Am I being an unreasonable volunteer?

I agreed to take on a volunteer position for an activity DD is involved in. Part of this job involves coordinating the orders and purchase of items for the group. Let's just pretend it is tshirts and sweatshirts. (it isn't but it is a good analogous example) We don't NEED the shirts, they are just a fun part of being in the group.

Our vendor is a semi- local guy that works out of his home. He lives in our area but is another town over in an area at least 20 mins away that I NEVER have any reason to go to. I have been there once several years ago and it was hard to find and difficult to get to. The group gets none of the money that is paid for the shirts-- it is not a fundraiser of any type so everything above cost is his profit. The group actually pays for one tshirt for everyone so the vendor is guaranteed several thousand dollars. Some families order extras so that is additional money he makes and the sweatshirts are an additional order done later that is again, all money that goes to him. He does come out and work with us on them, collects the initial tshirt orders at that time and delivers the initial tshirt order when they are in.

The person that did this position before me did it for about 6 years. She is a superwoman SAHM that was on the board of every activity her kids did, devoted 80 hours a week on her volunteer jobs, did a great job and is a friend of mine. I, however am back to work and can't devote that time to a volunteer position and frankly didn't even when I wasn't working. She also, through her course of working with this guy for the activity, started actually "working" for him as sort of an unpaid assistant. She helps him with his business and he lets her have all the tshirts she wants for her family for free at any time. So I called her to let her know that I had some additional orders that came in and there were some issues that needed to be fixed (wrong sizes, wrong names). My intention was to give them to her since she "works" with him. She told me I needed to deliver the orders and checks directly to him. :confused3 I don't go over to where he lives ever and I don't have time to be delivering things to him! I told her this and she said that I would basically have to suck it up and do it because that is part of the volunteer position. HE is the one making money off of the orders, the group gets nothing out of it. I get nothing out of it (he did offer me a free shirt for "all my hard work" 3 months ago that I never received). She did finally take them but at this point I am still waiting for several corrected orders and reorders but he won't deliver them to me, I am supposed to go get them. ( I haven't even been called and told they are even ready though) Right now I have about $1000 in sweatshirt orders sitting on my desk that I was told I have to take to him. I told her that wasn't happening and I would bring them by her house this week for her to take them over.

There are plenty of vendors that are much closer to me (and the group location) that would love to have our business, would be happy to deliver and pick up, and probably could work with us to also make it a fundraising activity so we get something back. But this person has been doing it for years, is well known, and I know there will be some major pushback and a lot of hard feelings if I suggest going with a different vendor next year. I do know if I have to use him again next year I will not be taking any orders after the initial order that he picks up and I will refer everyone with an issue directly to him to deal with from now on.

I guess the question is, am I being unreasonable to think that if he is the one that is making all the money then he needs to be willing to come to me? If I am being unreasonable then I will happily step down and let someone else take it on (but believe me, no one is knocking down the doors to do it!)
I do a similar type volunteer position for several teams.

I have facilitated the order of sweatshirts, t-shirts, swim suits, fins, shoes, uniforms and other assorted apparel for large teams.

We deal with numerous vendors.

Not a single one of them delivers. We can either choose to pay a large shipping fee, a large delivery fee or go pick up the orders ourselves.

I think you are being unreasonable.

I'm going to be the dissenter here. Yes, I think you are being unreasonable. You are basically demanding that he deliver to you because you pay him. Not knowing what the item is and using the example of shirts, I do not know of any vendor who would personally deliver. We always have a volunteer go pick up our shirts/jerseys/whatever. Sometimes it's the volunteer, sometimes we ask if someone else can do it if the volunteer can't for whatever reason.

20 minutes is nothing, really. If he normally delivered and now he won't that's a different story. Sounds like you either need to use a different vendor next year or you need to find a different volunteer. (I'm thinking the latter would be the best.)

I have to agree. I have been involved with uniform and spirit wear ordering for my DDs' softball team in the past and they NEVER deliver the stuff to us.

I have to agree. I have been involved with uniform and spirit wear ordering for my DDs' softball team in the past and they NEVER deliver the stuff to us.

Perhaps it's a regional matter since I order a ton of personalized merchandise for events and I've never once had to drive to the vendor to drop off orders or pick up orders. Not one time. So while a 20 minute drive is, IMO, not a big deal, I'd hesitate to do it since I've never done it before.

Nor have I ever had to wait two months for an order correction -- two weeks would be the max. And I certainly would never drive out to pick up a corrected order. That's utterly ridiculous.

OP -- if the vendor is not working out for you, then get a new vendor. In this economy, it shouldn't be too hard to find a vendor who's willing to do what you need to get your business.

Thanks for the opinions.

I am trying to decide what to do for the rest of this term. There will be major changes next year in how things are done and possibly in who our vendor is but for the next few months I have to deal with this one and the situation as it is. I have an Assistant Chair for the committee and she also has said she just isn't able to drive things to him. The standard for this in our area is for them to come to us as far as I know. While it is only about 20 mins away on Mapquest the reality of driving there, driving back with traffic and the difficulty getting there is that I would need to plan on 1 1/2 to 2 hours of time. Of course that is probably why he doesn't want to come here but this is his full time job and how he makes a living.

I would be happy to step aside and let someone else take over but the chances are very good that no one will take it over-- the biggest thing the committee does is yet to come, this is just a small portion of it. Two people already backed out before I took it on. If no one were to step up then the previous person would most likely take the position back, and she doesn't even have kids involved any more. I made the commitment to the committee and the board and your perspective here is helping me figure out how I deal with this guy for the next few months and what direction to go for the future. It sounds like I may be being unreasonable and may have to waste my time taking things to and picking up from him, but it may end with him losing a big client (we are a huge group) because I will find someone next year that is able to be more accommodating.

I appreciate the perspective!:)

Since you volunteered I would ride it out this year and not continue next year if you are expected to continue using this vendor.

I have picked up t-shirts from a local vendor. It wan't "my" responsibility. HOWEVER, the person who was supposed to get them - her FIL passed away. This was right before the big event that the t-shirts were needed for.

In my case - the t-shirt vendor was on my way home from work. Even with that - it was a total pain to get them. They were supposed to be readyat 12:30. So - I left work to get them. They weren't ready. Getting them at the end of the day was a royal pain. With traffic, parking etc, I barely got in the door before they closed for the day.

The vendor was also open only M-F, so a Saturday pick up was not an option.

To the OP - I would "suck-it-up" one time. If I was going to be in that role next year - I would insist that they take project out to bid, and if having several deliveries was a criteria - I would make that an expectation.

I would put out a "Request For Proposal" to all the T-Shirt Vendors in your area, including your current source.

Give information related to the approximate quantity of shirts that will be needed and what will have to be done as far as artwork and names. Ask about delivery information. Also ask about late orders and how size/name mismatches will be handled. State in the RFP that it will not necessarily be given to the low bidder, but the one that offers the best overall package.

Of course set a deadline for receipt of the proposals/draft contracts. And then go with the one with the best overall offer.

Definitely not a convenient vendor for you so he will lose a customer.

While SOMEONE may have to pick up the stuff, I see no reason why it should be you. Either someone who has the time/ability to pick them up or you will have to raise the price and pay shipping. You didn't volunteer to pick them up and didn't have any idea that was part of the expectation of what you were signing on for.

I see no reason to continue using an inconvenient vendor if there are others closer.

While I don't think the vendor has to deliver if that wasn't in the original contract, I think you were duped into a job you didn't sign up for.

If the original volunteer isn't able to do that part when she goes there (? no idea why she can't?) then she will have to accept that you will be changing vendors to one that is more convenient.

I totally get being ready to turn over a job to the next volunteer, but if she wants her friend to have the contract she'll need to facilitate it.

My father used to have a trophy & uniform sporting side business out of the house. For the most part people came to him to pick up their deliveries. I'm not saying my father never delivered if needed but it wasn't part of the deal. People liked going to my father for the personal service & good prices. Of course he made a profit. It was a business after all.

Unless, I've paid a shipping fee I don't expect anyone to deliver to my house. How would the vendor get his work done if he was always traveling around making deliveries?

I think that unfortunately you are stuck with what you've got for the rest of the year. Next year either give up the position or insist on a new vendor if you want to continue to volunteer in this way.

I think that, if you were to consider using another vendor, get their prices and deals (ie: delivery fees, pickup etc) and compare to your current vendor. Perhaps getting an idea of what you would pay with others would give you (and HIM) some perspective and you can decide if you are being an unreasonable volunteer (which I don't think you are. It is perfectly OK to say that what they are asking for is too much of someone who is trying their best to manage their time volunteering) . I hear you that it can be very challenging trying to balance work with volunteer activities (and that a '20 minute drive' is never that simple lol). It is perfectly acceptable to question this practice. Whether or not it is normal for his business is something I do not know.
And business is business. Regardless of his past contributions, he is making money and if you can find a vendor that is willing to meet your needs when he isn't, then he can wave byebye to this customer.

OP I understand that you didn't think you would have to pick up the items. However, now that it turns out that's what has to be done, if it was me I would just suck it up for this year and do it. Especially since people already gave you cash and checks for the items. Have you even ordered the items while all this haggling is going on? I remember one apparel sale we organized for a sports league, a lot of people ordered items for holiday gifts. So you might want to follow the solution mentioned earlier and at least mail the orders in so the vendor can get started.

I don't understand why you said "I don't get anything out of it" why would you get something out of it? It's a volunteer thing. :confused3

Also meant to add, if you don't have time to pick up the items at a place that's 20 minutes away, you may want to consider if you have time to put out a request for proposals, evaluate other businesses, talk to others in the group about a new vendor, etc. Sounds like that would take a lot of time! So I think it's reasonable for you to finish this year but then gracefully bow out. :)

I would just drop off and pick up right now. If there were any "messed up orders" I would be sitting on him in his shop to resolve it promptly or else. I don't have a lot of patience for that kind of shenanagins. He would be getting the stink eye from me.

In the meantime I would be shopping around to get pricing from other vendors.

I would not even be bugging the former volunteer person. I don't care what her position is with the guy.

I do have to question why you took on this role if you did not want to do it. That is kind of odd to me.

Was the former volunteer friends with this vendor? Sound like he has a sweet deal. He messed up and you need to go back and forth? I'd be shopping around. In this day and age service counts.

Same here, at least with the spirit wear. I always have to pick up the items from the vendor. It's no big deal. I'm the one who volunteered for the position, so I have to handle all the responsibilities that one with it, including driving 20 minutes.

Frankly, I can't stand when people play the "I'm so much busier than you" game. If the OP is too busy to do all of the job, then she needs to find a replacement.

I would put out a "Request For Proposal" to all the T-Shirt Vendors in your area, including your current source.

Give information related to the approximate quantity of shirts that will be needed and what will have to be done as far as artwork and names. Ask about delivery information. Also ask about late orders and how size/name mismatches will be handled. State in the RFP that it will not necessarily be given to the low bidder, but the one that offers the best overall package.

Of course set a deadline for receipt of the proposals/draft contracts. And then go with the one with the best overall offer.

Had to laugh at this response. You must be or deal with contracting!!! I'm a government contracting officer and I never thought I would see a post like this in the DIS :rotfl2: made my day.

I see no reason to continue using an inconvenient vendor if there are others closer.
No reason? What if he's cheaper? What if he has better quality? What if he offers something nearby vendors don't (remember, the shirts are an analogy, not the actual product)?

I think that unfortunately you are stuck with what you've got for the rest of the year. Next year either give up the position or insist on a new vendor if you want to continue to volunteer in this way.
Gotta agree here. I understand the current situation is frustrating and "not what you signed up for", but I think you just need to live with it. Before next "season" rolls around do your homework. Find out what other nearby vendors provide the same service and find out what they would charge for the same product. I don't think you need to include the current vendor, you know what he charges. Present the options to the "powers that be" (unless you have the power to make a change by yourself).

It sounds like your talking thousands of items. If the closer vendor charges 50 cents more an item, is it worth spending $500 more for you to save 5-10 hours (maybe)?

ETA: I don't think it's up to you to say next year "We're only doing one order"... that should come with the blessing the organization you're working with.

What was you understanding of the position when you accepted the position? I don't see a 20 minute drive to be too much out of the way.
It seems like you made some assumptions as did the other mom. I see no reason why the other mom should have to take the orders. Also I have never see a company drop off orders without someone paying for shipping.

If you cannot met the requirements as you now know them, then you should talk to the head of the activity about finding a replacement.

20minutes even with traffic etc is not that big a deal in my opinion. You volunteered, you should do it.

I'm going to be the dissenter here. Yes, I think you are being unreasonable. You are basically demanding that he deliver to you because you pay him. Not knowing what the item is and using the example of shirts, I do not know of any vendor who would personally deliver. We always have a volunteer go pick up our shirts/jerseys/whatever. Sometimes it's the volunteer, sometimes we ask if someone else can do it if the volunteer can't for whatever reason.

20 minutes is nothing, really. If he normally delivered and now he won't that's a different story. Sounds like you either need to use a different vendor next year or you need to find a different volunteer. (I'm thinking the latter would be the best.)

I will dissent too. You stepped up, you should have asked all these questions BEFORE volunteering. Put an email out to the group, maybe some lives or travels over that area and would be willing to drop the stuff off for you. And the SAHM line is crap...you volunteered, if you cant do it then dont. She probably has a ton of other stuff to do depsite the fact that she doesnt work. I know I do. I volunteer for a ton of stuff, if you have a job that you volunteered for then do it. I have other stuff to do. If I am out that way for some reason (and just bc she works for him doesnt mean she is out that way) then yes I would offer to run it by, BUT YOU volunteered for it this time.

I do a similar type volunteer position for several teams.

I have facilitated the order of sweatshirts, t-shirts, swim suits, fins, shoes, uniforms and other assorted apparel for large teams.

We deal with numerous vendors.

Not a single one of them delivers. We can either choose to pay a large shipping fee, a large delivery fee or go pick up the orders ourselves.

I think you are being unreasonable.

Same here, at least with the spirit wear. I always have to pick up the items from the vendor. It's no big deal. I'm the one who volunteered for the position, so I have to handle all the responsibilities that one with it, including driving 20 minutes.

Frankly, I can't stand when people play the "I'm so much busier than you" game. If the OP is too busy to do all of the job, then she needs to find a replacement.

Same here, none of our logo wear is delivered, we (or someone in the organization) picks it up to save costs. If we had it delivered either by mail or them driving it to us, it would cost more.

With that all said, if you are unhappy with this arrangement, then you can present to your board options that have the caveat, that if I am to continue to do this next year/time, then we need to have a vendor that delivers or is closer to where I can pick it up. If they dont want to change vendors, than you can step down.

Had to laugh at this response. You must be or deal with contracting!!! I'm a government contracting officer and I never thought I would see a post like this in the DIS :rotfl2: made my day.

Or in sales...my DH talks this "language" all the time:rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter