Am I allowed to scan my MK shoot pics & other random debates...

Status
Not open for further replies.
:lmao: I am a paralegal but I don't deal with copyright laws. I just sue people that get into car accidents.

I should forget law school, I should just fo what you do for probably the same amount of money... law school sux! Misery! Is car accidents more interesting than corporate litigation, because if so, let me sue already!

I should forget law school, I should just fo what you do for probably the same amount of money... law school sux! Misery! Is car accidents more interesting than corporate litigation, because if so, let me sue already!

Oh yeah I think so!!! I thought corporate stuff was a little boring. I think the MOST interesting is employment cases. Sexual Harrasment, Age Discrimination stuff like that.

Oh yeah I think so!!! I thought corporate stuff was a little boring. I think the MOST interesting is employment cases. Sexual Harrasment, Age Discrimination stuff like that.

I grew up with corporate both my dad and brother are in that type of litigation and it just kinda flowed into that for me. I think after law school it'll be okay, but geez, law school is just awful!

I grew up with corporate both my dad and brother are in that type of litigation and it just kinda flowed into that for me. I think after law school it'll be okay, but geez, law school is just awful!

Yeah I agree with you. Of course I didn't go to Law School but I took legal studies and I thought contracts and things like that were boring but I am sure working for a firm things would be much better.

HAHA I just watched that youtube link that guy posted...it was funny lol.

I wanna watch it but erics sleeping next to me! he will whine if i wake him up...what is it??

HAHA just be like me and use you iPod headphones while your in bed with the computer and your husband is sleeping lol...

its a video of some dude being held by his ankles hanging out of a window apologizing lol..it was the guy who posted it his way of saying sorry.

HAHA just be like me and use you iPod headphones while your in bed with the computer and your husband is sleeping lol...

its a video of some dude being held by his ankles hanging out of a window apologizing lol..it was the guy who posted it his way of saying sorry.

LOL @ the headphones, i was looking for them but its sooooo freaking dark other than the headphones i think we are in the same position lol

and that guy totally made fun of my thread then hijacked it to kingdom come...(notice the edited title) & brought his friends over to help so he should apologize!

haha jk

WDWPluto- it's ok I don't think you are being argumentive..I get what you are saying..you sound like a great photographer!! It's nice to hear you take pride in your work,good for you :)

Thanks :) All that being said, I post a handful of low res preview images (that are fine tune edited) to my blog and I have no problem w/ clients reposting them to their blogs, knot bios, or whatever as long as they provide a link back to my site. It's actually a good thing as it's marketing for me. And one of my packages includes files or they're available for purchase. So I'm all for brides getting what they want.

Well I am not sure when you were married but now a days almost every photographer includes a CD/DVD with images included in the package.

I am flying in one of the best photographers in the country and guess what? My CD is included and I have the rights to MY photos.

Why Disney wants you to pay 1K for a CD with more than likely crappy MK photos is beyond me. Will I pay it? Yes.... Why? Because as much as it sucks I want MK photos.

Well, you are "paying" for the high res CD for that $7,500 you are spending. But tell me, are you getting the pictures un-edited? There is a lot more to what the photographer does now than just take the pics. There is post editing and time that goes into all of it. I would give you a cd for that price too though since it saves me a lot of time working on your photos for you to not buy them from me. There would be no collages or special album page creations or anything unless you paid more for it.

There is no legal debate as to the ownership of digital images and/or film negatives- they belong to the photographer unless he or she releases them. Final use of these should be addressed up front in your written contract with the photographer. Likewise- the photographer cannot use your picture for any commercial purpose such advertising, portfolio material, etc. unless you sign a modeling agreement to that effect.

Actually, what most brides sign give the photographer full rights to all of the pics to do whatever they want wiht thme. They could sell them to be useed in whatever manner they choose without letting you know or getting your consent. I know that most all wedding contracts give the photographer full right to use the pics in any manner they see fit. It does in mine and it was never questioned.

well after finally getting through all the pages, I just have to say that I'm sorry the pictures weren't what you were expecting or should ahave expected. If you have rights, as long as you have your release then you can scan your images in and share them to your hearts content. If you didn't pay for the rights, then you have no right to scan them in any manner, even for personal use. It's a common misconception of photography law. That's why a lot of photographers will sell high school seniors a file to use on their myspace, so they can share it. They can also get pictures removed from myspace if they don't have the photographers release to use it. It is not the law that you can scan it or print it so long as you are not making a profit from it.

Q: If I buy a photograph or painting from a photographer or an artist for display purposes, can I use the image for any other purpose?

A. No. Mere ownership of a photograph, a painting or any other copyrighted work does not convey any right to copy or to use the work other than for personal use. For instance, a painting can be hung in a home or office but, absent permission, it cannot be copied, reproduced or used for any other purposes.

The law provides that the transfer of ownership of any material object that is protected by copyright, does not of itself, convey any rights to the copyright. For example, the purchaser of a copyrighted photograph, painting or poster, intended for display purposes, does not acquire any right to copy, reproduce or use the work other than for its intended purpose. Even if one were to purchase an original portrait that was specially commissioned, the purchaser would only be able to frame and display the work. Unless the parties otherwise agree, the artist owns the copyright and the work cannot be copied or reproduced. Thus, without permission, the subject of the portrait cannot even make a holiday card from the painting. Similarly, no one can photocopy an entire book without violating the copyright ownerís exclusive rights in the work. In fact, radio stations and jukebox operators have to purchase licenses to broadcast or play music even if they own the records they are using.

8) "Oh, so copyright violation isn't a crime or anything?"
Actually, in the 90s in the USA commercial copyright violation involving more than 10 copies and value over $2500 was made a felony. So watch out.

Copyright is still violated whether you charged money or not, only damages are affected by that.

I want to make copies of my photos. Does my photographer really own the copyright of his/her pictures? Do I still have to pay the photographer if I make the copies myself at a copy shop?
Yes and yes. According to federal law, images produced by a professional photographer are copyrighted the moment they are created. Federal law prohibits copying or reproducing copyrighted material without permission from the owner of the copyright, i.e., the photographer. If you copy or scan your photos, the photographer should be paid just as if you were buying reprints. If you or your videographer transfer the proofs to videotape, the photographer should be paid just as if you were buying reprints. If you don't feel comfortable paying for these copies, find a photographer whose work is so good that you are glad to pay.

Well, you are "paying" for the high res CD for that $7,500 you are spending. But tell me, are you getting the pictures un-edited? There is a lot more to what the photographer does now than just take the pics. There is post editing and time that goes into all of it. I would give you a cd for that price too though since it saves me a lot of time working on your photos for you to not buy them from me. There would be no collages or special album page creations or anything unless you paid more for it.

My photos WILL be edited.

My package includes:
-8 hours of photography
-4x6 bordered prints of every edited image presented in archival print boxes
-Renaissance or Kambara 10x13 28-30 page matted album (up to 80 images)
-2 8x8 Kambara matted albums (20 pages, 30 images)
-Bridal and engagement session w/ 4x6 prints of all edited images (I swapped my bridal portraits for additional hours of wedding coverage as I won't get a chance to have them before the wedding)
-6 5x7 prints
-4 8x10 prints
-1 16x20 mounted print
-1 guest signature book
-High res DVD of all edited images w/ copyright release

Package total $6,500 + $500 for airfare

We are going to use the 2 8x8 albums as parent albums and we are swapping the 4x6 prints for rehearsal and rehearsal dinner coverage.

ETA: We also have two photographers so while the main one is with the bride then the assistant will be with the groom while getting ready and the main will be taking our photos after the ceremony while the second will be at the cocktail hour and so forth.

We of course are paying for their room as well.

My photos WILL be edited.

My package includes:
-8 hours of photography
-4x6 bordered prints of every edited image presented in archival print boxes
-Renaissance or Kambara 10x13 28-30 page matted album (up to 80 images)
-2 8x8 Kambara matted albums (20 pages, 30 images)
-Bridal and engagement session w/ 4x6 prints of all edited images (I swapped my bridal portraits for additional hours of wedding coverage as I won't get a chance to have them before the wedding)
-6 5x7 prints
-4 8x10 prints
-1 16x20 mounted print
-1 guest signature book
-High res DVD of all edited images w/ copyright release

Package total $6,500 + $500 for airfare

We are going to use the 2 8x8 albums as parent albums and we are swapping the 4x6 prints for rehearsal and rehearsal dinner coverage.

ETA: We also have two photographers so while the main one is with the bride then the assistant will be with the groom while getting ready and the main will be taking our photos after the ceremony while the second will be at the cocktail hour and so forth.

We of course are paying for their room as well.

Now thats something i would go for! I gotta start advertising for destination weddings!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter