Am I crazy for loving SSR?

I guess I'll have plenty of company in the asylum!:lmao:

The weird thing is I did not like SSR when I did the tour. I thought it too spread out and didn't like the furniture..confused3 Then when we stayed here in December, I loved it. I might have a different opinion if I got stuck in the Carasoual section though. I still think that was an ill-planned section, but I love the Grandstands. I know some love the Springs and some love Congress (we were actually put in Congress and I asked to be moved which they could do), but this area is perfect for my family.

DDs are still sleeping, breakfast casserole in the oven, DH playing an early 9 holes at Oak Trail and me with my coffee and the Dis at SSR...pretty close to heaven.:cloud9:

my fiance and I stayed on our developer points and totally fell in love with SSR. It is so peaceful and serene. I would book there in a heartbeat again. We saw a family of otters running around one day! It was like a scene from a movie. We LOVED SSR! :thumbsup2

Momx2 SSR is your HAPPY PLACE:yay: !!! I'm so glad for you ! SSR is a wonderful resort and I understand completely what you mean - we feel this way about our OKW home :love: - - it's the best feeling when a resort just "speaks" to you & you know you are home. We were considering add-on at BLT (still may, not sure yet) but THVs really have swayed us over to SSR so looks like we'll addon at SSR first :goodvibes

Have a great trip :)

Of course you're not crazy!! We love it there too!

I was a little concerned when we first purchased there because we actually had never been to the property. And I'll admit; all those bashing threads had me a little worried. But the minute we arrived we were quite taken. And it's been "love" ever since! :lovestruc

We've only stayed at SSR since we've owned which is going on 2 years now and while we are curious about other resorts, we really do love SSR. I'm certain that each resort has it's nuances, but we do love SSR. It's nice being able to walk to DTD (we have been fortunate enough to always stay in CP) and everything is generally only a 10 minute bus ride.

Count me as one of the nuts. We LOVE SSR. We have stayed at several of the other DVCs, just to see what the "must stay there or else" fuss is all about, but we just find ourselves wanting to be at SSR or OKW (our other favorite). SSR is beautiful and we always have a great time.

There are things I like better at other resorts, but SSR just gets me and I'm afraid I'm missing the bad. Someone please tell me the bad before I add on! We are here until Thursday and then move on to AKV Jambo, maybe I'll fall in love there????:confused3

Your not missing the bad. Everyone has different wants/needs from their DVC and gives more weight to the things that matter to them. If your not seeing the bad, then SSR is for you! I love that there is something for everyone with DVC. :goodvibes

We stayed 6 nights at SSR in December and are here now for 4 nights sandwiched between BWV and AKV and I just love it here. I read all the negative things about SSR here, but there is just something that I can't put my finger on that I absolutely love. We are recent members, buying AKV last summer. We have stayed at BCV, BWV and SSR and Animal Kingdom Lodge (not DVC) along with various other resorts, but I just think SSR feels so homey or something, I don't know:confused3. I love the Grandstand area and so do the kids and it is so peaceful on the balcony.

There are things I like better at other resorts, but SSR just gets me and I'm afraid I'm missing the bad. Someone please tell me the bad before I add on! We are here until Thursday and then move on to AKV Jambo, maybe I'll fall in love there????:confused3
Your not crazy, it's a nice resort. It's not at the top (actually at the bottom) of the WDW DVC resorts for us but that doesn't make it bad. Plus your feelings are your own, just enjoy it.

It actually smells spotless! There really appears to be an aroma in the air which smells like pine. Maybe it's the body lotion coming from the spa! The bus service was excellent too. I am convinced that this resort is a winner and people should ignore the negative posts from others who dislike the resort. We have added more points at SSR three times and plan to do so again in the near future.

The aroma is from the wood chips in the planters. I love it--it does smell like a cedar forest. They had just put "new" chips on one of the paths the first time I was there (staying in the Paddock) and it was very strong. Not as strong in March/April but could still smell it.

Oh, and I love SSR too! I have a December reservation for BCV but am worried that I'm not gonna like it after SSR!

Hi There -

Tried to book a 1-bedroom today at OKW for early December, and was SHOCKED that NOTHING was available there! I've stayed at OKW numerous times, so am used to the "spread out" feeling - matter of fact, I prefer the Turtle Pond area there over the Peninsular Road area.

The ONLY 1-bedroom available for all my nights was at Saratoga Springs, so I'm here on the Saratago thread, looking for some help. :) I've only ridden by there by boat enroute to DTD, and only been on property there once, to eat dinner at the Turf Club - which was EXCELLENT by the way!

Anyway - even though there were Downtown Disney views available, I asked for "close to the main area" - that would be Springs, I would guess? Is it true that Springs is the last bus stop? Since it appears it will be VERY busy - would you think we would have to stand on most buses? If it's the last going to the parks - is it the first coming back? I also did nto choose the DTD view because I figure we won't be home much to really enjoy it - doing Osborne Lights, MVMCP, and Candlelight Processional at least 3 of the 6 nights there, and will be "resort hopping" to see the Xmas decorations at least another night. I also requested top floor because I'm a light sleeper, and don't want anybody trouncing over my head - been there, done that - especially in OKW under a Grand Villa with the hardwood floors - NOT fun! LOL. Anyway - will "main area" still be fairly quiet? Any and all help/tips/advice you could give me I would DEFINITELY appreciate!

I am usually a lurker here, but have found everybody to be friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful.

Oh - another question - LOL - do they still have a "model" set up at SSR? What is it now - is it still AKL, or is it maybe now BLT or THV?

Thanx in advance!!

Heidi - At SSR, they have models for both AKV and BLT, plus an architectural model of THV.

We stayed at SSR last week for one night and had a great stay. We were in the Springs, right near the bus stop and never had a problem getting on the bus. Our room was very quiet - no noise from the bus or from our neighbors.

Thanx Deb and Bill -

Was worried about "standing room only" on the bus if it's going to be crazy busy, like it seems it would be, since there was no 1-BR availability for that time frame at OKW. I have some "walking and standding issues" at times. And - since the friends I'm taking with me call me "The Disney Guru" :), I want to try and make everything as "perfect" as possible.

BTW - being a long-tme lurker, yours are one of the names I have always found to be extremely knowledgeable, friendly, and always willing to help!! :)

Mimmie -

Funny you should say that - I was fortunate enoiugh to stay at VWL for the first time this past Jan., and I absolutely fell in LOVE with the place! Had a WONDERFUL corner room overlooking Sturdy Branches - so not too far from the elevator, and I wish I could paint my apartment the same color as the neat red wall behind the vanity! :rotfl: Maybe I'll fall in love with Saratoga, since you stayed at VWL and missed SSR? :)

Anyway - even though there were Downtown Disney views available, I asked for "close to the main area" - that would be Springs, I would guess? Is it true that Springs is the last bus stop? Since it appears it will be VERY busy - would you think we would have to stand on most buses? If it's the last going to the parks - is it the first coming back? I also did nto choose the DTD view because I figure we won't be home much to really enjoy it - doing Osborne Lights, MVMCP, and Candlelight Processional at least 3 of the 6 nights there, and will be "resort hopping" to see the Xmas decorations at least another night. I also requested top floor because I'm a light sleeper, and don't want anybody trouncing over my head - been there, done that - especially in OKW under a Grand Villa with the hardwood floors - NOT fun! LOL. Anyway - will "main area" still be fairly quiet? Any and all help/tips/advice you could give me I would DEFINITELY appreciate!

I am usually a lurker here, but have found everybody to be friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful.

Oh - another question - LOL - do they still have a "model" set up at SSR? What is it now - is it still AKL, or is it maybe now BLT or THV?

Thanx in advance!!

Yes the Springs is the last stop....coming and going to the parks. The only time I really see the bus stop backed is early in the morning....at peak times of the year. But even then its so-so.

The rooms at SSR are very quiet, very insulated from the outside. We stayed in the Springs section in February. Our room faced the music hall, where the buses drive-by after the Springs stop. We slept like babies every night. Just make sure you take the thermostat bypass instructions with you.

Tom and Robin -

Thanx for your post. The thermostat bypass instructions - that's the ones whre you push "power" and "temp down" at the same time, wait for the "bp" t come up, then set to whatever temp you want, right? Would be helpful for me, even in Dec., since I'm always hot, and semi-mental-pausal. :)

So - "main area" (or Springs) is a good "location pick" for a SSR newbie?

Also - forgot to ask in other posts - are the sofa beds in the living rooms in the 1-BR's there the new "memory foam" ones where the cushions stay on, like vWL or BWV? I slept on one of the old "bar in the back" ones at OKW this past Jan., and actually didn't find it to be all that bad, but since I'm gving the master BR to my friends (who have agreed to share the king size bed), I'd like to hope for the "newer" sleeper sofa. :)

We love SSR!!!! I think the place is gorgeous. We stayed in Congress Park. So awesome to have a view of DTD.

We love SSR too! We just got back from another wonderful trip down there. It's so quiet and peaceful. We did a good bit of walking around this trip and I kept saying to DH that I couldn't understand how so many people seem to really really have negative feelings about SSR. It is so beautiful!

We are going back down in a couple of weeks for another long weekend and I just can't wait. I am so looking forward to sleeping in, relaxing, leisurely strolls around the lovely grounds....and a wonderful manicure and peppermint pedicure at the spa! :goodvibes

Tom and Robin -

Thanx for your post. The thermostat bypass instructions - that's the ones whre you push "power" and "temp down" at the same time, wait for the "bp" t come up, then set to whatever temp you want, right? Would be helpful for me, even in Dec., since I'm always hot, and semi-mental-pausal. :)

So - "main area" (or Springs) is a good "location pick" for a SSR newbie?

Also - forgot to ask in other posts - are the sofa beds in the living rooms in the 1-BR's there the new "memory foam" ones where the cushions stay on, like vWL or BWV? I slept on one of the old "bar in the back" ones at OKW this past Jan., and actually didn't find it to be all that bad, but since I'm gving the master BR to my friends (who have agreed to share the king size bed), I'd like to hope for the "newer" sleeper sofa. :)

There are two different bypass settings.....

If you would like to set the temperature in your room for 24 hours:

1. Push the Power/On-Off button and the Down Arrow at the same time.

2. If you do this correctly, "bp" will appear on the readout.

3. Now you can set the temperature.

If you would like to set the temperature in your room for 3-4 days:

1. Press the Power/On-Off button and the Fan/On-Auto buttons (the top two buttons) at the same time.

2. Press the Power/On-Off button and the Down Arrow (as indicated above) at the same time.

3. If you do this correctly, "bp" will appear on the readout.

4. You can then adjust the temperature to your desired setting.

The main area is fine. I prefer the Grandstand, staying in the first two buildings. But the Springs is very good location to the main pool, lobby, Artist Pallet, the community hall and arcade. Those traveling with small children or those who want to take full advantage or SSR amenities, The Springs is a good choice. The boat to DTD is right behind the Turf Club, also an easy walk.

SSR has the newer sofa beds, a big improvement over the "old" foam mattresses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter