Amtrak train info w/pics!All Aboard-Choo-choo!UPDATED

I do believe we will be on the same train:wave2:
what a small world here on the dis! we are in a family bedroom! I will try to email you the week before and get your name so I can say hi!

Oh Lisa, I'm on March 21, you look like you typed May 21. It would have been nice to say hi!
Let me know!

Meals and tipping:

I am in a roomette on March 21 and meeting my family at Disney :cheer2:
Can anyone please let me know if there are vegitarian options or fish/chicken options? I am not a big meat eater and would prefer if I am eating food on a train that it is jut veggies and not meat. Do I need to request this beforehand or will there just be options.

Also, I know we talked about it before...tipping.
Do you do when you get on or after and what is the norm? $20?

Thanks SO much!

There are vegetarians options. My daughter and I are going the end of May and she is a vegetarian. You can go on the Amtrak sight to see a copy of their menu. Not sure if it's standard or not but the dining car menu shows Vegetarian Entree Salad or a Veggie Burger at Lunch. At dinner there's a Vegetarian Pasta.
There are also steak and chicken dishes.

There are vegetarians options. My daughter and I are going the end of May and she is a vegetarian. You can go on the Amtrak sight to see a copy of their menu. Not sure if it's standard or not but the dining car menu shows Vegetarian Entree Salad or a Veggie Burger at Lunch. At dinner there's a Vegetarian Pasta.

both of us Upper NYers will be traveling in late May :yay:
Can't wait to get south!!!!

Take the Auto Train® on your family vacation this summer and you'll skip the traffic and arrive at great savings. Kids ages 2 – 15 ride for just $29 when you book now through May 23, 2013, for travel May 28 – August 28, 2013.

I just booked the auto train for our July trip. Kids fares were not available for our dates. Probably sold out already. I did get a deal on the roomettes. We will be in 2 of those on the way down and in the seats for the back home trip to Lorton, VA. Then about a 5 hour drive home to PA! :cool1:

We just booked another trip down for mid-may :cheer2: We thought about getting a sleeper, but nixed the idea this time. But it was $199 to add on the way down and $149 to add on the way back up (was $149 down when I first started shopping, grr).

But were able to use the 42 promotion on Coach and got a good deal:

Buy one ticket, get one 42% off. You have to purchase by Sunday and travel by May 22.

http://www.amtrak.com/companion-far..._HP1_WSP&WT.mc_n=42PromoTradlpage&WT.mc_r=365

Save 42% on a companion rail ticket aboard most Amtrak routes when you purchase a regular full adult ticket March 4 - April 14, 2013. It's our way of honoring the greatness of #42, Jackie Robinson, and the upcoming Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures film 42.

Just purchase your tickets March 4 - April 14, 2013 for travel April 11 - May 22.

Maybe someone else can take advantage of the discount!

We took the train once but the trip was SO long that it was a one time only thing....now the auto train is something else. We have taken it LOTS of times! (my sister won't fly and she often has gone with me)

I was wondering how much an appropriate tip would be for the Redcaps if we use them in NY Penn Station. Also do you tip the car attendant on the train and if so, how much? We will be in a bedroom from Penn Station to Orlando. I know each person may tip differently but it's been awhile since I've traveled so I want to get an approximate amount.

We book round trip travel for august a couples weeks ago and paid for an oversize vehicule, but when i look at the auto train booking there's no more oversize category all type of vehicules are at the same price...

Do you know if we can get a credit for the extra paid?

We book round trip travel for august a couples weeks ago and paid for an oversize vehicule, but when i look at the auto train booking there's no more oversize category all type of vehicules are at the same price...

Do you know if we can get a credit for the extra paid?

call Amtrak! I am sure they would refund if there is no higher price option

we are traveling May 21st from albany to Orlando(arrive May 22nd) in case you are on then.Return June 1st-2nd

labfan said:
I was wondering how much an appropriate tip would be for the Redcaps if we use them in NY Penn Station. Also do you tip the car attendant on the train and if so, how much? We will be in a bedroom from Penn Station to Orlando. I know each person may tip differently but it's been awhile since I've traveled so I want to get an approximate amount.

We tipped the room attendant 20.00 when we boarded and then like 5.00 every time they brought us a meal-we preferred to eat in our room rather than sit with strangers in the dining car.

if the redcap at Penn is dealing with your bags give him $5-$10 bucks. Then I will give $10 when I board at Penn to the 'room attendant' on my car.I eat meals in the dining car and tip them there after my meal. I will then tip $10 when I get off to my attendant for their help while traveling.I haven't used the redcaps but many people do.Have fun!!! I will beat ya there:cool1:

Thanks for your answers on the tipping. This is our first time on an Amtrak. Can't wait.

have fun :wizard:

I just got the dreaded call-----------------track work on June 1-2!!!!! How dare they?!
Now we have to ride a bus from Orlando to Jacksonville:headache: not happy! Oh well, at least we will be all happy from our vacation!

Sorry to hear about that dreaded call. We'll be returning home on June 6th.
But at least you will already be done with the fun vacation.

Bummer, lisa-upnorth.

We board the train this Sunday night/Monday morning 2am really. We drive to SC, drink beer at one of our favorite places, and then get nice and sleepy for the ride down. :cool1:

For anyone in the Raleigh/Durham NC area, I have a refund voucher for $186 that I will probably never use. I can use it towards buying tickets for anyone, as long as I am present when they are bought. Tickets would be in that person's name though. I am willing to take $120 cash for the voucher(which is about a 30% savings) or best offer. Tickets would need to be purchased at a train station by July, but travel could be anytime in the future. PM me if you are interested.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter