Am I out of my mind?

srwarden1928

DIS Veteran
Dw and I made four or five trips to WDW until she burned herself out on Disney about 6 years ago. I am a huge WDW fan, having made my first trip there in Feb. 1972. I recently lost dw to a tragic accident and am working through the grieving process. I had the ?crazy? idea of taking a solo trip to WDW sometime in 2017, probably summer or fall. I welcome comments, suggestions, etc.

I am so sorry to hear of ur heartbreaking loss. I hope u are able to draw strength from friends/family.

Perhaps in time, ( I think you ll just "know it" rather than question it) a trip back to wdw is a wonderful idea. Maybe a trip with another person/s ( don't people here on Dis even meet up for a park day ..etc) would be a bit less difficult? I've only done solo days not a solo trip, and certainly not under your circumstances, but there may be others here who can make actual suggestions. I hope they ll respond.

My sincerest condolences srwarden1928.

So sorry for your loss. I would go in the fall like later Oct. The weather is perfect. Crowds are lower and it is food and wine. The summer temps can have a heat index of 120 degree's Not good for being in a park walking on cement all day. I just did a 4 day solo trip at the end of Oct and it was perfect.

So sorry to hear of your loss. I hope things get better for you.

As someone who regularly visits Disney Parks on a solo basis, you are bound to run into someone else there who is also travelling alone. I've never had a trip where I've actually stayed solo for long, I always end up chatting to someone and it's actually how I met some of my closest friends. Hope you end up booking and have a fantastic time!

Not exactly the same situation, but, my first solo trip after my wife and I divorced was sort of sweet and sour. I went back and so many happy memories were there when we went with the kids when they were little, the excitement we had sharing the planning and taking the, quite often, road trips from Vermont. I'd sit there on a bench and all those memories would come flashing back to me. I was feeling sad and defeated and just a little lonely. Then I went to CoP and instead of the old theme of "Now is the best time" they had changed the theme to "It's a great big beautiful tomorrow". Coincidence, probably, but, it gave me the kick I needed to move on and re-focus myself to new goals and new things. Since then I have made probably 15 solo trips to WDW and a few others with my daughters and family and friends. All was good, and life turned around. Not a miracle, just a change in attitude. It doesn't heal right away, but, over time we realize the life goes on and all we can do is the best we can do. And you know what... most of the time, that's good enough.

So sorry for your loss, I cannot begin to understand what you are going through.

Everyone is different and I cannot know how your memories of Disney are woven with those of your wife. As you think of being at WDW, standing in front of the Castle, what feelings do you have?

The fact that the "crazy" idea popped into your head I think you might have already answered your question.

I read in your words a love of Disney. With that in mind I would say go.

As to when, review the activities for each season and see if something captures your fancy. Food and Wine is a fun time at Epcot.

Wishing you a magical and healing trip!

Sorry for your loss. Another vote to definitely go! Fall is a beautiful time to be there w/the decorations & Food & Wine.

Dw and I made four or five trips to WDW until she burned herself out on Disney about 6 years ago. I am a huge WDW fan, having made my first trip there in Feb. 1972. I recently lost dw to a tragic accident and am working through the grieving process. I had the ?crazy? idea of taking a solo trip to WDW sometime in 2017, probably summer or fall. I welcome comments, suggestions, etc.
I can't imagine what you're going through but I don't think your idea of taking a solo trip is crazy. I just completed my third solo trip in a row and I had a great time as always!

Thank you all for the responses so far. I am leaning very strongly toward making a trip. I am very good with the idea of touring the parks solo. The last time we were there, there were a number of times when we either went our separate ways in a park, or even that dw stayed at the resort while I did some touring. Sure it is fun to experience rides and shows with someone else. It can be wonderful to see a loved one's reactions to them. But it is also fun to experience them on your own. That for me will be the easiest part of a solo trip.

I have had problems with eating out since my loss of my dw. As a person who enjoyed eating out two to three times a week, I have only been able to motivate myself to eat out about six times since October 12, and two of those were to a dinner theatre that I have season tickets to so as to not miss a show. It would probably been easier to motivate myself to go to eat if I were staying in a hotel, I still have some hesitations about eating at WDW. First of all, even when I toured separately we always ate together. One of the things we did at CS restaurants is that I would usually stand in line to get the food and pay while dw would secure a table for us. Even at slow times like October getting a table could be a challenge. How do you find a table after you have your hands full of your food? We enjoyed very much eating at various TS places, both in parks and resorts. I have yet to get comfortable at eating out. Any suggestions as to overcoming this?
Also, how do you keep your table from being cleared away while you are at the buffar at those types of restaurants?

Finally, I have only taken "necessary" trips solo in the last 21 years. "Necessary" has been because of family and business. Dw took many family trips with me, but not all. I have had only very few business trips. It is difficult for me to remember when I took a completely pleasure trip because I wanted to solo. I do have a couple of short trips planned, but these again are "necessary" family trips. One would have been solo even if dw was still with me.

I know that I will miss her a great deal on a WDW trip. I also know that I have the rest of my life to live, and that while no amount of time is guaranteed, it could be many years. I welcome your suggestions. I just get a really good feeling from the people on this board. It seems that many of you really care about each other even though not having met in person. I am pleased to be a part of this online community.

As a solo traveler dining alone at quick service spots or the like...I wander til I find an empty spot/area or a table that looks like they aren't using all the seats (sometimes it's couples or other singles). And then I ask "hi can I sit here?". Some are cool with sharing, some say no or they are holding seats so I move along. And vice versa if I happen to have a table with open seats & I see a wandering soul I speak up "do you need a seat?". Honestly I don't dwell too long eating so by the time I check my phone, eat, organize my next plan of action I am pretty much on my way. I've never ate at a buffet solo so can't answer that.

For eating out at Disney - for QS - I just get my food - and hunt for a table after I have it. Yes - that can be a pain - but I avoid that issue by trying to hit QS places early or late during the meal time. I usually do TS for lunch - so for the dinner QS - it's often early (4-5 pm) - or late (8-9 pm) - so finding a seat isn't bad. I also "survey" seating before getting my meal. If it looks like it's going to be awful - I come back at another time or eat somewhere else. Note - I have NO problem taking a table for 4 at a QS place as most places there are no/few 2-tops. I have a right to a seat, too.

For the TS buffet places - your server will know if you have left because you have paid your bill! If you are the type who might leave something on a plate that you still want to finish - but you want to go back to the buffet to get more of something else - let your server know that's your pattern of behavior when you sit down and hopefully they won't clear away your plate while you are away.

I think a trip might be a valuable part of your healing process. It's also a safe place where you can practice dining solo.

I don't know if you are a runner/walker or not, but the Run Disney race weekends are filled with solo travelers. Folks wear their medals and/or shirts, so there's something to talk about.

And a Dis-meet is always a good idea!

I am so sorry for your loss.

I grew up going to WDW. when I lost my father, I started going to WDW multiple times a year. as crazy as it sounds, i feel like he is there with me. It has actually helped me heal and accept his death. Go and have fun, enjoy your time!

My condolences on the passing of your wife.

No you are not being silly at all. I will be hard at first but it could also be really changing to your process.

I just saw this, and I am so very sorry for your loss.

I think a solo trip will be a little less stressful than one in which you have a companion with you, and I wonder if it will actually be helpful for you. I think that many times a familiar place with memories, both happy and maybe not so happy, is a good way to work through what is a painful process.

I just returned from a trip with a dear friend whose husband is in hospice care now. This trip was much needed for her, but very difficult is some ways, and I am happy that she trusted me enough to join me. We had a really relaxed trip planned, but very park had memories for her, restaurants brought back wonderful times when they traveled with friends, and the resort was their "home", so it was bittersweet for her.

I am an easygoing traveling companion, and I was prepared for her to reminisce, and wanted her to, but not everyone would look at a Dsiney vacation like that. If you choose to go alone, be prepared for all the ups and downs you probably have been going through already, and give yourself permission to just let those memories be a part of the trip. If you do decide to have a friend accompany you, make sure that the companion is okay with your agenda. I believe that not eveyone is okay with taking things as they come, and while that is okay it probaby will not work on this particular trip.

I wish you well, adn hope that yuour trip is a positive one, both in the planning stages, as well as the trip itself.

My condolences to you and your family.
I too am nervous about eating alone on my first solo trip I am planning, but I've read lots of good advice from the DIS boards. Bring a kindle or book to read, plan your after meal activities, go on the Disney app and look up wait times and show times, make notes on the park map for future visits, what you did, where you ate, etc. Keeping busy will help with the alone time.

Good luck!

So sorry for your loss.,sounds like a trip to Disney would be a good plan. Eating solo is not a problem but it is hard if you are not used to it. I know it seems crazy, but no one is looking at you, feeling sorry for you etc. people are way too self involved. If I even notice someone else eating solo my only thought is you go my fellow solo person! It really is a comfort issue but start slow or eat at bars/ quick service if you really cannot handle it. For quick service, I have never had a problem finding a spot as a solo. I like Columbia Harbour house and Cosmic Rays in MK for quick service seating and they both have a lot of space. Otherwise as PP suggested that that that if crowded… Just wait… Or move onto the next spot… best of luck and hope you go forward with a trip

I used to be afraid of dining alone, but I've come to love it. I like people watching, listening to families in conversation or even squabbling, watching employees do their work, wondering about what it must be like to live wherever I happen to be. I always enjoy my food a little more because I pay attention to it more, I eat exactly what I want and savor it, and I feel more gratitude for the experience of being out. I'm not sure why, exactly, but there's somehow something good in being so strong and at the same time so vulnerable in public.

I hope that you find a way to enjoy those experiences, too, however you may get there. My condolences on your loss.

My condolences for your loss. Another vote for you going solo. If you feel uncomfortable eating solo, practice getting comfortable by doing it before (coffee shops, fast food places and work up to table service) and take something to do if you don't like to people watch. It took me awhile to get comfortable even when I was looking forward to it. You can always look at these boards to see if there is someone you can meet up for a meal.
I hope you have a wonderful and healing trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter