Alternate to I-4 Orlando?

MarineVet

Mouseketeer
I've did a search on the boards, but didn't come up with what I am looking for.

Would someone please tell me about an alternate route to WDW without driving through downtown Orlando via I-4? We drive from South Carolina on I-95 to I-4 and it seems we always hit gridlock downtown. Thursday we are coming back down and I would love to be able to avoid that road.

I have heard people say there is another route by a toll road, which I don't mind paying for if its not got the gridlock traffic. What I would like to hear are people's experiences in getting there by using one of the tollways or any other method. Thanks so much!

You could pick up RT 417 in the Sanford area, north of Orlando and take that to go around Orlando.
Take 417 to exit 6 approx 50 miles, and then 536 straight into WDW about 2.5 miles.
It will add about 16 miles versus continuing on I-4.
417 is a toll road but seldom has heavy traffic.
If you're going to be passing through Orlando during morning or evening rush hours, you could hit significant traffic delays, most other times of day it shouldn't be too bad.

adjust your arrival time

I-4 thru the city is a B during traditional 'rush hour'

and manageable out side of that time.

I drive to Orlando and the parks regularly, but adjust my times to avoid 'rush hour'

We love 417. To us, unless you're a daily city driver, the pressure of I-4 is just too much when you're so close to Disney World!

Tolls are around $7.50 one way. We prefer to go past Exit 6 to the second Disney Exit. When you get off at Exit 6, you are stuck in bumper to bumper traffic with a lot of lights and people turning left into the DTD area. If you go to the next Disney Exit, you go for a few minutes on 192, then onto the Main Entrance which is more highway and less traffic lights.

417 is nice, uncrowded and easy to drive. We bring a roll of quarters but you can always pay and get change. There are a couple of exit booths that are exact change only, but you don't need to get off until you hit Disney.

Sometimes I get the impression from some folks on here that avoiding I-4 somehow makes you less of a "man" and more of a "wimp." If I can avoid someone switching across 6 lanes of traffic at 50 miles an hour, or the inevitable backup because of a fender bender, then so be it. Even at midnight, there's bad drivers and a lot more traffic than 417. We arrive happier and much less stressed by taking that way.

Thanks to all for the input. It is what I needed.:worship:

To miss evening rush hour we would have to be out of here by 5:30 am and that just never seems to happen. :sad2:

I believe we will try the toll route this time. Thanks again.

When you get off 417 at exit 6 (International Dr ) you will be on Rt 536, I believe sharadoc has it confused with exiting I-4 onto Rt 535.
There will be a traffic light at the bottom of the exit ramp and then 2 more before reaching the WDW welcome sign. From exit to welcome sign is approx 2.7 miles, traffic on 536 is not that bad, once you reach the welcome sign the road becomes Epcot Center Dr.

We love 417. To us, unless you're a daily city driver, the pressure of I-4 is just too much when you're so close to Disney World!

Tolls are around $7.50 one way. We prefer to go past Exit 6 to the second Disney Exit. When you get off at Exit 6, you are stuck in bumper to bumper traffic with a lot of lights and people turning left into the DTD area. If you go to the next Disney Exit, you go for a few minutes on 192, then onto the Main Entrance which is more highway and less traffic lights.

417 is nice, uncrowded and easy to drive. We bring a roll of quarters but you can always pay and get change. There are a couple of exit booths that are exact change only, but you don't need to get off until you hit Disney.

Sometimes I get the impression from some folks on here that avoiding I-4 somehow makes you less of a "man" and more of a "wimp." If I can avoid someone switching across 6 lanes of traffic at 50 miles an hour, or the inevitable backup because of a fender bender, then so be it. Even at midnight, there's bad drivers and a lot more traffic than 417. We arrive happier and much less stressed by taking that way.

Makes you less of a man (or woman) not in the least!!! It makes you SMART!! I drive that horrible road daily and am constantly searching for a better route from my home to my job at OIA. BTW, we only have 4 lanes max. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter