Alot of my recent photos have been blurry

Discussion in 'Photography Board' started by 10dedfish, Apr 20, 2011.

1. 10dedfish

10dedfish XBOX: Mattisamus

Hey everyone,

I have a Rebel XS with various lenses, but I have noticed recently that alot of my photos have been blurry with my 75-250 F4-F5.6 lens. I thought that maybe I was rushing the shot, but even after slowing down and letting the camera focus, I still have about half my shots that are blurry. I am at work right now, so I don't have access to any examples to post, but the exposure was usually at least 1/160th. I was not using a tripod of any of the shots, but figured it would not be an issue when shooting that fast.

Matt

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. ukcatfan

ukcatfan DIS Veteran

For the 75 end, that is fast enough, but not for the 250 end. Multiply the focal length by 1.6 and 1/that number is the slowest you should go. Also, 1/160 is not really fast enough if the subject is moving. That probably needs 1/500 or faster.

4. photo_chick

photo_chick Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about

It does sound like your shutter speed just wasn't fast enough but without actually seeing an example it's hard to tell.

5. Bstanley

Bstanley DisNoid

There was a time where I was taking a lot of blurry pictures with my XS - including when I was using lenses that are noted for their sharpness.

It turns out that the camera was simply focusing someplace other than where I thought it was focusing. I had left all 7 auto focus points active and I wasn't really paying attention to which one the camera was selecting each time.

I've now set the camera to "One Shot Focus" and I only use the center focus point. If I want the focus to be on some other part of the scene I just focus on that part and then holding the shutter button halfway down I shift the view to center the scene I want. I've tried using the 'back-button focus' technique but so far I'm not as comfortable with that.

The end result is a lot less 'blurry' shots.

6. bob100

bob100 DIS Veteran

There is no 75-250 lens!
    Do you mean the Canon 55-250IS or the Canon 75-300 ? Many of the older model Canon 75-300 zooms do not have "IS" and are optically not so good

7. 10dedfish

Yes, sorry it was the 75-300. I was trying to type this up before I had to head out into the field for work. Going from memory, alot of my shots were in the 135-150 range. I will look at the extif tonight and make note of what the ranges were. Once again, thanks to everyone for the responses. +2 cool points to everyone!:thumbsup2

Matt

8. photo_chick

photo_chick Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about

I shot with the 75-300 elepant for a several years both with film and on my crop DSLR's. I found I really needed the shutter speed up about at least 1/250 (o the 75 end) to 1/500 (on the 300 end) with the crop DSLR's. It's a beastly slow lens and a black hole that sucks all the light up. It's also got fairly poor resolution for digital. I ditched for an old 70-210 f/4 ($100- $150 used) that totally rocks and blows the under $200 new tele zooms out of the water.

9. disneyboy2003

disneyboy2003 DIS Veteran

I'm sure you've already done this, but did you check that the lens is still switched to "autofocus" (AF), and didn't get accidentally switched to "manual focus" (MF)?

I know this is one of those obvious "TV doesn't work. Step 1: check that it's plugged in" steps. But it's happened to me a few times without realizing it. And when it happens, all 100% of my pictures are blurry. :sad2:

10. 10dedfish

Thanks Photochick, I will experiment around with the lens and see if I get the same results you had. Wouldn't surprise me, as its not exactly a top of the line lens.
    Disneyboy: yes, I had the lens in AF, and checked it several times during the session. And it never hurts to do the stupid checks, I ask myself those questions almost every day. :thumbsup2

Matt

11. mytripsandraces

mytripsandraces DIS Veteran

I don't know your camera, but I do know that twice I have encountered people who didn't like their cameras because the shots were always blurry and when I checked them, they had been switched to macro, so, of course, all their distance shots were blurry.

12. LPZ_Stitch!

LPZ_Stitch! ºoº DIS Veteran

Just backing up what photo_chick posted ... the 75-300 (without IS) is a *very* light-hungry lens that isn't very sharp even when the light is good. I was generally getting crappy pictures from it on anything other than bright sunny days; just a little bit of clouds and getting reasonable shutter speeds (1/500 or better, just to compensate for hand-shake) was impossible without cranking the ISO all the way up.

Replacing it with the 55-250IS was one of the best things I've done for my T2i.

Canon "L" lenses are WAAAAY out of my budget for the foreseeable future, but there's a world of difference just between that 75-300 and the 55-250IS! :goodvibes

13. 10dedfish

Checked that too. I was in Manual the whole time. Im leaning more towards the lens is crap, I looked threw a lot of my older photos and noticed that any kind of portraits had issues. Works great on landscapes though. :rolleyes:

Matt

14. ukcatfan

ukcatfan DIS Veteran

On a DSLR, there is no macro mode on the camera. To do macro, you have to buy a lens that has a macro mode. I am almost positive that it is not a macro lens as they are typically expensive and it is a budget lens.

15. bob100

bob100 DIS Veteran

absolutely true, the 55-250IS is an amazingly sharp (but cheap) lens

16. 10dedfish

Ok, looking at the extif info, the inside shots were 1/80, F5, iso 800. The outside shots were mostly 1/200th, F5, iso 200. It was pretty sunny outside, we were under a covered walkway, and the camera metered mid range the whole time.

I may be looking for the other lens when I get the chance. BTW, the other lens, is it the Canon EF-S 55-250 f/4.5-5.6 IS?

Matt