Americans Keeping Cars Longer than Ever Before

I like not having a car payment. And putting a rebuilt or even new engine is a lot less painful.

We're driving a 2003 Chrysler T&C. Frankly, I love it. And I haven"t had a car payment since 2002, which I also love!

We sure found this out when we went to shop for a good, low mileage used car for my DS when he turned 16. The salesman told us that people keep their cars much longer than in years past. It makes it very hard to find a low mileage used car.

My Tahoe had been a demo model with about 2,000 miles on it when I bought it. Coming up on 12 years old and just over 65,000 miles I expect her to be around for at least another 12 if not more. My DH keeps trying to tempt me with shiny new vehicles but I'm not biting. I love my truck and I love not having payments (and higher insurance) even more.

I like my 2001 coupe which is why I still have. Plus to get a new coupe I would have to upgrade from a ford or buy a brand I don't want because the only entry level.2 doors are hatchbacks. Not everyone wants a 4 door or can afford a luxury or sports car to get a 2 door coupe.

I had to get rid of my 9 year old car this year b/c the electrical shorted out...but my other 13 year old car is going strong (and we plan to keep it til we finish payments on the 1st new car)...I keep cars until their repair costs greatly exceed their worth, so I'm planning to hold them for 8-15 years again...

I like not having a car payment. And putting a rebuilt or even new engine is a lot less painful.

Never had to replace an engine yet.....fingers crossed, even in the 29 year old Suburban. 2 transmissions though, one at 13 years on the road and one last year.

It was a lesson hard learned for us, but we are going strong in our 11 year old civic and 6 year old T&C and no car payments. It's the BEST feeling!!!!

Yep ours are 16, 15, 10 & 7. Also loving no car payments. But I gotta be honest, insurance with teenagers is like having a car payment

My dh drives an 11yo Civic and I drive a 15yo Odyssey. We have been car payment free since 2008. It is a wonderful feeling!

2007 Impala and 2004 Envoy. Currently saving to replace the Envoy as it is also our tow vehicle for our 19 foot camper (hey, it has a potty and is 19 times better than a tent!!!) and is rusting out due to upstate new york winters and all it's hard work.

When I was young, and unmarried, I changed cars every 7-8 years on average. I thought I was doing pretty well! Some of my friends got new upgrades every 2-3 years!

Then I got married and had kids and realized there are far more important things to spend money on, including savings.

So we now keep our cars around 15 years.

2007 Impala and 2004 Envoy. Currently saving to replace the Envoy as it is also our tow vehicle for our 19 foot camper (hey, it has a potty and is 19 times better than a tent!!!) and is rusting out due to upstate new york winters and all it's hard work.
I am a naive Californian, but I thought rust was a thing of the past with modern rust proofing, or at least Ziebart. My FIL lived on the gulf coast and had his new cars Ziebarted. If they rusted, Ziebart fixed it for free.

Our last cars were 12 and 13 years old. The ones dh and I are driving now are 2 and 3 years old and we plan to keep each of them for at least another 10.
My dd has an 06' civic and hopefully that will last through college for her, so 6 to 7 years.

My Tahoe had been a demo model with about 2,000 miles on it when I bought it. Coming up on 12 years old and just over 65,000 miles I expect her to be around for at least another 12 if not more. My DH keeps trying to tempt me with shiny new vehicles but I'm not biting. I love my truck and I love not having payments (and higher insurance) even more.

Lol, If I could keep a car down to 65000 miles after 12 years I'd be keeping it also!

My current Jeep is 2009 with almost 160K miles on it. I usually let them go in the 175000 to 200000 range but that's only 7 or 8 years. It won't be long as I want some of the newer features also. I just gave away my second, back up vehicle to family. I'll probably keep the jeep as back up vehicle depending on what car I buy - I'm all over the place with regard to what I want model wise and even brand wise.

I do want the feature where your cell phone is hands free and connects when you get in the car. I don't like the ear pieces and I'm always getting work calls while driving. I think most cars have this now. I also like the idea of the back up camera as I am in transition with my sight - will need cataract surgery very soon, and anything will help.

I am off work today - maybe I'll go car shopping!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter