American cooking - How do they cope?

Dimplenose

Stranger from the outside
It's half term and I've temporarily become a housewife again (I work in a school). The kids are out and I'm in the mood for baking. I've found a nice sweet bread/cake recipe on an American website and have been having fun trying out a set of cup measures that I bought in Florida.

I don't know how Americans cope - scooping the dry ingredients and trying not to spill them - then measuring the wet ingredients - oh dear I've forgotten to measure the sugar so now I've got to wash and thoroughly dry the cup before I can continue. As for measuring butter ?????:confused3

It all makes my add and weigh scales seem very, very simple.

I suppose it's just a matter of what you're used to.

:lmao: ive got a muffin recipe to make with the kids...i use add and weigh scales as well, so much easier !

Here they are

IMGP0012.jpg

They taste OK, but are a bit stodgy.

P.S I wonder why I haven't visited the dieters' thread recently?:rolleyes1

They look very professional!

But I know what you mean about the cups. Also sometimes they are for so much!!
I have a recipe for chocolate chip cookies, that makes 4 dozen!! and uses almost a whole pack of butter....

Mmmmmmm... they look lovely! Are the cinnamon-y? They look a bit like cinnamon whirls :thumbsup2

It's half term and I've temporarily become a housewife again (I work in a school). The kids are out and I'm in the mood for baking. I've found a nice sweet bread/cake recipe on an American website and have been having fun trying out a set of cup measures that I bought in Florida.

I don't know how Americans cope - scooping the dry ingredients and trying not to spill them - then measuring the wet ingredients - oh dear I've forgotten to measure the sugar so now I've got to wash and thoroughly dry the cup before I can continue. As for measuring butter ?????:confused3 . . .

The answer is two sets of measuring cups--one for dry, one for liquid, preferrably the dry has a level edge all around for scraping across top of the flour, sugar, etc and a cup with a pouring spout for the liquid. As to butter, in the US a pound of butter is usually wrapped in 4 quarter pound sticks with the Tablespoon and cup fractions marked on the wrapper. I'm always a little lost when I try to decode a recipe from Mrs. Beeton. It is as you said, all just what we're used to.

I knew there'd be a simple answer!

P.S. Yes they are cinnamon, but a yeast bun rather than a danish pastry.

So come on be honest - how many have you got left! :rotfl2:

They look fab, and i have just got some cup measuring thingys, can you post the recipe??

I based it on a recipe it from this site

http://scandinavianfood.about.com/od/coffeecakessweetbreads/r/cinnamonrolls.htm

but I didn't have any cardomom so I left it out. I used quick dried yeast so I used the method on the yeast packet (i.e. all the dry ingredients in the bowl and then add the wet ones) I halved the recipe and got 20 buns. They are quite stodgy but were a lot better when they were completely cold.

DH and DS polished off the ones I didn't freeze while I was at a Guiders' meeting last night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter