1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

ALOHA! The Polynesian Resort Information Thread: September 2012

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by guitarob, Sep 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thorphin

thorphin DIS Veteran

Just took another look at the schedule on the tikiman pages. If they stay on schedule, it means that the only longhouse under renovation during our stay at the end of September is Rapa Nui, which is the only longhouse I was hoping to avoid. Woot.

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. chamonix

chamonix DIS Veteran DIS Lifetime Sponsor

Thanks, Tess. I'm not worried at all about the longhouse rehabs, I've been there before during them and they were never a bother. Last time they did the major rehab of Hawaii we were the first guests on the day it reopened, just as we will be this time! (just a coincidence) I am just sad about the volcano pool being closed. As of right now I was still able to book a cabana during those dates though, so will keep our fingers crossed. I know they would rather close it during February, but with the GF pool being closed at the same time I assume they had to push the volcano pool rehab back. I don't think I could change resorts because we love the Poly CL too much, but would have changed our dates if we had known in time. At this point, even if I wanted them to move us to another resort for that same week there won't be availability. We will stay at the Poly pool or no pool, because we are diehard Poly-lovers. :flower3:

4. Tess

Tess DIS Veteran - 1997

And that is what I meant about schedules, they change all the time. The pool may or may not be closed--strictly a matter of convenience for Disney and scheduling the crew to perform the necessary maintenance. I hope it doesn't interfere with your trip, but if it does, there will be accommodations for you, i.e., transportation to the GF themed pool for the slide.

I am with you, Polynesian CL is my hands down favorite and a bit of pool discomfort wouldn't cause me to move. Heck, when CL was moved to Tahiti, we muddled through. I'm happy the powers that be didn't make the mistake of "moving" CL this time and simply shut it down. That year was a nightmare experience. :scared1:

Hoping the schedule is off by a week or so for you and your party!

5. djse7en

djse7en Earning My Ears

Well thank you to everyone for their suggestions I just changed my ressie to
    The poly 05/06/13 through 5/12/13. Staying at Hawaii GV CL so I hope no issue with rehab pool etc.. My wife and stepdaughter have been to WDW before will be be the twins and my first time. Any recommendations on what room I should put a request in for, are there any GV rooms better then another i.e. noise etc... :beach:

6. Bethany6537

Bethany6537 Earning My Ears

What is the reopening date for Hawaii??? We are booked Feb 24-March 4 and I would gladly be willing to test out the new renovations :rotfl:

7. djse7en

djse7en Earning My Ears

These are the tenitive start dates from tikimans site right now and the rehab takes appox (2 months) so I am figuring first week in march if it goes as planned may be sooner if no problems with rehab. I may be wrong but this is what I know.

Hawaii January 6
    Samoa February 3
    Niue/ Rarotonga March 3
    Tokelau March 31
    Aotearoa April 21
    Tonga (lounge only but will be closed) May 5
    Fiji May 19
    Tuvalu June 16
    Tahiti July 14
    Rapa Nui August 11

8. chamonix

They opened up reservations for CL starting on March 12. I haven't checked if they are full on that date or not, but that's what we have booked. Actually coming in on the 11th and staying one night non-CL until they open. We did the same thing years ago when they did the last major refurb (think it was October 2007 or 2008?) and it opened on time. Cross your fingers they will get it done this time too! :thumbsup2

9. chamonix

If you want a patio or balcony, request 1st or 3rd floor. If it's important to you, you could request "close to the elevators/lounge" but I don't see any bad rooms on that side really. Might not want the first room closest to the elevators/lounge on the first floor though, as that's where you might hear the service carts more than further away down the hall.

10. sjs314

sjs314 "Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and

Dani I did not realize you we're going in Nov Too. :cool1:

We are still not sure of our dates but 11/3 to 11/10 or 11/5 to 11/12. I wish JB flights were out would help in decideing.

11. ixmnrs

ixmnrs Mouseketeer

Does this closure have anything to do with any closure in late August / Sept? I thought I saw something like that browsing through the thread and on Tikiman's page.

12. hebbynan

hebbynan Chase and Eli's Mom

Oh man!! I hope they stick to this schedule and don't get behind!! We requested Tahiti for our stay and we check in September 18th. If they take 2 months that is REALLY cutting it close!!! :headache:

13. pas130

pas130 Always missing Florida....

Nov 1-8 :goodvibes

:banana::banana::banana:

14. angbuz

angbuz Mouseketeer

Oh my goodness, that looks like a fantastic room with a Great view. we would love to get Samoa, third floor, Volcano pool view. I'm just curious how and when you requested your building, view, etc. Did you call, do online check-in and request it then?? I just want to make sure I do it right so we can hopefully get what we request.
    Thanks!!! :)

15. pixarmom

pixarmom DIS Veteran

Hello! Our last two Poly stays have been Samoa/3rd floor/Volcano pool view.

In the past, we've never made any requests. But in 2011, I requested balcony or patio in advance and via phone. When we arrived, I asked if we could avoid a parking lot view. The CM at the front desk said she had a great room for us if we were willing to wait, and of course, we were. Well worth the "wait" while we went to Epcot and returned to a wonderful room on the 3rd floor of Samoa facing the volcano pool!

This time, I called in advance and specifically requested Samoa/3rd floor/Volcano pool view. Then I called a week before our stay to make sure the requests were still on our reservation (they were!) And then I checked in online and checked both Samoa and third floor in the requests section. When we arrived, all systems were down and they were issuing temporary keys, but I was so happy they were able to grant all of our requests!

Good luck!!

16. princessap

princessap DIS Veteran

That is the exact request I made until Samoa began renovations during our stay. Requested Tokelau when I booked but not sure I am going to call and check. Might just see what happens. I read on here somewhere that it is a far walk to ttc and gch from Tokelau, anyone know if this is true? We are only there three days but need to get to ttc quick for BBB appts one day and chef mickeys another. Thanks in advance. I am so excited

17. Jo-Anne

Jo-Anne DIS Veteran

Its actually quite a quick walk from Tokelau to TTC - probably no more than 5-8 minutes I'd say. Its a great location to walk to anything you need in resort or monorails/boats.

18. Debrn

Debrn Mouseketeer

Neither is a far walk. Tokelau is a great location.

19. akkraft

akkraft Earning My Ears

Regarding the Volcano pool closure, I've called several times on this& originally it looked like the acid wash would start on the day of our arrival 18th feb (might be later now). so i asked if we'd be able to hop to the GF pools, they said yes, Poly guests would be able to use them& so sweet, they have a pretty cool kids play area etc at the GF& if you get a room on the west side of the poly grounds you're only like .41 miles to the poly (yes i measured it on Google Earth) so clearly not ideal, but a tolerable workaround. best luck to all getting a stay free of closures & noise etc :)

20. Tinkerbellie16

Tinkerbellie16 <marquee><font color=deeppink>Certified <font colo

I will be at WDW (POR) for a conference and I will have a rental car. I would like to pick up a case of water and some other items and leave it at the Poly for my return trip 8 days later. I am not planning on having a rental car for the Poly trip. I've read on the 'shipping to resorts' sticky that the resorts will hold packages (sounds like up to 2 weeks) but what about me giving it to Bell services for them to hold for 8 days (I'd drop it off on a Friday and then check in the following Saturday)? And how does it need to be packaged? I was hoping just to hand over the case of water and then two bags worth of stuff (nothing refrigerated though) with my name and 'be back in 8 days' sort of thing. Is that possible?
    Thanks!

21. disneydreamin247

disneydreamin247 DIS Veteran

I completely agree! I like the price of the flight down and I am thinking of committing to the one way flight so far. We have to fly down on a friday and it is only $112 PP which is like a steal for a Friday flight! They have a 10 AM flight arriving at 1. I would be okay with arriving later so that we aren't wiped out from getting up at 4 in the morning and then wasting the rest of the day. I would like to eat at BOG that night. Then the next morning head to PC for our cruise. When we get back from the cruise I still do not know where we will be though. :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.