Amish and Ministers don't pay taxes

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by Pembo, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Pembo

Pembo OH-IO

Heard this gem today. Do you believe it?

It's untrue btw.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. tianna26

tianna26 Mouseketeer

Amish certainly dont ministers only pay on outside jobs that has nuthin to do with church

4. almburr

almburr DIS Veteran

the Amish pay taxes, I didn't think that they paid into SS since they take care of their own (Im not 100% sure on that).

5. Pigeon

Pigeon DIS Veteran

The Amish pay income tax and sales tax. They may be exempt from SS tax. Clergy receive special tax treatment, but they aren't exempt from taxes.

6. Allison

Allison DIS Veteran

Incorrect.

7. wgeo

wgeo That's the kind of day where you can't open your m

Actually, this is not true. My DH is a minister and he is considered a contract employee and has to pay all of the soc. security self-employment taxes. Trust me, I just made a big ol' payment today since self-employed have to pay estimated taxes quarterly. It wasn't pretty! :lmao: He pays full taxes on his salary from the church and on any money given to him for performing weddings/funerals etc.

8. Scrappy_Tink

Scrappy_Tink DIS Veteran

My BIL is a Baptist Minister, and I know they have to pay taxes.

9. daughtersrus

daughtersrus DIS Veteran

My BIL is a Lutheran pastor. Not only does he pay taxes but he's considered self-employed so he pays all of his Social Security.

10. conefrog

conefrog Earning My Ears

My father is a minister and he pays all taxes.

11. Robbi

Robbi DIS Veteran

Dang, I was about to Google, "How to Become Amish".

12. Scrappy_Tink

Scrappy_Tink DIS Veteran

:rotfl2: and I was looking up how to be ordained!!

13. Robbi

Robbi DIS Veteran

:lmao:

14. emma'smom

emma'smom <font color=magenta>P.S. Who would serve turnips a

My dad's a Presbyterian Minister....and I know he's paid taxes on his salary his entire professional life.

15. Scrappy_Tink

Scrappy_Tink DIS Veteran

We might as well face it, there really IS two things we have to do: Pay taxes and die.

16. nchulka

nchulka <font color=purple>it was funny when the creepy gu

That is a total lie! DH is a pastor and we pay MORE in taxes. Being a minister means you are considered self-employed which means not only income taxes but also double social security taxes, employee and employer portions! It's true that the church does not take it out of his pay. He is given a check for the full amount of his salary. However we must estimate what our taxes will be and pay that every 4 months! There's no looking forward to April for our big refund in this house :rotfl2:

17. Lilliputian

Lilliputian DIS Veteran

Pastors and the Amish can opt out of Social Security. That's it. If they don't pay in, then they (and their survivors) can't collect SS, whether it's because of age, disability, or death (survivor benefits).

18. Gumbo4x4

Gumbo4x4 Note to the ladies who forgot to

Can't speak for all states, but farm supplies are exempt from sales tax here (if you're a farmer that is). Could be many Amish avoid some taxes in this manner.

19. AndreaDM

AndreaDM <font color=red>Yeah...we mainly colored that day<

I work in Amish country and used to work for a public accounting firm. I have prepared many Amish tax returns, so yes they pay. The only thing they don't pay is SS and that's only after they join the church.

20. Cannot_Wait_4Disney

Cannot_Wait_4Disney Ok all you A cattle, get in ...

Clergy can at their option, opt out of social security. However, they must state a valid religious reason for opting out and only their income from working for the church is exempt. That means they won't pay any social security or medicare taxes and they will get no social security or medicare benefits when the time comes. Many clergy members don't opt out of social security and because many churches set them up as contract employees, if they choose to opt in to social security, they have to pay the their half and their employer's half. The rest of all the other applicable taxes, they have to pay just like the rest of us.

21. Pembo

Pembo OH-IO

OP here - Rev DH and I definitely pay taxes just like the rest of the world. Our only exemption is on our housing allowance.

I did a little research on the Amish and they pay taxes too.