT restricted to DVC resorts only! It encompassed the entire “world”!

That was the complete concept back when I bought in. It was simple and it was grand! Once again Disney exceeded expectations!! DVC members “owned” WDW. And because I still had my blinders firmly in place, I believed that this concept would not change! Disney had NEVER let me down in the past! When they made a commitment is was good for life! When they said that tickets were good for life, even if bought twenty years ago, they were good for life!!! And when the concept changed and they did away with tickets, they still honored their commitment and redeemed a pro-rated value on very old tickets! I remember back in the mid-eighties, I discovered a ‘gate’ ticket on one of the old ticket books I had. They were doing passports or hoppers at the time, I don’t remember which. Anyway, I brought it to City Hall and received an $8.00 discount on a three-day hopper (passport), and that was face value!! Disney’s word was GOLDEN!!

And when they started to hype the Vacation Club, I had no reason in the world not to believe their pitch! Ah! The naïve world of the LandBaron just ten short years ago!!

As strange as it sounds I’m going to endorse a Mr. Kidds post!! He summed it up nicely:
Why would it {be a perk for DVC members}? For no other reason than Disney simply decided to make it part of the concept - the World as your oyster, to experience and enjoy as you please, without boundaries.
Where did that concept go? Where did that Disney go?

Now! As long as I’ve fairly satisfied the pertinent question of the thread (at least in my mind), it’s time to take up some unfinished business with my friend Mr. Kidds, for which I have two answers. And I really don’t know which one to use, so I’ll do both! (I added the bold in the below quote)
A rather nice concept that people appreciated. Yes, most people do love the resorts they buy into, but Disney used to be in the habit of giving people even more to enjoy than others generally would.
Kind of sad they don’t do that anymore even when it comes to the moderate resorts, isn’t it? :(

or

Nuff said!! ;)

Free tickets!!
Let's be fair here, Landbaron...
Free tickets were never a Disney perq. They were a developer perq and everyone knew that they were going away in 1999.
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A rather nice concept that people appreciated. Yes, most people do love the resorts they buy into, but Disney used to be in the habit of giving people even more to enjoy than others generally would.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kind of sad they don’t do that anymore even when it comes to the moderate resorts, isn’t it?
I'll probably be dismissed as one who doesn't know what it was like in the good ol' days, but IMO they still offer more than I could get elsewhere. If they didn't, I'd go elsewhere...

:D

Free tickets were never a Disney perq. They were a developer perq and everyone knew that they were going away in 1999.
Sure was!! But it was part of the 1992 package. So let's be fair all the way around. Free tickets are free tickets! And I certainly didn't care (and at the time didn't really know) where they came from. And for my family it was thousands of dollars worth of perqs! And you're right, everyone knew that they would run out. But they certainly intimated, rather overtly, that subsequent perks would replace the tickets!!

Again! Stupid, naive LandBaron!! I didn't realize at the time that Disney had so drastically changed in philosophy and tactics!

Originally posted by HorizonsFan

I'll probably be dismissed as one who doesn't know what it was like in the good ol' days, but IMO they still offer more than I could get elsewhere. If they didn't, I'd go elsewhere...

Yes of couse that is why we all still love and enjoy going to Disney ...it keeps coming back to the same thing though....Some of us are alarmed at the rate that those "Good things" are disappearing at and those "things" are not beng replaced with equal or better "things" at the same rate. (wow that is a mouthfull hope you understood what I was saying).

I think of it like this. Lets say you go to a local buger joint that has really great food. One day the place stops serving the "good" fries. "That's ok" you say "everything else is still great". The next time you go back they stop serving really good drinks...again you think.."everything else is still good". Then the next time you go back something else is missing or bad..and then the next time....one day you wake up and you're buger joint has sold out to McDonalds's and you have the crappiest hamburger of you life !!!

So when you you start to get worried? We are worried NOW !!

There have been subsequent perqs. They just weren't as much as you expected.
Now, I don't want to be a jerk about it, but can you think of ANYTHING they have offered that comes even remotely close to resembling the 'tickets' in either value or style? Please! I’m dead serious here!!! I really want to know, cause I can't think of a single solitary one!! And I bet you couldn't name one either. At least with a straight face, that is!!

you guys are buggin' me :)

There is no such thing as a "perq." It's a

PERK

however it is short for "perquisite" - a privilege, gain, or profit incidental to regular salary or wages;

This post has been brought to you today, by the letters "K" and "Q"

:jester: :bounce: :jester: :bounce: :jester:

Now, I don't want to be a jerk about it, but can you think of ANYTHING they have offered that comes even remotely close to resembling the 'tickets' in either value or style? Please! I’m dead serious here!!! I really want to know, cause I can't think of a single solitary one!! And I bet you couldn't name one either. At least with a straight face, that is!!
If Disney had offered this perq to begin with, and intimated that they would replace it with something of equal value I would expect that. They didn't offer this perq. They have no obligation to replace it with something of equal value. There have been perqs added over the years. Perqs that Disney pays for. Do they equal the value of length of stay passes? Of course not. But did you really expect Disney to give you something that expensive every time you visit?
I know you placed your expectations of Disney very highly, and with good reason. They delivered over the years for you and your family. I know that you're disappointed in the direction the company has taken during the Eisner years. But, and I ask this with the utmost respect for you, is it possible that your expectations were too high and your view of the company pre-Eisner somewhat unrealistic?

then how come it doesn't show up in the dictionary? :) Are you trying to start a new trend?

Hmmmmm...
I guess I'll have to start looking up slang words from now on. You are correct, it doesn't show up in Webster's. But they've been wrong before...
Are there any other words whose abbreviations contain letters not found in the complete word?
Silly language...

Originally posted by HorizonsFan
... which makes the abbreviation "perq" perfectly acceptable.

Only if you spell it perqu beause my english teachers many many years ago told me the Q was ALWAYS followed by a U ;)

But I do agree...the correct spelling would be Perk.

hopemax...

Dictionaries are a lot like Disney in that they look around and see what people are doing, then change their definitions based on that. The dictionaries are a lot slower and more careful than Disney in implementing, is all.

The old saw "Ain't ain't in the dictionary" no longer applies, for many dictionaries.

"Insure" and "ensure" were not always synonyms. But because "insure" was so commonly misused in place of "ensure," it is now considered in many dictionaries to be a synonym (I half expect "ensure" to disappear completely, at some point. Sad, too, it really was a useful distinction).

That doesn't mean you're going to catch me saying "insure" when I mean "ensure." I will not dumb down, even if the dictionaries will.

I consider that one of the perqs of developing a superlative vocabulary.

-WFH

PS: Before everyone runs and types "snob" into thesaurus.com for use while crafting responses, this is a one way street: although using words properly in the face of dictionaries institutionalizing vulgarities is a sign one has put effort into a vocabulary, using the words as they appear in the dictionary is certainly not a sign one has neglected their vocabularly. I posted to defend my use of "perq" is this context, absolutely not to suggest anyone is wrong for using "perk" in this context.

Yes of couse that is why we all still love and enjoy going to Disney ...it keeps coming back to the same thing though....Some of us are alarmed at the rate that those "Good things" are disappearing at and those "things" are not beng replaced with equal or better "things" at the same rate. (wow that is a mouthfull hope you understood what I was saying).

My words being defended by the 3ers. My words indicative of that 'us' and 'we'. What is this world coming to? or should I say what is this World coming to? Mind you, I haven't moved to car 3. Car 2, well, yeah, under the WFH definition. WDW is still a Magical place. The Magic is as strong as ever. However, the strength of that Magic is largely dependant on things that were put in place years ago, rather than on things that the company is doing today. Disney still does give you more than others, and in a much different way. That is why we all love it. However, recent decisions are questionable at best, and mostly serve to decrease value, rather than increase Magic. That doesn't detract from that foundation we went round and round about some time ago, that Magic that was created in the past (and the Magical additions of the recent past - there have been some, maybe not many, but some). All is not lost. Things are happening. Questions are being asked. People will be held accountable. It is unfortunate how long that is taking, and will still take.

Now for you, Baron........... (and you really want to go back here?)

Kind of sad they don’t do that anymore even when it comes to the moderate resorts, isn’t it?

Sorry, doesn't apply to the moderate resorts :p. First of all, lets consider the out of context bold of Disney used to be in the habit of giving people even more to enjoy. They sure as heck give you plenty to enjoy at the moderates. As much as there is to enjoy at the deluxe. It may be different stuff that there is to enjoy - a different experience - but it is there. Some can only accept one kind of experience as 'Disney' and that is unfortunate (for them) ;).

Now look at what you should have bolded if reading in context. Disney used to be in the habit of giving people even more to enjoy than others generally would. Well, they sure as heck still do this when it comes to the middle market 'moderate' hotel.

So, either way, not applicable. Yes, in regard to some other aspects of Disney I have to sadly agree with what I wrote, but not with respect to the moderate resorts.

Now, back on the topic at hand, Chicken Little Syndrome (CLS) has taken over - part of the problem with this board sometimes. You see, I have yet to see any official announcement that pool hopping has died - yet, we are all in mourning and long for the days when we got more, when we had pool hopping. Even I got sucked in and attended the wake. However, I took my little perspective pill and I have regained my faculties (for a short time at least :crazy: ). Not that the substance of the subsequent discussion might not apply to other things Disney, but staying close to the original topic can be a nice thing to do :).

Scoop, stating that the concept and direction of DVC has changed with respect to "extras" is not the same as claiming entitlement.

Baron is only pointing out that he was led to believe that while free tickets might go away, the level of perqks and the concept behind providing them would not (and we have seen scores of others make similar statements) I agree with letting the free market make the decision, and if Disney did not violate any laws, they are perfectly within their rights to change their direction.

However, there is also nothing wrong with pointing these things out as facts, nor does it smack of the dreaded "entitlement mentality." Its just a way of pointing out that it happened, and giving the opinion that its not indicitive of what the Disney philosophy should be.

As far as the BCV perkq you mentioned, that sounds like a nice one. And if it were universally applied to all members, not just BCV, and especially to OKW, we might be able to put it at a similar level as the free tickets...

(yes, my spelling of perqks was an intentional effort to please everyone... just a little test to see if the old adage "you can't please everyone" is true or not...)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter