Am I the only one who *hates* the DDP??

I've never used the DDP, I just haven't stayed long enough to warrant using it. However, I've also tried not to use it because reading all these posts makes it seem so confusing.:confused3 Maybe we'll try it for our next trip when we are there for 2 weeks.

I also don't really understand why this thread was started. Obviously, if you've been on this board longer than a day, you would have known that no, you are not the only one who hates the DDP. End of story.

Posts about "done to death" topics such as tour groups, school aged children in strollers, and lying about your child's age to get something for nothing are useless posts! My post was genuine and I wanted others' opinions on how the DDP works into their Disney style...the DDP can be kinda tricky, but some people still *love* it. I like to hear both sides... Sometimes the search option isn't that great to find that ONE good answer that may make sense or that you can relate to. When that happens to me, I post. Isn't that what the Dis boards are for? :confused3 But thank you anyway for your comment...even opinions of grumpy people are welcome on the Dis! :thumbsup2

I don't get it. The Dining Plan is not a recent invention. There has always been some form of the Dining Plan in place for as long as I can remember. Back when my family went for the first time in 1985 there was a Dining Plan. Only you got real paper tickets with restaurant names printed on them.

When I was a CP in 2002 there was a Dining Plan only it was called something like the Discovery Plan which was the regular plan and there was The Grand Plan which was like the Deluxe DDP. I remember because when cards were swiped the receipts were forever long.

When we visited in 99 before a cruise we were asked if we had a Dining Plan. It is not a new thing. And I personally don't think the dumbing down of the menus is a DDP thing. More a Disney cost cutting thing overall.

I personally don't see all promotions equally. Room discounts don't affect my hotel stay. DDP, especially free dining, has made a major impact on my dining experience. I would love it, if they went back to the old hotel/ticket promotions. I realize some people couldn't afford the same type vacation w/o free dining. For them, I wish they offered a hotel & ticket discount that equaled what they would have to pay for food. I just think the promotions offered shouldn't negatively affect the vacations of others. We can see how much WDW pays for food now. Apparently, it's cheaper to give it away than offer the type of hotel discounts they once did. If everyone was paying for exactly what they eat, they could charge the price necessary to offer more than the cheapest product they can find.

emmabemmainc said:
I also don't really understand why this thread was started. Obviously, if you've been on this board longer than a day, you would have known that no, you are not the only one who hates the DDP. End of story.

I guess for the same reason some post a thread saying they "love" the ddp?
Why not have a thread for your side?

I don't get it. The Dining Plan is not a recent invention. There has always been some form of the Dining Plan in place for as long as I can remember. Back when my family went for the first time in 1985 there was a Dining Plan. Only you got real paper tickets with restaurant names printed on them.

When I was a CP in 2002 there was a Dining Plan only it was called something like the Discovery Plan which was the regular plan and there was The Grand Plan which was like the Deluxe DDP. I remember because when cards were swiped the receipts were forever long.

When we visited in 99 before a cruise we were asked if we had a Dining Plan. It is not a new thing. And I personally don't think the dumbing down of the menus is a DDP thing. More a Disney cost cutting thing overall.

The previous dining plans weren't as cheap as the current plan. Plus, few guests used them. Those who did paid well for the privilege. Those plans didn't affect the dining scene at all. DDP & DxDDP are a different story. The cost is too low for WDW to continue to offer the quality product they once did. They simply can't afford to at those prices. Those paying OOP are now paying too much for the quality received to subsidize the low DDP/DxDDP payout. Counter service locations haven't seen the same decline, because the QSDP costs more in line with OOP prices. They're not losing money left & right on that plan, unless they're giving it away.

OMG im so sick of hearing: "oh but the dining plan really isnt free since you have to pay rack rate for the room".

I can easily argue that your room discount isnt much of a discount since you have to pay OOP for food!

Paying OOP works for some but not for us. To each their own right? We dont benefit from room discounts. We save much more $$$ with free dining offer. Thats just us. We paid OOP for a couple days and spent A FORTUNE on food. Never again OOP!

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

Just to be clear, I'm not arguing anyone liking the plans or not, if it works for you, grand, if not, peachy. For me this was just one "I hate the DDP" thread too many.

:thumbsup2

No one is forced to use the dining plan. If it doesn't work for you, or make sense to you, don't use it.

goofyintoronto said:
OMG im so sick of hearing: "oh but the dining plan really isnt free since you have to pay rack rate for the room".

I can easily argue that your room discount isnt much of a discount since you have to pay OOP for food!

Paying OOP works for some but not for us. To each their own right? We dont benefit from room discounts. We save much more $$$ with free dining offer. Thats just us. We paid OOP for a couple days and spent A FORTUNE on food. Never again OOP!

I agree!

To be fair, this aspect of the DDP is fairly easy to compare apples to apples. At the higher end of the spectrum, a couple might have to spend $3,500 for seven nights to qualify for seven days of free dining worth $700. So as long as they can get a room for $400 per night or less without the plan, and eat for $700, they break even. From there it is easy to play with the numbers to see how you will come out. So paying rack rate at the higher end of the resort spectrum is a big deal. Especially if you are only getting free dining for one or two people.

JimmyV said:
Quote:

To be fair, this aspect of the DDP is fairly easy to compare apples to apples. At the higher end of the spectrum, a couple might have to spend $3,500 for seven nights to qualify for seven days of free dining worth $700. So as long as they can get a room for $400 per night or less without the plan, and eat for $700, they break even. From there it is easy to play with the numbers to see how you will come out. So paying rack rate at the higher end of the resort spectrum is a big deal. Especially if you are only getting free dining for one or two people.

Thats why i said to each their own...because we would never stay delux. Room discount at value or mods is minimal...we save more with free dining.

Room discounts at delux level is huge. But again, it doesnt apply to us.

goofyintoronto said:
Thats why i said to each their own...because we would never stay delux. Room discount at value or mods is minimal...we save more with free dining.

But even with 30% RO discount at BC for 7 nights is not as good as a discount as FD for 5 Disney adults. Saves us an extra $1000 if we got FD. And last trip we spent at least $2000 on food alone. We don't skimp at all.

But even with 30% RO discount at BC for 7 nights is not as good as a discount as FD for 5 Disney adults. Saves us an extra $1000 if we got FD. And last trip we spent at least $2000 on food alone. We don't skimp at all.

And that is why the "to each his own" is the best advice. What works for 5 adults in a deluxe may not work for a couple in a deluxe. Way too many variables to make generalizations about price. You just have to get out your calculator. But as I posted earlier, if the DP does not mesh with your style of eating, the price comparison is irrelevant.

You'd actually be much better off with TiW and a room disocunt..

Wow that's alot. I have 2 teenage boys and we don't spend 300 bucks a day on food. Can I ask how many ts are you guys are eating a day.

Last year, we ate a ts almost every day including appertizers and tip and we average only ~170 a night (average) We only had really 2 nights where we approached the 250 buck mark.

But let me ask you, with the free dining if you are eating that much you are you some thing OOP or do you upgraded to deluxe dining, do you guys do a lot of character meals?

And that is why the "to each his own" is the best advice. What works for 5 adults in a deluxe may not work for a couple in a deluxe. Way too many variables to make generalizations about price. You just have to get out your calculator. But as I posted earlier, if the DP does not mesh with your style of eating, the price comparison is irrelevant.
Great point Jimmy,

The cost comparison always comes up on the budget board and the first bit of advice I like to give is to always go to allears and look how you would normally eat.

This will be my first time using the "free dining." It actually is my first time using the dining plan period, but in my past Disney travels, my patents were footing the bill. I think it is pretty convenient for us because we are big drinkers and this is a way to have our actual meals already covered ahead of time and we can spend oop for our adult refreshments. The thing I am concerned with is the "too many desserts." I do not have a big sweet tooth and tend to fill up very quickly on meals and wine/beer. I'm hoping I can at least take some of these desserts back to the hotel, but I'm not sure I will even eat them.
I can see everyone's point of view here. If this weren't my first trip back in 5 years and we went annually like I used to as a kid, I probably would skip it if it weren't being offered for "free."
I was shocked when we booked by how cheap this trip is...

Don't worry ; the desserts are nothing special

*TheWigs* said:
I remember the DDP being a MUCH better value several years ago...BIG bags of candy/multi-serving foods were sometimes considered a "snack" and there were few restrictions on what you could order at a TS restaurant ::yes::. Nowadays, unless we BY CHANCE were to book our trip during free dining, I would ABSOLUTELY bypass the DDP! It's inevitable that I or one of my family want something from the menu that ISN'T included on DDP :rolleyes2 or we have a TON of snack credits left over :faint:. Two years ago, we did DDP and just weren't happy with all the "rules and restrictions" that were so different from years past. I'm not saying that one can't get a good value with the DDP or knock the convenience of being able to budget your food $ to the dime, but for the way our family eats and orders, it's just not for us...anyone else?? :confused3

It's not for us either. It doesn't include items we enjoy, has too many snacks/desserts than we need and costs us more than OOP so it doesn't occur to us to purchase it any more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter